Will officer Derek Chauvin get a fair trial ?.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Will the court give into the braying mob or will it carry out it's legal duty and try Derek Chauvin in a fair and impartial way ?..

A violent criminal unfortunately lost his life while being arrested by the police carrying out their duty to protect the public. The drug fuelled criminal required to be restrained during the arrest. During restraint the criminal died. The death could have been due to the restraint OR the presence of drugs in the criminal's system OR other health related condition or all of those things combined..

The Braying Mob is acting like jury and judge and has already found the officer guilty of murder before his trial. This cannot be allowed to circumvent the the findings of the court.

What do other members think ??.

The Voice of Reason

• I think it's going to be difficult to find a jury that hasn't already made it's mind up. At least the US has jury selection so the worst nutters can be weeded out.

• I have a suspicion Chauvin may be convicted of no more than manslaughter but it may have much to do with the jury mix. If it's murder, I guess the sentence would be determined, not by the knee action itself but the time span. Either way, if it's not the death penalty or the maximum prison sentence for murder, I'm thinking BLM will let us know.

• Will the court give into the braying mob or will it carry out it's legal duty and try Derek Chauvin in a fair and impartial way ?..

A violent criminal unfortunately lost his life while being arrested by the police carrying out their duty to protect the public. The drug fuelled criminal required to be restrained during the arrest. During restraint the criminal died. The death could have been due to the restraint OR the presence of drugs in the criminal's system OR other health related condition or all of those things combined..

The Braying Mob is acting like jury and judge and has already found the officer guilty of murder before his trial. This cannot be allowed to circumvent the the findings of the court.

What do other members think ??.

Whether or not he was a 'violent criminal' the issue is whether he was unlawfully killed.

I dare say that the defence will claim that he wasn't suffocated, he had heart failure or something like that. They will ignore the fact that the extreme stress brought about by this cop may have caused that heart failure, if that's what it was.

If you saw the footage of that cop with his knee pressing on his throat for 9 minutes, with frequent complaints that he could not breathe, you will be in little doubt about what was going on here. Such force and for such a duration was not necessary.

• The braying lynch mob has been a feature of America for the last 200 years or more. It's designed to strike fear into the Judge and jury. I fear that Derek Chauvin will never receive a fair and equitable trial. No one doubts that the pressure on the criminal's neck contributed to his death but there is evidence to dispute that this was the sole cause. This evidence has to be taken into account despite the mob.

The Voice of Reason

• Jury retired to deliberate on the evidence. But they are under pressure from the Antifa thugs who will riot and burn if the Former Police Officer is not sentenced to being " Hung Drawn and Quartered". Mob violence at its worst.

The Voice of Reason

• I'm not black and I would join them because justice needs to be served and if he walks justice has not been served. He is guilty. We have already heard what the doctors have had to say. End of. I suspect if he walks he will get a bullet in the head so one way or another justice will be served. I would prefer him to go to a predominately Black prison though. Maybe some prisoners could lean on his neck until he starts coughing and spluttering away then suffocates and finally spasms from the reflex like hanging without the neck break.

• He should face the full force of the justice system if he is found guilty of premeditated murder. I support that decision, no doubt about it....... What is nasty though is Mob Justice. The threats of burnings and violent riots by the braying mob is NOT justice. In fact it is an example of the evil underclass which is destroying American society.

The Voice of Reason

• He should face the full force of the justice system if he is found guilty of premeditated murder. I support that decision, no doubt about it....... What is nasty though is Mob Justice. The threats of burnings and violent riots by the braying mob is NOT justice. In fact it is an example of the evil underclass which is destroying American society.

Indeed, and any one who takes part in that kind of behaviour or condones it is no better than Derek Chauvin, two wrongs don't make a right end of.

• Medical Examiners Report On George Floyd

As usual a calm and discompassionate look at facts, rather than hysterical sloganeering, reveals more in the way of relevance.

It is true that George Floyd had Fentanyl and methamphetamine in his blood. There were also traces of cannabinioids. This means he had used narcotics, but doesn't mean he was under the influence of them at that time. It doesn't make him a "Drug Crazed Maniac". Oh, and he also tested positive for Covid 19.

Meth constricts your blood vessels, which can raise your risk for lung damage and high blood pressure in the arteries to the lungs.

Fentanyl works by binding to the body's opioid receptors, which are found in areas of the brain that control pain and emotions. Its effects include happiness, but also drowsiness, nausea, confusion, constipation, sedation, tolerance, addiction, respiratory depression and arrest, unconsciousness, coma, and death.

George Floyd, under the influence of either or both of those at the time of his arrest wouldn't have been in any state to resist arrest. So we can either rule out the "drug crazed maniac" rhetoric or say that the police acted excessively. You choose.

He wasn't a "rampaging violent criminal". He was arrested over a dud $20 bill. Wow... what a wierd country.... you can walk down the street openly carrying a locked and loaded automatic rifle and the police won't even look at you. Try to pass a forged bank note and they can murder you in the street and expect to get away with it.

How A Fake $20 Bill Led To George Floyd's Death

Of course, apologists for police brutality and even murder, will always defend the copper as a "brave defender of law and order". And most police officers are. But some are bad and especially so in America where recourse to excessive violence is more prevalent. Indeed, is considered the norm.

I am glad the charges against Chauvin are reduced to manslaughter rather than murder. If convicted, Derek Chauvin will not be executed. Up to 40 years in prison would be harsh and given his offences and the number of black people in prison in America, it's possible he might not survive year one, but that's something else that's considered the norm in USA.

I have no personal issue over Derek Chauvin getting off or being convicted. This trial is happening in America under American law. They have a legal system and it's up to them to administer justice in their own way. It's not for us to decide whether it's fair or not.

