When The Queen Dies

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Well, the popular acceptance of the monarchy seems - at this time - to be one of........er..... acceptance. So I don't know where your supposition comes from that public opinion can somehow force Charles to abdicate at any time. Perhaps you've got referendum fever, having gotten away with one. But there won't be a referendum on this issue unless the Act of Succession is repealed and I don't think even a clown like Boris Johnson would contemplate that.

Charles will certainly become King.... it happens automatically the moment the Queen breathes her last (I don't know how many times I have to repeat that in order to crowbar it into the unreceptive skulls of some people). After that, the only things that can shift him off the throne are death or abdication. I don't think even the most bloody-minded monarch could do anything about death, but if he doesn't want to abdicate nothing in the world can make him.

And if any politician were to try, he'd very quickly find himself on a charge of treason. Images of late night boat rides through Traitors Gate spring to mind. I can think of one PM I'd love that to happen to. Nah... even he's not that stupid.

William will get his turn. He'll have to be patient, that's all. Just like his father.

Well, quite, but you must not underestimate the vitriol that some of these anti-monarchists have towards the whole idea of the monarchy. And with Charles as King, they will find it easier to recruit more people to their cause.

I don’t think anyone seriously doubts that Charles will become King on the death of Her Maj. The worry a great many people will have is whether the public will embrace Charles. This is a serious problem, and if he’s not careful, he will do a lot of damage to the reputation of the monarchy.

I remain supportive of the monarchy because constitutionally, it works very well. However, it is a delicate balance, and it would not take a lot for the public to demand change, which would put pressure on the government to alter the constitution.

• Diana always had a sly look about her she was another one who knew how to act up to the media and appear the victim, she was playing everyone and a lot have been taken in by her but any who is not gullible can see through as they can with the drama queen Megan.

I don’t believe Diana was sly she was a young woman and mother whose husband didn’t love her and was carrying on with another woman . She had a right to be angry . Later she learned how to work the press but they liked her . She was young and made mistakes didn’t we all when we were young ? Meghan is not that young and she is very aware of what she is doing a totally different t kettle of fish .

• I don’t believe Diana was sly she was a young woman and mother whose husband didn’t love her and was carrying on with another woman . She had a right to be angry . Later she learned how to work the press but they liked her . She was young and made mistakes didn’t we all when we were young ? Meghan is not that young and she is very aware of what she is doing a totally different t kettle of fish .

No they are both manipulators and the press/media are the enablers.

• but went along with it because she thought she could change the system to suit herself from the inside.

You've got to be kidding me. She was no Meghan. She was a young innocent virgin that had been wrapped in cotton wool by the Spencer family until she met Charles. A thoroughbred British lady but your right about Charles most probably felt a need to find someone that met the criteria so to speak. She had all the right credentials 'and some' an English rose. How can I explain it in a way you could understand! She cared about the people, I think she felt more comfortable living a life of a regular person, a mum with kids, the family life. But she never strayed away from the press and complain about it but was shy at first, she still realised she had a royal duty.

She came out of her shell more when she got involved with land mines, AIDS patients and many other things. Anything to escape her husband really at that point I think. I suspect she felt trapped and I would not be surprised if Charles tried to groom her into something that did not come naturally to her. Possibly some similar creepy stuff to Andrew. She had a heart of gold and a caring side much like Stacey Dooley. That's why she was the peoples princess. Not many people back then would even go near an AIDS patient, let alone touch them with bare hands because of all the stigma and media spew. Yes the media where just as bad back then, and she done amazing work to reduce the use of land mines across the world. She was trapped and she had the kids to consider.

Do an Internet search for the flowers laid outside Buckingham Palace for Diana. They speak for themselves and piled up 5ft deep.

I was shocked to my bones, and my very first thought was - ‘my God, they’ve killed her!’

Me too and I also had similar thoughts about things getting a bit risky for her around that time. She had the people on side and was more popular than some of the higher ranking royals. She was treated like a queen by the people. This is why I thought it was getting risky. I don't think Charles had anything to do with her death but I wouldn't be surprised if the Duke had a quiet word with someone. She was becoming too popular and taking the limelight away from others including the queen.

