When The Queen Dies

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Oh no its not. Yes, under that useless May we had a wobble, but things are back to "normal" now.

I disagree. Things are anything but "Normal".

"Normal" is when you have a functioning democracy that isn't riddled with corruption and cronyism, led by a lying, narcissistic sociopathic wannabe dictator who purges his party of any dissent before revealing his agenda to take the country towards an extremist right-wing state.

What Britain does NOT have at this time is a "functioning" democracy.

• When I said normal, note it was in speech marks. I meant normal as in with all the current corruption, but anyway lets leave all that stuff for the other thread.

I can hardly disagree that Boris is a narcissist though, because he is plain and simple.

Thanks for clearing that up..... but you know it's dangling too much bait for me to miss. Even in speech marks. ^^^^

• Charles is next in line so if anything happens to the Queen it will be him and so what if itt is, I can't see any issue with it being him he will just be another king don't see why any should have a problem with him. 🙄

• Nothing to do with the queen, It's about whether a parent is willing to make a sacrifice for their child. And in this case it wouldn't only be for Williams benefit but for the reputation of the Royal Family and for the people. The majority of the people would stand by William but not Charles especially after Diana. If I was William I would put a hit out on Charles and get rid of him but William wont do that and that's why he will make such a good King whereas Charles will not.

Our only hope is that Prince Philip wrote something into his will authorising the heavy mob to bump Charles off before the Queen falls off her throne.

The same way that.....oh, sorry. Must’ve been dreaming! 8|

• The trouble is, Charles is just not popular. It will be a good time for the republicans amongst us to carry on with their campaign.

It's not a matter of popularity. It's about regnal law.... Parliamentary Law (the 1701 Act of Succession)........ the unwritten constitution..... precedent..... hereditary entitlement..... Primogeniture.....and probably a load of other statutes that even I've never heard of.

Charles is first in line to the throne because he is the Queen's eldest son. End of.

The Queen does not have the power to choose her successor. End of.

He is the Invested Prince of Wales. End of.

And then it might be worthwhile also pointing out that actually, William doesn't want to be King yet. He's shown no inclination whatsoever to usurp his father's crown.

I don't know where people get these absurd ideas that some sort of opinion poll in the Sun, or rumours circulating on Facebook that Her Maj thinks it would be popular with Wetherspoons customers if she "waived the rules" (groooaaaaaaan).

But hey........... If you really need the entertainment of indulging in daft myths about the Royal Family, here's a list of ten or so of the more ludicrous ones.

10 Daft Myths About The Royal Family

Enjoy.

• At last, we agree on something :)

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• The trouble is, Charles is just not popular. It will be a good time for the republicans amongst us to carry on with their campaign.

I just don't get why Charles is considered les popular than the other royals but I suppose if we are told by the media he is then he must be, its not like we can make our own minds up and have to be spoon fed opinion from the media at every given opportunity, he's next in line so I'll except that.

As for being a Republic I can't see the alternative that offers being any better it certainly isn't for a lot of countries.

• I just don't get why Charles is considered les popular than the other royals but I suppose if we are told by the media he is then he must be, its not like we can make our own minds up and have to be spoon fed opinion from the media at every given opportunity, he's next in line so I'll except that.

Charles ... Diana....Camilla?

I won’t add to that other than to say that the circumstances of Diana’s death...let’s say, still suspicious in the minds of many.

• No, it’s about the popular acceptance of the monarchy. We all know what the law says!

• I think there is a lot of resentment over the Diana thing and then running off with another woman. There's that whole issue of him having his bit on the side while with Diana too which could have aided in her illness and death. Don't forget she was the peoples princess and very much loved as is William and Harry not so much Harry now but he was. Plus Charles is an old fart. Surly we have had enough of old farts running the country. We need some fresh blood with fresh new idea's. Allow the younger generation to move things in a direction they are happy with as it's them that have to live it.

What a breath of fresh air the Finnish PM is. We shouldn't have old farts in all positions of power throughout the world and things need to be more balanced. A younger King or Queen would be a nice balance against the old codgers in Parliament. Yeh it's Charles right as air to the throne but he can 'if he wished to do so' abdicate and retire to the sidelines with an advisory position. I guess it comes down to how much he cares for his son, the state of the Royal family's reputation and also the people.

• I agree I think that people feel that things should not have worked out so conveniently for Charles and the rest of the bunch re Diana .There she was tramping around minefields charming everyone even Mother Teresa , going out with unsuitable men ( I feel that she only went out with the Fayed chap because the RF could not stand the connection .)