What we should be wary of is those who think we should adopt American methods here. Especially the death penalty. We cannot countenance such a thing here.

• I expect he will get second degree which is I believe equivalent to our manslaughter charge .

George Floyd was restrained with hand cuffs behind his back with three policeman on his body he was going nowhere .

Chauvin is a brutal man having 17 previous complaints against him already and inevitably his brutality escalated . He has been given a fair trial and it will be up to the jury to give a fair judgement . It’s no trivial matter a man has lost his life here a black man who did not need to have died under a white mans knee.

If he gets off Scott free of course America will explode because justice must be done and not only done but seen to be done .Who is their right mind would chose to be born black in America .

• Who is their right mind would chose to be born black in America

No one gets to choose the colour skin they are born with, what a weird thing to say. :rolleyes:

Also what difference doe the colour of George Floyd's skin make, surely it wouldn't have been a trivial matter if he had been white and been killed at the hands of the police. :/

• I used to think that the US was an advanced, civilised country when I was young. What did I know? It's still the wild west out there with the attitude of South Africa pre-Mandela. The police are out of control. Their justice system is awful and corrupt, so actually no-one is safe from false criminal accusations that come from out of nowhere carrying with them the prospect of 20+ years in a jail with no discipline and the imminent prospect of being murdered every day.

It has such a long way to go. It will never be a civilised country in my lifetime.

• No one gets to choose the colour skin they are born with, what a weird thing to say. :rolleyes:

Also what difference doe the colour of George Floyd's skin make, surely it wouldn't have been a trivial matter if he had been white and been killed at the hands of the police. :/

If you don’t know there is no point in discussing it .

When a situation becomes intolerable anarchy will ensure .American society sowed the seed of their own destruction by their gross racism and abuse of civil rights and much of it within living memory . The evil overclass the white majority have piled up hate which has now come to its logical conclusion . The death of George Floyd was both cruel and unnecessary and a man of little importance in the world has become the spark that has ignited the present troubles .

• When a situation becomes intolerable anarchy will ensure .American society sowed the seed of their own destruction by their gross racism and abuse of civil rights and much of it within living memory . The evil overclass the white majority have piled up hate which has now come to its logical conclusion . The death of George Floyd was both cruel and unnecessary and a man of little importance in the world has become the spark that has ignited the present troubles .

Sorry Jack I can't agree with that. The vast majority of decent Americans just want to live a normal life by working to support themselves and family. They don't get involved in criminality or violence. It's the people both Black and White on the fringes of society who want it all, are not prepared to work and use criminality to fund their lifestyle, who are spoiling the lives of the many. Criminality has ruined Neighbourhoods, Cities and States.

The Police need the support of government to stop this criminality.

A test for Biden will be to stop lawlessness and he will be judged by the way he allows the Criminal justice system to operate in a free and honest manner by putting a stop to all that Lynch Mob violence. He has the power by virtue of his job. But has he got the commitment ?. ..

The Voice of Reason

• Sorry Jack I can't agree with that. The vast majority of decent Americans just want to live a normal life by working to support themselves and family. They don't get involved in criminality or violence. It's the people both Black and White on the fringes of society who want it all, are not prepared to work and use criminality to fund their lifestyle, who are spoiling the lives of the many. Criminality has ruined Neighbourhoods, Cities and States.

The Police need the support of government to stop this criminality.

A test for Biden will be to stop lawlessness and he will be judged by the way he allows the Criminal justice system to operate in a free and honest manner by putting a stop to all that Lynch Mob violence. He has the power by virtue of his job. But has he got the commitment ?. ..

Not by Americans he won't. Americans believe that they have the greatest legal system on Earth and in some respects, they have. The American Constitution is a magnificent document. The Founding Fathers were able to base that and their fledgling legal system by taking the best of every country's legal systems* and discarding those elements that they considered unjust. On paper, there is nothing at all wrong with American law.

It is in the application of it since then that they have fallen down. Plea bargaining...... loaded juries (especially in the southern states), the death penalty.... lots more besides (I'll leave you to look them up for yourselves). The early principle of each state governing itself was a sound decision, until it became obvious that it was at the mercy of racist governors that were voted in by white electorates (again, especially in the south) that had carte blanche to pass the laws that promoted rampant racism. The FBI wasn't founded until 1908 by which time the Civil War had come and gone and they still hadn't gotten to grips with civil liberties. Racism was never adequately dealt with and by the time the President tried to deal with crime at a Federal level, it was too late. Nobody really made a major political issue of civil liberties until Kennedy tried in the early 1960s, continued by Johnson who did a lot, but was constantly hamstrung by the Vietnam War.

And so America is where it is today. Most of Kennedy / johnson's civil rights legislation has become distorted, confused and manipulated in the 60 or so years since it was written and justice is at the mercy of "Crackerjack" lawyers who act for the rich and have the resources to make the law say anything they want it to.

As one black prisoner awaiting execution said to an NBC reporter: "There aint no rich white kids on death row."

*much of it English law, such as the right to silence, trial by jury, the presumption of innocence and Habeus Corpus."

• What it all boils down to is a case of one rule for us and one rule for them kind of thing. We rarely get see the police held accountable over here and if they are it is often lenient compared to an equal charge if it was brought upon a citizen. It's how they retain their power over others but it's wrong that it should be that way and legal systems whether here or in the US should treat law enforcement equally even when they break the law themselves to put a stop to a criminal. They can't be left to roam free without any enforcement upon them as this then breeds corruption and cover up's. In this case the legally system is corrupt. It all a show to make it look like the legal system has done it's job. What will happen now who knows. But I have no doubt it will breed even more outrage from the BLM movement and lead to even more arrests. This then feeds even more power into BLMs hands as they cry out for justice and things carry on as they have done. Police enforcement with impunity.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!