• You've got to be kidding me. She was no Meghan. She was a young innocent virgin that had been wrapped in cotton wool by the Spencer family until she met Charles. A thoroughbred British lady but your right about Charles most probably felt a need to find someone that met the criteria so to speak. She had all the right credentials 'and some' an English rose. How can I explain it in a way you could understand! She cared about the people, I think she felt more comfortable living a life of a regular person, a mum with kids, the family life. But she never strayed away from the press and complain about it but was shy at first, she still realised she had a royal duty.

She came out of her shell more when she got involved with land mines, AIDS patients and many other things. Anything to escape her husband really at that point I think. I suspect she felt trapped and I would not be surprised if Charles tried to groom her into something that did not come naturally to her. Possibly some similar creepy stuff to Andrew. She had a heart of gold and a caring side much like Stacey Dooley. That's why she was the peoples princess. Not many people back then would even go near an AIDS patient, let alone touch them with bare hands because of all the stigma and media spew. Yes the media where just as bad back then, and she done amazing work to reduce the use of land mines across the world. She was trapped and she had the kids to consider.

Do an Internet search for the flowers laid outside Buckingham Palace for Diana. They speak for themselves and piled up 5ft deep.

Me too and I also had similar thoughts about things getting a bit risky for her around that time. She had the people on side and was more popular than some of the higher ranking royals. She was treated like a queen by the people. This is why I thought it was getting risky. I don't think Charles had anything to do with her death but I wouldn't be surprised if the Duke had a quiet word with someone. She was becoming too popular and taking the limelight away from others including the queen.

You have the advantage of having been around at that time whereas I was a rather disinterested child. My opinion is derived from (what is to me) history rather than first hand adult experience. However, I grew up in a family that had very little time for her and the interpretation my influences put on her was somewhat less rosy than yours.

It's well known in my family that on the day of her marriage, with everybody watching the TV, my mum said "That's trouble walking up the aisle." Mum always called her "Kipper Feet". She had no time for Diana at all.

I don't doubt at all that Diana was inexperienced in the ways of the higher echelons of the Royal Family to start with but I can't believe that she knew nothing about Camilla before marrying Charles. I just don't buy that at all. And if you accept that she must have known that there was this third party involvement, the idea that she was an innocent goes right out of the window.

Her involvement in "causes" was also somewhat self-serving. The Land Mines campaign had been going on for many years before Diana got involved with it. It was a cause that she would have been advised was soon come to fruition and she hopped on the bandwagon. I think it's notable that in 1997, soon after she took her walk across a former minefield in Angola (that had been long since cleared and was again extensively swept in preparation for her visit) the real woman behind the International Campaign To Ban Land Mines, Jody Williams, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Did Diana know that there was a Nobel Prize was hanging in the air..? Did she fancy a piece of that...? You can make your own mind up about that.

At the award, Diana wasn't mentioned.

Clearly, the Nobel Prize Committee weren't impressed by her publicity stunt.

International Campaign To Ban Land Mines - Wiki

Jody Williams Wiki - The One Who Did All The Work

The Ottawa Treaty, which was the outcome of the campaign has been entirely credited to her (Williams), not Diana. Diana just hopped on for the free ride. Sure, she gained some publicity for the cause, but it was going ahead anyway and although some positive headlines in British papers were welcomed, the serious players....... the ones truly committed to it...... had done the real work, not this "freeloader in it for her own gain".

Even in Wikipedia, her contribution to the campaign amounts to about half of one line: "A prominent supporter was Diana, Princess of Wales". And that's it.

And wasn't there an issue once over her arriving at a hospital and holding up an operation because she wanted to be photographed in the theatre when it took place..? The patient was already on the operating table but the operation was held up while they prepped her for her photo opportunity. When she eventually swanned into the theatre, she wasn't even wearing a mask.......... something any scrub nurse doing would get her thrown out by an angry surgeon...... but the photo shoot went ahead..!!

A self-serving woman. An opportunist. A manipulator. And if she had reason to be bitter and angry about her failed marriage, it has to be said that it takes two to tango and she certainly played the field. Nobody comes out of it with any credit.

