Russian invasion of Ukraine

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Western leaders urge Russia to lower Ukraine tensions
    The US and its European allies urge Russia to de-escalate, amid fears it could invade Ukraine.
    www.bbc.co.uk
    Biden and Putin hold talks amid Russia-Ukraine tensions
    The US and Russian leaders speak by video link, as Moscow warns tensions in Europe are "off the scale".
    www.bbc.co.uk

Biden and Putin had their chinwag today, but it seems that the White House indicated the other day that the Americans would not intervene militarily if the Russians invade Ukraine. So, has Putin been given the green light to Putin, in affect, to cause as much death and mayhem as he chooses?

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59558099

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59567377

Biden and Putin had their chinwag today, but it seems that the White House indicated the other day that the Americans would not intervene militarily if the Russians invade Ukraine. So, has Putin been given the green light to Putin, in affect, to cause as much death and mayhem as he chooses?

It took a two hour meeting to tell him that? Oh, I forgot - Biden probably needed a nap after every few sentences.

• Putin probably ran rings around the doddery Geriatric Biden. Biden needs to be replaced asap as he has absolutely no idea what he is doing. Harris is not the person to succceed Biden. The west needs people of intellect and strength to negotiate with foreign leaders.

The Voice of Reason

• This is why this situation is so dangerous as the last two posts think Biden is too old (hard to disagree with that) and not up to the job. Putin might make that same judgment and thinks he can do as he pleases.

• Putin was sniggering at him over the mute button so yes he probably is thinking the same. There should be an age limit put on political leaders. nobody over the age of say 55 allowed to run a country. The other disadvantage of having oldies run a county is that they mostly only concern themselves with what will affect the rest of the life and live by beliefs that they where brought up with and are out of touch from reality in the modern world and those growing up who think and live differently. They have no idea about the real world and behave more like grandparents doting over their grandchildren who unintentionally selfishly do not always have the grandchildren's best interests at heart and see it more as a right of passage.

• The following is well worth having a listen. It puts a lot of things into perspective.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If Biden was the best candidate for president the American lefty Democrats could muster, they are in one hell of a mess. He is useless, and a disgrace to America.

The kindest thing they can so with him is to put him is a geriatric nursing home.

The Voice of Reason

• Putin says Russia has 'nowhere to retreat' over Ukraine
    President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had no room to retreat in a standoff with the United States over Ukraine and would be forced into a tough…
    www.reuters.com

Putin is repeatly playing the victim card here, but does he have a point in a way?

Supposedly, after the Soviet Union collapsed, the Americans promised Putin that NATO would never expand into former Warsaw Pact countries, yet that's exactly what has happened and Putin has been raging about it ever since. This article paints a different picture.

BUT, if the countries of Eastern Europe are no longer part of the Soviet Union/Russian Empire (use whatever term you like) they can do as they please, can they not?

What Putin is basically saying to Eastern Europe is that if he cannot control them, then he will destroy them.

I don't take the 100k troops he has on Ukraine's border as bluff, nor the tens of thousands he has already killed in Ukraine over these last several years.

• putin is sabre rattling when he says he will nuke nato countries. He knows that it would provoke a nuclear response and his own country would be a radioactive wasteland for millenia to come. We have nukes too, mr putin. Is this all building up into another cuban missile crisis? I have only seen films about that and read wiki but it got pretty close to a war back then and they managed to find a way out. Oh well, if they do drop the bomb we wont know about it. it will be that quick.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• putin is sabre rattling when he says he will nuke nato countries. He knows that it would provoke a nuclear response and his own country would be a radioactive wasteland for millenia to come. We have nukes too, mr putin. Is this all building up into another cuban missile crisis? I have only seen films about that and read wiki but it got pretty close to a war back then and they managed to find a way out. Oh well, if they do drop the bomb we wont know about it. it will be that quick.

I live in London, so it would be a quick end for me, if that happened.

