Prince Philip Dies Aged 99

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • I didn't watch any of it but a picture in the on-line version of the Sun showed the Queen all on her own during part of the ceremony. Must have been very lonely for her. :(

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Well I watched it but mainly because I like the show and the music. I have to admit us Brits do know how to put on a good ceremonial event, You can't beat an event like this to bring the people together and feel proud to be British. That is one thing we do get right and something else we are best in the world at. I would like to see another country armed forces time things so accurately and in step with each other. The spin to turn and face the side of the coffin was quite astonishing but I bet they have been practising all week.

I wonder how many Migrants and others who are new to this country actually bothered to watch it and take onboard some British tradition. I loved the lone Scotts Piper in the church with his timed steps so the pipes faded into the distance as he walked off. I also liked seeing the end Royal Marine bugler turn his head to side to get the note to reverberate around the room while playing the Last Post. My uncle was a Royal Marine bandsman. And of course the Royal Navy pipers was a nice touch on the steps 'officer on deck' I have a Bosuns Pipe and can play that and the 'still'. The cannon fire was awesome with the church bell. Reminded me of Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture Cincinnati Pops.

Yeh...it was a jolly good show. The Queen is looking very old and frail though. When she got out the car and walked into the church she was like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

• The TV was on and we caught bits of it here and there but didn't go out of our way to take it all in.

Due ceremony has been solemnly observed and the Royal Family have publicly paid their respects. It's done now.

And like after all funerals, we then get on with living.

Old Boy said: "Britain will have a trade deal with USA by the end of this year".

• It was as boring as hell - I’d rather be watching Netflix!

Or even better, sitting out in the sunshine with a glass of wine!

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the Duke, but like him, I thought all the fuss was stuff and nonsense.

As he would say - “Just get on with it!”

Unfortunately, we all have to leave this world eventually - to who knows what, or nothing. But I do think he was essentially a good (albeit cheeky) man, and we will all miss him. At least he lasted until he was 99 - that’s more than most of us will achieve.

And what he achieved while on this Earth, he should certainly be proud. RIP, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Well I watched it but mainly because I like the show and the music. I have to admit us Brits do know how to put on a good ceremonial event, You can't beat an event like this to bring the people together and feel proud to be British. That is one thing we do get right and something else we are best in the world at. I would like to see another country armed forces time things so accurately and in step with each other. The spin to turn and face the side of the coffin was quite astonishing but I bet they have been practising all week.

I wonder how many Migrants and others who are new to this country actually bothered to watch it and take onboard some British tradition. I loved the lone Scotts Piper in the church with his timed steps so the pipes faded into the distance as he walked off. I also liked seeing the end Royal Marine bugler turn his head to side to get the note to reverberate around the room while playing the Last Post. My uncle was a Royal Marine bandsman. And of course the Royal Navy pipers was a nice touch on the steps 'officer on deck' I have a Bosuns Pipe and can play that and the 'still'. The cannon fire was awesome with the church bell. Reminded me of Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture Cincinnati Pops.

Yeh...it was a jolly good show. The Queen is looking very old and frail though. When she got out the car and walked into the church she was like the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

I was thinking about the difference between this and the scenes at some funerals overseas hundreds of enraged men rampaging through the streets the coffin tossed on a sea of angry mourners . No women allowed .

We do it right .

• I was thinking about the difference between this and the scenes at some funerals overseas hundreds of enraged men rampaging through the streets the coffin tossed on a sea of angry mourners . No women allowed .

We do it right .

I think the level of solemnity was right. A funeral isn't supposed to be entertainment. Which brings me to my next comment............

It was as boring as hell - I’d rather be watching Netflix!

What would you suggest in order to make it more interesting...? Party hats...?

And all that drab, black clothing. Perhaps Netflix would have insisted on mourners wearing Hawaiian shirts and the Royal Marines band playing a selection of Black Lace's Greatest Hits. Yeah, some good old Agadoo instead of that bloody depressing Nimrod. The band could have followed Agadoo with the Birdie Dance and the congregation could have followed the land rover in a conga just to really brighten things up.

Funerals aren't meant to entertain, OB.

Old Boy said: "Britain will have a trade deal with USA by the end of this year".

• I agree, Jenny. This was a personal and private affair, which had to be televised to please the masses.

It was not awfully significant to me, although I liked the guy very much. However, he was a human being, 99 years old, and many more humans die rather younger than him. Of course it was sad, but a lot of sad things happen every day. Whilst that is regrettable, and I cannot do anything about that, I’m not going to wallow in every sad thing that happens on this Earth.

No disrespect to the Duke intended. But this ceremony was for his family, and all those cameras were an intrusion.

Incidentally, I hope my loved ones go hedonistic with a party at ours when I kick the dust.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• If it's televised it's entertainment. This is no ordinary funeral and all the kings horses and all the kings men is a show, it's a show of Britishness like Boris and his flags or China and their missiles on trucks parading down the street. I have to admit I enjoy a good funeral especially the piss up afterwards LOL It's no different from putting on a show for the Queens birthday. We could call it a show of strength and showing other countries. It's also used as a recruitment campaign to get folk into the armed forces. It looks cool with them all smart in their No 1's and working together. Throw a few guns into the mix and there's a chance of young children thinking they want to be one when older. Like buying a toy soldier to play with.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!