Russian invasion of Ukraine

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Voted no, because I don’t want to be nuked by a deranged Putin. What I want is for an elite SAS squad to go to Moscow and take Putin out.

But either way, that is direct combat against the Russians. But if your method were doable, then yes, I would prefer that too.

We declared War on Nazi Germany because they attacked Poland, you know or should know the rest, within weeks and months, South Africans, Aussies, Kiwi's ,Canadians, Indians , Irish from the North and the South, West Indians , Scandinavia, eventually the Americans even the Russians joined in as they were under attack.

If they had not you would be typing in German

Which is why I believe we need to act against Putin. He won't stop with Ukraine, he himself has said that. He has, in his own twisted way, been brutally honest about his intentions and he will attack the Baltics at some point.

That’s too short-sighted to ba a practical solution. You can bury your head in the sand for as long as you like, until you are blown out of it.

Agre. Exactly what happened to the people of ancient Carthage when the Romans "came in peace". and countless other examples over the centuries.

• This planet is a dangerous place and you can’t let the bullies win.

However, Blair and Iraq is different - that war was not necessary for us to fight.

Agree. It's strange how many people always quote Iraq as a reason not to get involved in future conflicts. There were no WMDs in Iraq and Blair knew that and Saddam was not within 45 mins of attacking us, that was total lies, but Putin is a lot closer and it's a whole different story.

• I don't know if anyone has said it already, but I think Putin is a bady!

I've said it once or twice Bibbles. But the thing is, he's always been a bady. Not long after he came to power, he destoyed Chechnya, part of his own country. That should have been warning enough about what he was/is capable of.

I voted NO for two reasons. --

1 -- There are other countries physically much closer to Ukraine with excellent air power who could fly constant missions over Ukraine and enforce a NO FLY zone and return home to their own airbases at the end of their deployment.

2 -- We need to be seen as fair minded and don't want to play the "sudden death" game too soon in this conflict. Keeping our options open should there be a chance of peace.

I do agree that we should help the Ukraine military by selling them arms and ammunition.

Realistically Mike, to patrol a country as vast as Ukraine and potetially take on hundreds of Russian aircraft, there is only one country, the Americans, who could do that. We should assist, but nothing will happen unless the Americans decide to confront the Russians. What we lack in numbers, we make up for in tech. Our aircraft, including the new F35s, are far more advanced than anything the Russians have.

On your second point, I don't understand why we should be fair minded. Why? I agree about keeping options open and hopefully the Ukrainans can hold out until Putin runs out of money. But if he doesn't and he levels Kiev, do we just sit back and still watch?

• I don't believe the propaganda being spread by the media or our politicians, other country's will stay our friends as long as we trade with them its all about the money its that simple, we are not the worlds police so don't need to fight everyone else's war for them. Just protect out own country when it is threatened that's all.

The sand it is, then….. :rolleyes:

• Agree. It's strange how many people always quote Iraq as a reason not to get involved in future conflicts. There were no WMDs in Iraq and Blair knew that and Saddam was not within 45 mins of attacking us, that was total lies, but Putin is a lot closer and it's a whole different story.

Putin has been gearing up and planning this for a long time IMO he yearns for the old days of the USSR, he wants total control of Eastern Europe again

• I agree about keeping options open and hopefully the Ukrainans can hold out until Putin runs out of money. But if he doesn't and he levels Kiev, do we just sit back and still watch?

We are a very small country with limited military capability in global terms,. So the prudent approach is to strategically keep our military involvement in reserve until there is a clear and unambiguous threat to invade or attack the UK.

The EU Countries with their combined Military hardware and Manpower are perfectly capable of stopping Putin's forces advancing westwards throughout Europe if Ukraine is conquered.

The UK and the US are not the only people capable of fighting Russia. It's time the EU countries stood up for themselves and stopped hiding behind America and the UK..

The Voice of Reason

• Well if France hadn't just surrendered and let the Germans walk all over them, probably too busy swigging le vin and necking down cheese and garlic to notice. :D

In WW1 France lost 1,325 men on the front line battlefields in WW2 212,000 that does not included Colonial Troops , personally I don't find that amusing

• We are a very small country with limited military capability in global terms,. So the prudent approach is to strategically keep our military involvement in reserve until there is a clear and unambiguous threat to invade or attack the UK.

