Roads in Slough to get permeable surfaces in flood defence trial

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The flood defence system sees selected roads transformed with permeable surfaces that soak up surface water.

It is one of 25 innovative new environmental projects around England to be backed with government cash.

A genuinely interesting story this, or at least I think so. (click on orange link above to read full story)

With some areas facing continual flooding problems, the government is trialling different schemes all across the country to prevent flooding coastal erosion, to see what works and what doesn't. This "spongy road" scheme, as its been called, in Slough is just one of more that twenty five trials going on. Sounds sensible to me, but perhaps the government should go further and actually encourage people to start having gardens again, rather than paving over every bit of green space we have.??

• I wonder how these will get on when the water freezes. IIRC this is a main cause of potholes, where water permeates the surface and then freezes pushing up the tarmac which then breaks up.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!