• Hold on he might not be talking ISBMs here. Don't forget that tank shells these days can be nuclear and he has a very good armament of tanks that are superior to any of ours. I think those kind of ground nukes are allowed. It's easy to think the worst when Nukes are spoke about. We could flatten his tanks with air power as we dominate the air but whether we will want to escalate things I'm not sure. We may be better off just letting him do as he pleases to his non NATO member neighbours. It's the spreading of NATO countries in that part of the world that is making him nervous and pushing forward plus he has grand ambitions to make Russia into the powerful USSR it once was.

Lets not forget if we fuck with him he may switch off our gas supplies. He holds all the cards while he has the fuel and no doubt there will be much more when the Siberian ice and Methane starts to escape. We need to diplomatically behave as a friend. Let the US have their chip on their shoulder with Russia if they want but we should stay well out of it. It's the US that have caused this with the escalation of troops moving closer to Russia including Afghan and getting more Eastern European countries into NATO. Something else to consider is if we start dropping bombs on him we maybe dropping bombs on those gas pipes so shooting ourselves in the foot. Especially if the Yanks get involved who love a Blue on Blue and complete clusterfuck.

• Realistically, we have no claim or responsibility for Ukraine.

I do feel sorry for its people if Russia decide to invade (which they may well do over the Christmas/New Year period when no-one is looking), but in the end, they are not part of NATO and we have no responsibility for them.

So, reluctantly, I think my position would have to be for us to keep out of it, except that we should warn him not to enter into our territory, or else we will strike back.

• And thank god (so to speak) that it's not a NATO country of we would be entering into another worthless war by now with no benefit to ourselves and will only bring more poverty and a threat of danger on the ground back here in the UK for the general public.

• The UK needs to be neutral in the Russian/Ukraine situation. Pull any of our troops out of that area and be prepared to act in a unbiased friendly negotiator role if required. Otherwise stay away.

The Voice of Reason

• Ukraine crisis: Risks remain as Russia and West talk
    After a week of talks, there is no sign of Russia pulling back its forces from areas near Ukraine.
    www.bbc.co.uk
    Russia-Ukraine: US warns of 'false-flag' operation
    Russia is plotting to stage acts of provocation to create a pretext to invade Ukraine, a US official says.
    www.bbc.co.uk

The Americans and Russians have been talking all week, but nothing seems to come of it.

The Americans have told the Russians that you can't just go invading other countries and expect to have normal relations with the West.

The Russians have told the Americans that they do not want NATO on their borders. Full stop. They "feel" threatened. If you click on the first link, the page shows a clear pic of Russia being "surrounded" by NATO.

The Russians have said that all the countries that border with themselves are basically "theirs" and they can do as they wish with them. (my slant on their position) We say all the countries that border Russia are sovereign countries and are not part of the Russian Empire anymore and can join NATO if they wish.

When you look at what this actually means, we only have a squadron of planes based in the Baltics as opposed to the Russians who have thousands of fighter aircraft, hardly comparable. And the last time I looked, since the break up of the USSR, no NATO country has ever attacked Russia. Yet, Russia has attacked or interfered in mulitple countries on its border.

Who is threatening who here?

Now we have this Sudetenland like story where the Russians will likely attack their own people to justify a full on invasion of Ukraine.

Do we just stand by and watch as Russia destroys Ukraine? They will, if left unchallenged.

• We, in the UK do not have the resources to go to war with Russia. We should NOT be involved. The possible conflict is between Ukraine and Russia. If that occurs and Ukraine is overwhelmed, the EU countries closest to Ukraine should step in and repel Russia..

The US and the UK have no right to fight a war which has nothing to do with them.. By all means commence trading sanctions, that's permissable. But there should be no American or British troops deployed anywhere on continental Europe.

The Voice of Reason

• What if we sent "trainers" into Ukraine to help them out? I gather there are some there already.

And folks, don't misunderstand me. I have no desire to go to war with Russia, the consequences could be terrible, but if Putin does as he wants and no one stands up to him, he may be at out own doorstep in the not too distant future. Rather deal with him over there, then closer to home.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!