Russian invasion of Ukraine

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • And folks, don't misunderstand me. I have no desire to go to war with Russia, the consequences could be terrible, but if Putin does as he wants and no one stands up to him, he may be at out own doorstep in the not too distant future. Rather deal with him over there, then closer to home.

Russia has to go through the EU before they get anywhere near us. I'm sure Germany, France, Italy and the other countries of the EU can stop any Russian advance. Unless they all run up France's wartime flag :- "The white cross of Loraine on a white background". :D :D :D

• True, as far as land forces go, but we have their warships going up and down the Channel, almost every day now and...

Maybe we could claim putin has WMDs, get some flakey expert to say they have. 🤣

The people of Salisbury don't need any convincing Ron, as to what type of weapons Putin has. and will use.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• This appears to me now like Putin just flexing his muscles. If he was going to attack they would have done it by now. The dangerous scenario here is if he did attack and we done nothing about it then it gives him the ambition to push further into Europe and if that happened we would have no choice but to step in as part of NATO. Our only saving grace here is the Ukraine is not part of NATO.

• Seriously though Ron, Putin is bad news and the sooner he catches some mysterious disease or has a "accident", the better.

• This appears to me now like Putin just flexing his muscles. If he was going to attack they would have done it by now. The dangerous scenario here is if he did attack and we done nothing about it then it gives him the ambition to push further into Europe and if that happened we would have no choice but to step in as part of NATO. Our only saving grace here is the Ukraine is not part of NATO.

Exactly Norra and this is exactly what an American general who was in charge of NATO ten years ago, warned about.

There comes a point in Putin's brain where he thinks he can do what he wants and go unchallenged. I think that point was reached several years ago. Look at the ease of which he took Crimea. What if he decides that the Balkans are next? Unlike Ukraine, they are in NATO.

We don't have to confront Russia directly, but we could supply Ukraine with weapons and be blatant about it, no removed ID numbers from the stuff, that would send a clear message to him.

• Interesting spot there Norra. :thumbup:

Clearly the Germans have told us to stay out of their airspace if we are supplying weapons to Ukraine. Now we know, as if we didn't already, which side they're on.

The story says the opposite in that the UK never requested access to German airspace to begin with. This is most likely because someone in the UK told the Germans through backdoor methods that there would be a weapons run to Ukraine and we were told via the same backdoor to stay out of German airspace. That way there is no official dispute.

• Interesting spot there Norra. :thumbup:

Clearly the Germans have told us to stay out of their airspace if we are supplying weapons to Ukraine. Now we know, as if we didn't already, which side they're on.

The story says the opposite in that the UK never requested access to German airspace to begin with. This is most likely because someone in the UK told the Germans through backdoor methods that there would be a weapons run to Ukraine and we were told via the same backdoor to stay out of German airspace. That way there is no official dispute.

Has Germany ever been on our side?

• Well, they have delayed that new Russian pipeline that totally bypasses Ukaine, so I suppose we should give them credit for that OB, I suppose...

• Germany refused to supply defensive weapons to Ukraine

and now they are sticking the EU boot in and making our supply planes fly around Germany.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.u…kraine-weapon-supply-run/

The british havent exactly been friendly towards germany in recent years. Perhaps the germans are taking back control.

Why would Germany want to annoy the russians by helping Britain to supply Ukraine? Britain is no friend of Europe. The british government hates europe so what do the europeans owe us?

If this was a nato issue then of course all routes through nato airspace should be open to allied aircraft but it isnt. Ukraine is not a nato member state. Ukraine as far as i know has not asked Germany for help. Britain is getting involved for our own reasons which have nothing to do with germany. the question you should be asking is; Why SHOULD the Germans let us use their airspace?

if it was up to me we woldnt be getting involved at all.

and now they are sticking the EU boot in and making our supply planes fly around Germany.

hold on a minute. I have just looked at the map you posted. How the fk is this anything to do with the eu?

It was germany that denied use of their sovereign airspace. the planes then flew through danish airspace (denmark is an eu state) and then poland. (poland is an eu state). How does that make it a case of the eu denying the use of eu airspace? in fact there is no such thing as eu airspace. every eu country controls its own airspace. this is a british / german issue and nothing to do with the eu..

you people really do hate the eu. if the germans have developed a negative attitude towards the british i can see whre its coming from.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

According to the correction in that article, the UK did not ask Germany for permission to fly over its land. There is no dispute with Germany over this after all.

• Is all the paranoia from the cold war starting up again, did it ever go away, remember how obsessive the yanks were with building all their nuke shelters and hating on anything they perceived as communist and therefore anti-USA. :rolleyes:

Ironic that it is actually the yanks who have used nukes to kill thousands and not Russia. ;)

• Is all the paranoia from the cold war starting up again, did it ever go away, remember how obsessive the yanks were with building all their nuke shelters and hating on anything they perceived as communist and therefore anti-USA. :rolleyes:

Ironic that it is actually the yanks who have used nukes to kill thousands and not Russia. ;)

That’s true, Ron, but of course it’s one thing using nukes when you are the only ones who have these weapons - it’s quite another when your enemies have them too! That’s why the possession of nukes by both sides is the ultimate deterrent to their use.

• That’s true, Ron, but of course it’s one thing using nukes when you are the only ones who have these weapons - it’s quite another when your enemies have them too! That’s why the possession of nukes by both sides is the ultimate deterrent to their use.

Yes but during the height of the cold war both Russia and the US had enough nukes between then to destroy the world several times over, and extremely itchy trigger fingers hovering over the button to set them off.

• hold on a minute. I have just looked at the map you posted. How the fk is this anything to do with the eu?

How about the fact they are in the EU and we have the whole Brexit bitterness between us. It's irrelevant that another EU country has allowed us to use their airspace. TBH the fact they may not want to get involved is a more reasonable argument but even so it shows where their loyalty stands and it gives even more creditability for why it was best we broke our ties with the EU as an organisation. Maybe we should concentrate on supporting Poland and Denmark when it comes to trade as they seem to be more friendly. We have a lot of Polish living in this country now so there could be a reasonable level of symbiosis there.

• Never trust Germany.. They want to rule Europe for their own economic advantage. They caused two world wars and murdered millions of innocent civilians in their death camps. They are definitely not trusted.

Germany will never help any other country, Ukraine or anybody else.

They have never forgiven the Allies for putting a stop to their evil plans.

• Yes but during the height of the cold war both Russia and the US had enough nukes between then to destroy the world several times over, and extremely itchy trigger fingers hovering over the button to set them off.

And yet they never did….

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!