Six English football clubs to breakaway to form European Super League

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Official Post

Uefa, the Premier League and UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson have condemned 12 major European clubs, including the 'big six' from England, signing up to a breakaway European Super League.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham are part of the group.

La Liga's Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid and Serie A's AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus are involved.

Not seen much news this week, but unless you live on Planet Zog, this story cannot have escaped your notice.

From Boris to the various football governing bodies, everybody seems to be against this happening, but can it be stopped and should it be stopped?

Rupert Murdoch wanted to control football and make a load of money for himself in the process and so he was instrumental in setting up the Premier League almost thirty years ago. How is this new proposed set up any different?

• Not seen much news this week, but unless you live on Planet Zog, this story cannot have escaped your notice.

From Boris to the various football governing bodies, everybody seems to be against this happening, but can it be stopped and should it be stopped?

Rupert Murdoch wanted to control football and make a load of money for himself in the process and so he was instrumental in setting up the Premier League almost thirty years ago. How is this new proposed set up any different?

It's different in as much as it is, in effect, a franchise system. The fifteen founder clubs would be ringfenced into the competition making the issue of promotion and relegation a farce. The five clubs selected to come in every season "on merit" would be guaranteed to be relegated to make way for the next five "on merit" selections the following season.

Those five would be nothing more than makeweights to be served up as cannon fodder for the big clubs that can afford the best players. They would have no chance of genuinely competing. They are there for show only.

The Premier League is the old First Division by another name. Only, it's run by the Football Association rather than the Football League. The age-old system of promotion and relegation didn't change when the transfer happened.

The main issue that fans have is that this has not been decided by football authorities. It has not been endorsed by managers, coaches and players (as the Premier League was) and it has nothing to do with football as a sporting contest.

This has been dreamed up by the money men at the top of the major clubs. Glazer at Manchester United... Abramovich at Chelsea..... Levy at Tottenham...... Mansoor at Manchester City. And they're not doing it for the benefit of fans. It's entirely all about money. By by-passing the need to qualify for their so-called "Super League", they have ensured that the vast sums to be made from TV and Streaming rights, attendances, sponsorship and all the other revenue streams would go to them, every year. They would become richer than Croesus.

It's all about money.

For many fans, tradition and history is extremely important. Even though the Champions League is a complete misnomer (you don't have to be the champions of your home country to qualify), there is still a qualifying criteria. The teams that play in it are there on merit of league position. Not so if this absurdly named Super League goes ahead. Spurs, frankly, are crap and are currently 7th in the Premier League, but they would be in it next season. West Ham are currently in a Champions Qualifying place and, if they finished in that place they wouldn't get into the Super League. How is that fair...?

If this league goes ahead, it kills the aspiration of every lesser club to improve because there would be no reward for their efforts. At this time, the Champions League is the gold standard and if you achieve a top four place (in England), you qualify. In recent time, Manchester City (now a very rich club but not until recently), and Leicester City have made it. And they've acquitted themselves well. Leicester City in particular have punched well above their weight.

Manchester City have achieved so much they are now a "founder club", but Leicester.... currently in a Champions League place for next season..... would be left out. It's just not right.

Sport should not be ringfenced. It may work in America, but it's not in our tradition and even if some clubs have no hope at all of ever aspiring to the highest levels, they at least know they are not excluded. That counts for a lot.

Football is for the enjoyment, recreation, and participation of all, from the highest ranked player to Ron Manager's fabled "jumpers for goalposts" kids.

It doesn't belong to multi-billionaire businessmen. They have no right to try to hijack it in this way for their own profit.

• Won't bother me I have very little interest in football anyway.

I'm a netball girl myself, but I try to keep myself informed on issues of sport, and this has been a big news story in the last couple of days. It will mean quite a big deal to a lot of people.

• Official Post

It's different in as much as it is, in effect, a franchise system. The fifteen founder clubs would be ringfenced into the competition making the issue of promotion and relegation a farce. The five clubs selected to come in every season "on merit" would be guaranteed to be relegated to make way for the next five "on merit" selections the following season.

To be honest, I never got that far when I was reading the article about this! Thanks Jenny. If some clubs are always guaranteed a place, then there is no competition, which would mean no impetus for them to improve. I say let them get on with it and die a slow death.

Anyway,the BBC is saying Chelsea has just pulled out, so it looks like this won't happen now anyway.

Won't bother me I have very little interest in football anyway.

Me neither. But it seems to be on the news, so I thought I should mention it (as no one else has...).

• Manchester City have also withdrawn.

The wonderful thing about the reaction to this is that fans of all clubs are united in their condemnation of it. Football........ that most tribal of sports........ is united as one against this thing.

It's good to see.

There has been an outbreak of sport in England..!!!

• I feel the same so was hoping they would sell out but it looks like they will all back down from fan and government pressure. Maybe they can increase match ticket prices instead to make up for it. LOL

The last thing anybody wants to see is the clubs being punished as a result of this. The people who need to be punished in whatever way possible, is the owners who have surely been cooking this thing up for... I don't know how long, but it must have been over some time. They have been plotting away behind the backs of their own clubs, preparing the ground for a footballing coup d'etat, not just on an English scale, but on a European scale.

Those men have sought to profit massively from the destruction of the Champions League and in doing so, destroying the very basis of the game: Competition.

Whether you like football or not, surely you can see what a bad thing that is.

• The last thing anybody wants to see is the clubs being punished as a result of this

It's not a case of punishment but a case of how business works. At the end of the day it's a business not a sport and those investors are going to want to see a return one way or another. They could easily use COVID as the excuse for ticket prices and make the fans feel like they are doing it for the benefit and survival of the club. The majority of the fans would go along with that as they are loyal fans to support the business and prop it up. As long as the business remains on home turf so they can go and meet up with their mates, watch the match and get pissed up.

• Perhaps....depends on the backers are and talking of which, I seem to recall you have talked on a related subject (our favourite subject) before several times, so I don't think this idea is gone yet.

I quite agree. The backers have already said they are "going to have to have a rethink". I'm in no doubt at all that there is mileage in this yet.

And as we have also said (or at least, I have) on "our favourite subject", the money men will be facing a tenacious and determined opponent who will never, ever, give up and is prepared to play the long game.

In this case, football fans.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!