ITV Be+1 closure and knock-on effects.

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Back on subject. Apparently the streams and labels have been removed from Satellite for the various ITV closures, so if ITVBe+1 continues to keep going on VM they are clearly not getting it from Satellite.

I wonder how many channels get direct from the broadcaster and how many from Satellite these days. :/

• Back on subject. Apparently the streams and labels have been removed from Satellite for the various ITV closures, so if ITVBe+1 continues to keep going on VM they are clearly not getting it from Satellite.

I wonder how many channels get direct from the broadcaster and how many from Satellite these days. :/

I think it must be line fed then, as ITVBe HD will be. I can't see them sourcing it from DTT.

• I didn't know that :D

Maybe VM will create a version that doesn't exist? They did it for LoveNature when they downscaled it to create a SD version for lower tiers. Maybe they are recording ITVBe, adding a +1 to the screen, then delaying it an hour before retransmission.

Unlikely, of course, but a possibility. You are probably correct, it's probably the part of line feed they get for ITVBe HD. I keep forgetting that's not on satellite so they need it by other means.

• Maybe VM will create a version that doesn't exist? They did it for LoveNature when they downscaled it to create a SD version for lower tiers. Maybe they are recording ITVBe, adding a +1 to the screen, then delaying it an hour before retransmission.

Unlikely, of course, but a possibility. You are probably correct, it's probably the part of line feed they get for ITVBe HD. I keep forgetting that's not on satellite so they need it by other means.

I wondered that too, but I don't know enough about the legal implications. I wonder if ITV will add ITVBe +1 back to satellite when they have enough capacity again, or if it wasn't paying it's way? If they've given up on it I wonder what will happen to the part time DTT feed?

VM usually get all of their HD channels via lines, whether they are on satellite or not.

• I wondered that too, but I don't know enough about the legal implications. I wonder if ITV will add ITVBe +1 back to satellite when they have enough capacity again, or if it wasn't paying it's way? If they've given up on it I wonder what will happen to the part time DTT feed?

VM usually get all of their HD channels via lines, whether they ate on satellite or not.

It's been written elsewhere that one of the major goals is for ITV to be able to use one less transponder at the end of this, to save money. It's likely they worked out that in order to provide Border and Channel Islands with an HD version (which they haven't yet) AND reduce the number of transponders, they'd need to cull a certain number of SD streams. UTV+1 and ITVBe+1 seemed (at least the way it was written, and the timing) to be fairly late additions to the cull, so maybe they looked at how the balancing of loads was and decided they needed an extra two removed to achieve their ultimate goal?

The DTT version of ITVBe+1 coincides with Teleshopping I think (as does ITV4+1) so I doubt anyone would notice. It's not unusual for Freeview placeholder channels, TCC, Blaze+1 and Yesterday+1 are the same as I recall.

The new Freeview EPG rules have come into effect now, as far as I know, so the LCNs could be monetised if they aren't used for IP Fallback streams. ITV's placeholder LCNs are much more attractive than those other ones positionally.

Additional: they were waiting for the Rate Card for LCN Swaps/Changes/Trading to be published. Now this has happened things can start to happen.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/cor…-management/lcn-rate-card

• I wonder how much it costs Sky to change the names of their movie channel all the time.

• I wonder how much it costs Sky to change the names of their movie channel all the time.

Just because Freeview and Freesat charge for admin like that doesn't mean others do. Thats how they, as Free services, cover their operations costs after all. A Pay TV service might be different. I'm not sure though, just thinking out loud. :)

It's possible (probable, in my opinion) that part of Sky and VM's carriage agreement terms means their Premium Pay channels can change branding as often as Sky want and it's included in the already paid costs.

• Just because Freeview and Freesat charge for admin like that doesn't mean others do. Thats how they, as Free services, cover their operations costs after all. A Pay TV service might be different. I'm not sure though, just thinking out loud. :)

It's possible (probable, in my opinion) that part of Sky and VM's carriage agreement terms means their Premium Pay channels can change branding as often as Sky want and it's included in the already paid costs.

I think I read in the Sky EPG tariff that there is a charge. Freesat & Freeview will probably do the same

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!