Russian invasion of Ukraine

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • ivy,

No not humiliated but the drained on finances and the increase of amputees is hard for any government to reconcile.

Funding in the military needed to be way more than the 2% of gdp required by nato. Any troops fighting an enemy for their country imho is entitled to the best equipment etc that their country can provide.

Any casualties, especially those with life changing injuries should be taken care of at a level akin to that of a retiring warrant officer (sergeant major).

Supporting Ukrain does not Guarantee that they will win, but it certainly enables them the ability to carry on. Without the support of the west Ukraine would once again be a satellite state of Russia.

Echo makes a point about Ukraines history, but if I'm honest I don't see how this changes the facts surrounding its invasion. The UK, Spain, France, Germany and America all have our own war mongering histories.

Argentina has just elected a far right president, if we condone Russias invasion because we believe its wild (nothing to do with them) allegations of nazis, then surely someone should invade Argentina in order to prevent the scourge of nazism taking hold again. We both know that's not gonna happen.

Northern Ireland, was that a military failure? I think not. We were there to support the local police and political system. The good Friday agreement came about because of a nation becoming tired of the shite going on, as well as Sinn Fein realising real change would only come via the ballot box and not a box of bullets and bombs. In other words common sense kicked in.

Iraq and Afghanistan were in support of the Americans, its their loss, we were never ever going it alone there, our military is no longer large enough. Now that is something I feel strongly is wrong. Modern warfare produces ww1 levels of casualties without the trench stupidity, our force numbers need to reflect an ability to reinforce quickly, long before territorial army would be mobilised, but that capability is greatly reduced if not gone. As Russia has found out the hard way, a poor decision can cost a whole regiment in a very short time.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• Could be akin to the "Israel bombed the hospital" claim. When in fact it was Hamas who blew up their hospital.

I do not trust the media.

It wasn’t Hamas that blew up the hospital, Isreal say it was a rocket fired from somewhere else in Gaza that malfunctioned

I’m inclined to believe them on this but it certainly doesn’t mean that Israel is telling the truth all the time

There are some very hard line members in the current Israeli cabinet who have no interest in peace or a 2 state solution

• This thing about a two state solution, WHO WANTS IT?

It appears neither Hamas (causing this conflict) and Israel (involved in this conflict ) want it,that leaves the PLA which I understand are as popular as genital warts.

A referendum at this moment in time is a definite no no, what land is this state taking,Israel won't give up any, neither will Jordan or Egypt so can someone please explain where this fictitious place of Palestine will spring from.

Beyond that having the west bank and Gaza is in itself an issue. Why should Israel allow free movement through its lands to connect the two. Each way this seems ill thought through and unenforceable.

Do unto others as they would do unto you, then plead temporary insanitary 😂. :saint:

• A bad week for Russia.

That may turn out to be a major bit of luck for Ukraine.

The Russian beach defences in Crimea have been destroyed. The defences protected the Crimean Bridge damaged. The Hand of God has acted against Russia here just at the right time for Ukraine.

• Still,who would want to lay down their life in any conflict for,say,the bounder Bojo,or come back with PTSD and with no legs to be housed in barracks that even the migrants refuse to live in

They would be lucky to get that. Unless they have the help of a charity and don't come from a marital break-up the chances are they will end up homeless on the streets. That's how badly our vets get treated :(

• It wasn’t Hamas that blew up the hospital, Isreal say it was a rocket fired from somewhere else in Gaza that malfunctioned

I’m inclined to believe them on this but it certainly doesn’t mean that Israel is telling the truth all the time

There are some very hard line members in the current Israeli cabinet who have no interest in peace or a 2 state solution

Hamas carried out an act of war upon Israel. Therefore it is 100% the fault of Hamas that a hospital was hit. Everything that followed from their attack on Israel is 100% the fault of Hamas.

I Would Rather Be Hated For Telling The Truth Than Revered For Speaking A Lie.

• I have always had the US and GB brothers in arms in most things evil,and then in cock-ups. Well,those that run government

Still,more recently and on some thinking,I can see how I could have it all wrong. Never thought much of our MI6 until I thought we might have done well in bringing down Germany and Russia in one hit. Its said we brought down Nord Stream(s)by blowing em sky high. If so - and I believe it so - Germany got it full in its hows-your-fathers. Yeow! Maybe MI6 is gonna make Brexit work(and which I voted for). KO-ing Germany and its henchmen and women torpedoes Europe and which many back here(and even over there)dislike.

Yes,we have to pay more for all things related oil - and most things are -and the US makes a killing,but we might scrabble around to get some crumbs from the top Top Table.

I had GB down for playing draughts when t'other side preferred chess. Maybe our own MI6 is up to playing GO standards. I rated em lower,but remain flexible in my thinking

When I think of how high and mighty Germany and Russia wooda bin joined together all things economically and bizness like. Shish. One super powerhouse...and that on steroids. Maybe there is something upstairs in that lounge James Bond department of the FO. Russias size and mineral wealth,coupled with the engineering and know how and work ethic of those crazy square headed huns....little GB wooda bin finished. Right now I might be turning tables and thinking our interference and interventions in all things none-of-out bizness is good bizness. Its all back to front these days,as with so many things.

