The Scottish parliamentary elections on May 6th

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Well, I see your point. But who speaks for the less well off Scots who stand to lose out if the UK is not there to bail them out? The Scots Nats have no credible economic plan and that is my only beef with this.

I cannot stand by and see all those disadvantaged people finding themselves in a position where public services are diminished and employment made more difficult for no sensible reason. I find myself compelled to draw attention to this.

I don’t believe that England will lose out as a result of independence for Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, so I am ambivalent on this to a certain extent. We are, after all, net contributors to all those nations. But I don’t like to think of disadvantaged people being misled and losing out in this way, and I thought you’d feel the same, Jenny.

Independence does not make economic sense for any of those nations and such a course can only need for disadvantage to the most vulnerable.

• Well, I see your point. But who speaks for the less well off Scots who stand to lose out if the UK is not there to bail them out? The Scots Nats have no credible economic plan and that is my only beef with this.

I cannot stand by and see all those disadvantaged people finding themselves in a position where public services are diminished and employment made more difficult for no sensible reason. I find myself compelled to draw attention to this.

Independence does not make economic sense for any of those nations and such a course can only need for disadvantage to the most vulnerable.

How very true, It's True Scots like myself who care about those vulnerable people and hard working folks on minimum wages who are critical of the SNP and Sturgeon in particular. She doesn't care about the Scots . She is only interested in personal gain.

The Voice of Reason

• Wishful thinking, Mike.

It seems to me that most people south of the border are quite happy to let Scotland sink under their own rhetoric. Maybe we should just leave them to it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politi…d-b1840335.html

[EXTRACT]

Nicola Sturgeon’s SNP has said outright victory in this week’s Holyrood elections would be a mandate for a second referendum.

And a new BMG poll for The Independent suggests Britons agree.

The survey found that 41 per cent of those asked said Mr Johnson should allow another vote within four years if pro-independence parties win a majority in the Scottish Parliament this week, compared to just 33 per cent who opposed and 26 per cent who said they did not know.

• Staff Notice

Well, despite those cartoons, she is doing well. The SNP currently has won 53 seats and need 65 for a overall majority. The SNP has already gained one seat more than they did last time, so all they need to do is keep hold of what they've got and win one more seat.

Too close to call this one.

• It was fully expected that the SNP would win the Election easily. That was never in doubt...There was no opposition worth talking about. It remains to be seen what the final outcome will be.

The Voice of Reason

• Staff Notice

Well it looks like combined with the Greens vote, the nationalists have won. And with 40 votes still to come in, the SNP may still get a majority on their own too.

It's goodbye Scotland. Not now, but it will happen. :cursing::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

If anyone thought Brexit was painful and long, that's nothing compared to what's coming.... the breakup of our country.

• Nicola Sturgeon wants to rid herself of the English because she detests us and all we stand for. Her visible discomfort when greeting Boris Johnson says it all.

Scotland joined with us back in 1707, and although there were several reasons for the two countries joining together, an important consideration was that Scotland was heavily in debt, and they wanted to belong to the new UK to pay off those debts and become economically viable.

Clearly, many things have changed since then, but one important thing remains - there are important advantages of being together from Scotland's point of view, and the important factor is the wealth of the country as part of the UK.

Economically, separation makes little sense. The SNP loves to draw attention to the fact that other small countries can survive by themselves, so, she says, why can't we?

Nobody is claiming that Scotland couldn't survive, but its people would certainly become impoverished. None of the figures add up - as a result of independence, the figures would be sent in completely the wrong direction. The cost of government (those functions currently carried out by Westminster) and the taking away of the Barnett formula, the reduced ability to pay off the huge debts that have accrued, not least by the pandemic - how is all this to be reconciled? Furthermore, the declining revenues from North Sea oil resulting from reducing demand from fossil fuels do not give Scotland a way out of this.

The Scottish Conservatives are not doing enough to point out the emptiness of the SNP's arguments in respect of the economy, and neither are the Scottish Labour Party. It's about time the unionist parties fought back and demonstrated that the economic case was nothing more than hot air.

• You are spot on regarding the opposition parties in Scotland. They are just wee girly pussycats against the Butch Sturgeon. .

. Never mind, Sturgeon might be finally forced to admit her sexuality after seeing the internet re-action on Scottish Social Media. It might be useful for her " Husband of Convenience" to also clarify his sexuality.

The Voice of Reason

• Would you care to point out what figures do not add up. Then could you explain the Barnett formula to me. And why FFA should not apply to the fiscal ability of the Scottish economy. Then tell me what debt you are on about

Edited once, last by Jaydea (June 12, 2021 at 9:15 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!