The EU Countries with their combined Military hardware and Manpower are perfectly capable of stopping Putin's forces advancing westwards throughout Europe if Ukraine is conquered.

The UK and the US are not the only people capable of fighting Russia. It's time the EU countries stood up for themselves and stopped hiding behind America and the UK..

I agree so far as I am aware there is no intention of the UK getting actually involved in the fighting in Ukraine, we may have to if Nato is drawn into this war of Putin making by attacking an EU country which is protected by Nato,

Sweden's airspace was entered briefly by four Russian Fighter Planes which the Swedes responded to, Sweden has now committed to sending arms to the Ukrainians, now both Sweden and Finland are now considering joining Nato

• I disagree the attack was not directly on the UK, my opinion is our armed forces should be defending the UK from direct attack nothing more nothing less, as for aiding other countries we should not be selling them arms which could then be turned on us if they so decide, we maybe provide humanitarian aid if no one else will and that goes for any country, but that doesn't extend to letting them infest our country.

This is pretty much my feeling on it all but at the end of the day selling arms in one of our biggest, if not the biggest industry we have and if that means creating war to sell arms then that is what we will do. It's funny how everything always boils down to money. We get what we deserve at the end of the day.

As far as nukes go it makes no difference to us as we would not know a thing if full weapons grade NBC weapons where to be fired. Now we are here now we are not. We wont know either way so it's not something to be concerned about as we will no longer be here to worry about it as if we where suddenly hit my a large meteorite that exploded and killed everything on the planet. Finally there will be peace on Earth. It would be like being born again. How many of us where worried about being born only death is the other end of the spectrum so a pointless waste of energy even thinking about it.

• In WW1 France lost 1,325 men on the front line battlefields in WW2 212,000 that does not included Colonial Troops , personally I don't find that amusing

Yes Fred, France lost that amount, but they were poor cannon fodder ( the humble foot soldier) . Those who made the decisions took themselves out of danger with their Cowardly General De Gaulle deserting France and hiding in the UK, then risking British lives to smuggle Mrs De Gaulle out of France. ...Also many city Mayors and dignitaries actively collaborated with the German military against their own people, even to rounding up people of the Jewish faith and others, and sending them to Germany's death camps. That is not in the least amusing and France will never live down the cowardice shown by the French elite.

The Voice of Reason

• Yes Fred, France lost that amount, but they were poor cannon fodder ( the humble foot soldier) . Those who made the decisions took themselves out of danger with their Cowardly General De Gaulle deserting France and hiding in the UK, then risking British lives to smuggle Mrs De Gaulle out of France. ...Also many city Mayors and dignitaries actively collaborated with the German military against their own people, even to rounding up people of the Jewish faith and others, and sending them to Germany's death camps. That is not in the least amusing and France will never live down the cowardice shown by the French elite.

I agree 100% IN WW2 indeed the Vichy French collaborated with the SS to round up Jews for the camps, the Communist Resistance informed on none Communist Resistance fights many of them tortured before being executed, De Gaulle odious man demanded to lead the Free French to march into Paris once it has been liberated by the Allies etc

• Now things are getting real dangerous. Not only have we had a close call with a Nuclear reactor but some American is calling for someone in Russia to assassinate Putin. This is going out on the media so what is Putin going to do when hears that.

• I saw that live last night, he's the Beeb story on this:

Europe's largest nuclear plant shelled in Ukraine
    Security camera footage from the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant appears to show a fire at the facility.
    www.bbc.co.uk

What I understood from watching this last night, is the Ukranians withdrew their troops, because they needed to send firemen into the plant and the Russians were targetting them too, so its only when the Russians controled the plant, did they stop attacking it.

If anyone on here and there are some...thinks that this war doesn't affect us, think again. If those reactors exploded, we'd all be breathing in radioactive air.

Putin needs to be stoppped.

• If those reactors exploded, we'd all be breathing in radioactive air.

And apparently those specific reactors are some of the biggest in Europe and would have been a bigger disaster than what Chernobyl was. This is the true danger of this war and there's still plenty of contaminated land around Chernobyl that does not need disturbing from ground explosions. Funny how it's the commercial nuclear power that is the bigger threat than nuclear weapons which are highly unlikely to be fired. This is precisely why nuclear power stations are not the way to go for future energy IMO. Then again if every country had them would they act as a deterrent against warfare. Think about it!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!