My motto remains: Where there's muck there's money

• This thing about a two state solution, WHO WANTS IT?

It appears neither Hamas (causing this conflict) and Israel (involved in this conflict ) want it,that leaves the PLA which I understand are as popular as genital warts.

A referendum at this moment in time is a definite no no, what land is this state taking,Israel won't give up any, neither will Jordan or Egypt so can someone please explain where this fictitious place of Palestine will spring from.

Beyond that having the west bank and Gaza is in itself an issue. Why should Israel allow free movement through its lands to connect the two. Each way this seems ill thought through and unenforceable.

I’m beginning to see Isreal’s invasion of Gaza more in terms of a land grab than self defence

Rather than a good & bad side in this conflict I would characterise Isreal as bad & Hamas as even worse

• I’m beginning to see Isreal’s invasion of Gaza more in terms of a land grab than self defence

Rather than a good & bad side in this conflict I would characterise Isreal as bad & Hamas as even worse

If I was a leader of a Military unit or terrorist group I would know for certain the likely repercussions if I chose to launch 5,000 rockets into another country, especially a country that is excellent and strong in its ability to retaliate.

I would know 100% that country will respond to the most massive attacks on me and my land and people. That is so obvious even a child will know this.

You can bet your life that the British Government sent a message to the IRA, following the missile that hit Thatcher and her Cabinet in Brighton, telling them of severe, hard-core, undercover SAS responses. i/e Pick off the leaders.

I have no sympathy for a terrorist group that commits an act of war. Especially when they hide among the people.

The alternative is to do nothing.

Are we really saying the response to 5,000 rockets is to meet and have a chat??

• What the Isreali offensive started out as what it has become are not necessarily the same thing

You have to make the enemy think hard before they decide to do it again. The attackers do not have impunity.

• You have to make the enemy think hard before they decide to do it again. The attackers do not have impunity.

Isreal has attacked Gaza on multiple occasions but Hamas & Hezbollah he firing back

I don’t know what the answer is but it won’t ultimately be a military one

• What the Isreali offensive started out as what it has become are not necessarily the same thing

I really don’t know what you expect Israel to do! You cannot negotiate sensibly with these people. They are violent, sadistic rapists and cowards to boot, using their own people for protection.

• I really don’t know what you expect Israel to do! You cannot negotiate sensibly with these people. They are violent, sadistic rapists and cowards to boot, using their own people for protection.

Exactly , you would have more chance of stoking a Rabid Dog than trying to appeal to Hamas and others of their ilk they have been taught to hate and kill since childhood by their religions leaders

• Isreal has attacked Gaza on multiple occasions but Hamas & Hezbollah he firing back

I don’t know what the answer is but it won’t ultimately be a military one

I agree with you to some extent. Often a major incident kickstarts the road to peace talks.

• THREADS ARE BECOMING MIXED UP, THIS IS UKRAINE NOT ISRAEL THREAD.

It is not irrational to equate the two theatres of war. The common link is - countries being attacked and responding to that attack. However, I respect what you say.

• Yesterday sometime I heard some report pundit questioning another about why the cost of food was going up. It might have included the cost of strawberries! Frming Today? R4? Cant quite recall. Anyways,both accepted that the rising cost of food produce was linked in many parts to the war in Ukraine,but in other ways that the Russians had become more affluent since the conflict: they were buying more stuff,and stuff we had took as our own. Then it went on to say there were now a lot more countries doing as well,if not better than ourselves thesedays. Read,we are going down,others are doing better.

I didnt think loads about it,but it linked in to other stuff I watch or have some knowledge of. I often keep in contct with people travelling about the world,now usually youngish English travellers. In these travels not by propoganda but by reports and talking to local natives,a lotta Asia has now a growing Russian population all holidaying all abouts. Go back 30,40 years,it was never so. Step out of the invisible cell that HMG and MSM media have us in over here,and you can see we are losing yet another war. I dunno why we do it to ourselves. With every roll of the dice we seem to take the wrong decisions. At best I guess we are only following the Americans!. I'd never follow out top folke to the toilet. And thats a double entendre I didnt think I was that clever to make!

• I didnt think loads about it,but it linked in to other stuff I watch or have some knowledge of. I often keep in contct with people travelling about the world,now usually youngish English travellers. In these travels not by propoganda but by reports and talking to local natives,a lotta Asia has now a growing Russian population all holidaying all abouts. Go back 30,40 years,it was never so. Step out of the invisible cell that HMG and MSM media have us in over here,and you can see we are losing yet another war. I dunno why we do it to ourselves. With every roll of the dice we seem to take the wrong decisions. At best I guess we are only following the Americans!. I'd never follow out top folke to the toilet. And thats a double entendre I didnt think I was that clever to make!

There no doubt there are plenty of affluent Russians you meet many of them in Dubai but I don’t really understand your point

Are you saying we shouldn’t have supported Ukraine?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!