As it turned out it seems it all worked out for a pair of adulterers. Of course plenty of people don’t hit it off with their spouse and divorce and try again but in this case it’s all seemed wrong. a very young girl innocent and young for her age . An older spoiled man with a mistress ready and waiting in the wings . The cards were stacked against her from the start and the British sense of fair play was aroused . It wasn’t fair that her life was so unhappy and short and despite the years that is what many people still think

• I just don't get why Charles is considered les popular than the other royals but I suppose if we are told by the media he is then he must be, its not like we can make our own minds up and have to be spoon fed opinion from the media at every given opportunity, he's next in line so I'll except that.

As for being a Republic I can't see the alternative that offers being any better it certainly isn't for a lot of countries.

The Cult of Diana lives on in Britain, Ron. Charles cheated on Diana with one woman. Diana cheated on Charles with a plethora of men. He's a cad and she's the people's princess. You figure it out.

Diana was like the early template for Boris Johnson. She could have screwed the entire Household Cavalry - and their horses - and her fans would think she was the image of virtue.

I wasn't even born when Charles married her and barely 13 when she died so at the time I never really understood (or cared) what all the fuss was about, but it seems to me the public wanted a fairytale and Charles didn't stick to the script.

He has been blamed for everything that spoiled The People's Fairytale and she, of course, is seen as having been whiter than white.

He's never been forgiven by the Diana cultists and never will be. This has spread into the wider public domain. His lack of public popularity probably stems from that peculiarly British form of vindictiveness that finds forgiveness utterly impossible for no other reason than some cherished image that we set our heart on became tarnished.

We lost our fairytale and it's all his fault. The bastard.

I don't think Charles is a bad man. I doubt he wanted to marry Diana in the first place. He did it because it was expected of him. I also think she knew that from the get-go but went along with it because she thought she could change the system to suit herself from the inside. And when it didn't go all her way, she gave Martin Bashire a call and asked him if he wanted a scoop.

Diana was pretty, vivacious and everybody's template of what the fairytale Princess should look like. Walt Disney himself couldn't have created a better image. Unfortunately, she was also devious, manipulative and spiteful and if she couldn't get what she wanted, she would bring the whole bloody thing down around her. And she tried her damndest to do that very thing.

Charles has paid the price for all that ever since, and still is. The cult of Diana still exists and it will hang over Charles' head until the day he dies, whether he's king or not.

• Charles ... Diana....Camilla?

I won’t add to that other than to say that the circumstances of Diana’s death...let’s say, still suspicious in the minds of many.

Sorry but I disagree it was just a tragic accident I don't buy into any of the idiotic conspiracy theories if any one was to blame it was the hounding paparazzi.

• Diana always had a sly look about her she was another one who knew how to act up to the media and appear the victim, she was playing everyone and a lot have been taken in by her but any who is not gullible can see through as they can with the drama queen Megan.

• No, it’s about the popular acceptance of the monarchy. We all know what the law says!

Well, the popular acceptance of the monarchy seems - at this time - to be one of........er..... acceptance. So I don't know where your supposition comes from that public opinion can somehow force Charles to abdicate at any time. Perhaps you've got referendum fever, having gotten away with one. But there won't be a referendum on this issue unless the Act of Succession is repealed and I don't think even a clown like Boris Johnson would contemplate that.

Charles will certainly become King.... it happens automatically the moment the Queen breathes her last (I don't know how many times I have to repeat that in order to crowbar it into the unreceptive skulls of some people). After that, the only things that can shift him off the throne are death or abdication. I don't think even the most bloody-minded monarch could do anything about death, but if he doesn't want to abdicate nothing in the world can make him.

And if any politician were to try, he'd very quickly find himself on a charge of treason. Images of late night boat rides through Traitors Gate spring to mind. I can think of one PM I'd love that to happen to. Nah... even he's not that stupid.

William will get his turn. He'll have to be patient, that's all. Just like his father.

• Sorry but I disagree it was just a tragic accident I don't buy into any of the idiotic conspiracy theories if any one was to blame it was the hounding paparazzi.

That may indeed be the case. What I keep thinking about is Diana’s increasingly provocative moves with her boyfriend. I recall saying to my wife, ‘She’d better watch it, or they will snuff her out’. About two weeks later, as I was knocking on doors for a completely unrelated reason, one chap answered the door and he had obviously been crying. I asked if he was ok, and he said ‘Haven’t you heard?’ - and then he told me about Diana’s death. I was shocked to my bones, and my very first thought was - ‘my God, they’ve killed her!’

Of course, I may have been completely wrong about my suspicion, but it has haunted me ever since. To be honest, this may have been simply a tragic accident. And it probably was.

And yet...

• Sorry but I disagree it was just a tragic accident I don't buy into any of the idiotic conspiracy theories if any one was to blame it was the hounding paparazzi.

The paparazzi was cleared completely it wasn’t their fault . They didn’t have to leave The Ritz at all they could have stayed there . A sad unnecessary accident.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!