Raul Castro steps down

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Oooh! Thanks for this story, I didn't know.

It will be interesting to see of Cuba stays communist or whether it can become democratic and I agree it has much potential.

• If Cuba ditches Communism, the country could be quite wealthy. It has potential to be a great tourist destination.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It already is a tourist attraction. Mainly yanks going there but it's a wonderful country with wonderful people. Cigars, nice cars, good music. There is a lot of poverty and corruption there though. Take a good look as they may become democratic (whatever that means) and become what we once was while we head the other way.

• It is a very interesting country with lots of history and as you say lovely people and a the wonderful Caribbean climate .If Cuba is ever open to the world there will be a rush to grab land and development

• It already is a tourist attraction. Mainly yanks going there but it's a wonderful country with wonderful people. Cigars, nice cars, good music. There is a lot of poverty and corruption there though. Take a good look as they may become democratic (whatever that means) and become what we once was while we head the other way.

It is, but think how successful it could be. Many people don’t want to go for a holiday in a Communist country.

I only hope the poor people benefit from the increased wealth they would bring in.

• I visited Cuba some years ago when Fidel Castro was still alive . Great place not I think the typical communist country .

We stayed in a five star hotel which was at that time probably three start bu any other standards . The food was terrible too as so much food was exported ( to The USSR) but the ambiance was great , loved the old cars and the wonderful old buildings just begging to be restored .

The people seemed very cheerful they do have certain advantages education and health is free indeed Cuba has medical schools that train medics form all over the region .

• The people seemed very cheerful they do have certain advantages education and health is free indeed Cuba has medical schools that train medics form all over the region .

It’s called ‘putting a brave face on it’! ;)

• My cousin went there years ago and stayed. He never came back and has made life for himself out there teaching English in a school. I think you would be surprised how many people are happy to visit a communist country, China, Russia. FFS my sister went to Moscow on a school trip and that was years ago. And what about places like Cambodia. I think many people when they go on holiday they want something different. I would love to go to St Petersburg as they have amazing architecture and good classical music and opera. Many parts of Russia have history like the UK. I would even go to North Korea given the chance. They have a beautiful countryside and even holiday resorts for the Koreans. Of course if I was travelling that far I would like to make the most of it and go and visit South Korea too. Now that is one seriously advanced country that makes us look prehistoric by comparison when it comes to tech but it not all good. They have a massive problem with hidden cameras taking pervy pics and putting on social media over there. You even get them in public toilets and hotel rooms.

• Lots of people put a brave face on life all over the world . Cubans are a very educated people they are quick and many travel throughout the as region as teachers ..When I visited there I never even thought of it as a ‘communist country at all ! It’s a Caribbean country but unique more South American .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!