• She certainly knew or learnt how to work the media, despite her claims of not wanting too much publicity and wanting to shy away from it. ;)

Good point Ron. For somebody who played the "Naive Innocent" card so effectively, she became a skilled media manipulator very quickly.

Diana was a stunningly beautiful woman. She had eyes to die for and a figure to kill for. And if she wowed men, she had the same effect on women.... in a feminine sense, that is. Let's not misunderstand anything here. It was quiet feminism. If she could walk into a man's world and have such an effect, then in our own little way, we all could. She had broken the Royal glass ceiling. She wasn't walking three paces behind her husband, she was striding out ahead of him.

But she went too far and wanted too much too quickly. The royal family wasn't ready for such a challenge and not just that, she wasn't prepared to accept her husband's infidelity in the same way that other Royal wives had done in the past. After all, Charles wasn't the first to play away. Sure, she was prepared to do her duty but she wasn't going to be just a brood mare.

In that regard, I would have had the utmost admiration for her. She was ballsy as well as beautiful. But it went to her head. It became "All about me." and she didn't know where to draw the line. She became pissed with power.

I don't believe she was murdered. That truly was an accident in my opinion. A convenient one for the royal family, but an accident nonetheless. And it's a shame. Nobody wants to see anybody lose their life so tragically and traumatically.

But she had risen to the level of cult status and it has endured. When Charles is crowned king, there will be an enormous elephant in Westminster Abbey. It will be there throughout his reign and no matter what he did, he doesn't deserve it. He would much rather have married Camilla but of course, he couldn't do that.

I think if the Royals had wanted to have anybody topped at any time, they would have done it to Peter Parker-Bowles. And nobody would have ever heard of Lady Diana Spencer.

• Diana certainly knew how to play the simpering victim like a pro, Somthing she has in common with Megan I would imagine Megan has seen the videos and pictures of her dead mother in law so knows what she was like and how to behave maybe that's how she attracted gingers attention by mimicking his mother. 🤣

• Diana certainly knew how to play the simpering victim like a pro

My late mother used to work as a welfare assistant at a special needs school. They had a visit by Diana and all the time the cameras were rolling she paid attention to the children but the moment the cameras stopped she ignored them. It really annoyed my mum.

Her public image was carefully crafted.

• My late mother used to work as a welfare assistant at a special needs school. They had a visit by Diana and all the time the cameras were rolling she paid attention to the children but the moment the cameras stopped she ignored them. It really annoyed my mum.

Her public image was carefully crafted.

Sounds about right one face for the media another for when they not around.

• Doesn't look like Andrew or Harry, formerly known as prince, figure in the future plans.

• I think that anyone interested should have their name put in a hat. The winner get's to go on a course and then decreed king

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• The Royals are seen to attend church every Sunday, so their religion is obviously important to them. Plus, the monarch is the Defender of the Faith and head of the Church of England. For this reason, I hope they do not give in to the current trend, but stick to the traditional ceremony. This is still Great Britain and is still regarded as a Christian country, so let us send out the message that is how we wish to be seen.

• Completely agree but the church of England isn't without fault and there are some very dark sides to it that go back to ancient rituals including the crowning of the monarchy. What will be interesting if this time around whether the media will get to film it all or will those dark rituals be hidden again. I think it includes the drinking the blood of something, maybe the blood of a deer, which is supposed to give the new monarch super powers.

• Nothing is completely pure! The task we all have is to extract the good, whether it is from our politics, religion, the companies we work for, etc. Do that in every sphere of your life and there’s the hope that we can improve things over the long term.

Seeing the bad in everything does nobody any good. Be aware of it and mitigate it by all means, but don’t dwell on it.

• Completely agree but the church of England isn't without fault and there are some very dark sides to it that go back to ancient rituals including the crowning of the monarchy. What will be interesting if this time around whether the media will get to film it all or will those dark rituals be hidden again. I think it includes the drinking the blood of something, maybe the blood of a deer, which is supposed to give the new monarch super powers.

People used to believe that the health of the monarch reflected the health of their country. Perhaps the blood of a stag was meant to imbibe him with its powers?

• Yeh it's weird stuff and there are cross ties between the Church of England and Free masonry that also ties into the Knights Templar which which is linked to the Church of England hence the red cross on Richard the Lionheart.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!