When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I thought the NHS where abandoning the whole BMI nonsense. High carb diets are not good for weight loss. As someone that I class as semi-vegi, only ever eaten Chicken and the odd bacon butty for the last.....so long I can't remember. I have recently got into to eating liver and bacon. I listened to my body as it was crying out for Iron. I used to enjoy eating liver and bacon as a kid and I suddenly after all these years started craving it again.

• Your facts are indeed correct. Even as a life long vegetarian I concede we have evolved as a specie, and our tolerance of meat has probably changed. Our diets will change, and it is my belief civilised society will reduce the intake of meat, both for ethical and environmental reasons.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Your facts are indeed correct. Even as a life long vegetarian I concede we have evolved as a specie, and our tolerance of meat has probably changed. Our diets will change, and it is my belief civilised society will reduce the intake of meat, both for ethical and environmental reasons.

My diet won’t change. Mind you, I only have a limited shelf life!

• My diet won’t change. Mind you, I only have a limited shelf life!

I don't expect or want it to. Our diets will change as generations and opinions advance. In the mean time, let's respect our fellow creatures

• I tried vegetarianism as a teenager with my bestie at school. She came from a Hindu family and her parents were both strict veggies, but had been living in Britain long enough to have become liberal enough not to enforce it on their children.

Sahana and I decided we would go vegetarian for a month. It was a part experiment, part social conscience. And we stuck to it assiduously.

It was good actually. My enjoyment of food improved. I could taste it better. I felt healthier. All sorts of bodily functions (no details. Female things) seemed to go smoother and were less stressful. Between us we both agreed that vegetarianism was a good thing. I don't know if we ever said we would stick to it when the month was up, but I have to confess that as soon as the 30th day ticked over, we looked at each other and said "Cheeseburger".

I respect vegetarians and fully endorse what they say about all the health benefits, but I can't do it myself. I LIKE meat, fish and other animal products and can now exercise moderation. I must say though, that as I'm getting older, I'm getting more selective and find myself choosing the veggie option more often than before.

• The thing is if everyone was to convert to vegetarianism there would be a whole industry that is geared to meat based food production that would go out of business putting an awful lot of people out of work, yes some of them could adapt but it would still mean a lot of people out of work.

• The thing is if everyone was to convert to vegetarianism there would be a whole industry that is geared to meat based food production that would go out of business putting an awful lot of people out of work, yes some of them could adapt but it would still mean a lot of people out of work.

It will happen, but very slowly. Meat production will slow down and related companies will down size and diverse.

If everybody turned vegan our landscape would change for ever. Pigs, sheep, deer, cattle, ETC. would become totally extinct. That would be a sad state of affairs.

The Voice of Reason

• A lot of people enjoy eating meat including me, they enjoy the taste, texture etc, but are made to feel guilty about eating it, the way I see it is you pays your money and makes your choices, and as part of a varied diet eating a mixture of meat vegetables and fruit etc, there is nothing wrong with eating it, so people should be left alone to do what they want.

• Staff Notice

Just had ranch steaks griddled medium rare. We like our red meat.

It's fine if people want to eat broccoli, bean sprouts and quinoa. ( <X )

Remember that red meat is not bad for you. Now green meat: That's bad for you.

I guy I knew some time ago was a vegetarian. He always looked very pale. He was a sickly looking individual and I’m sure that was connected to his diet.

My only beef (pardon the pun) with meat eating is the suffering we put our animals through. But we have it within our power to legislate for minimum standards of farming animals and methods of slaughter. All of this should be carried out with huge compassion and caring for the animals. We don’t have to behave like savages.

Practices in slaughterhouses need to be reviewed forensically and all poor practices banned. I think that is what the vast majority of the public expect, but it isn’t happening.

• Staff Notice

I think vegetarianism and veganism has gone about as far as it will go. Those who are attracted to the idea have, by and large, already converted.

I think the opposite!

There are big changes afoot and the world cannot be sustained as it is with the huge consumption of meat. One company I am invested in called Beyond Meat and there are others out there.

There are different routes this can go down from artificially grown meat in a lab grown from animal cells (no animal is ever killed to supply the meat, because they were never born to begin with) to pure meat free foods which just happen to look and taste like meat. But I reckon it will be a major "thing" to come. Major.

We may be getting too much protein. Humans get plenty of protein without paying special attention to what they eat. We're more likely to consume TOO MUCH protein, resulting in nutritional deficiencies or insufficient fibre. Eating too much protein may also increase the risk of developing heart disease and may worsen kidney function because the body can have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.

Good post Jenny. In my household, these are daily concerns.

• Staff Notice

I think the opposite!

There are big changes afoot and the world cannot be sustained as it is with the huge consumption of meat. One company I am invested in called Beyond Meat and there are others out there.

There are different routes this can go down from artificially grown meat in a lab grown from animal cells (no animal is ever killed to supply the meat, because they were never born to begin with) to pure meat free foods which just happen to look and taste like meat. But I reckon it will be a major "thing" to come. Major.

I like the idea of artificially grown meat, but that isn’t vegetarianism or Veganism.

I don’t think they will ever persuade the population to abandon meat, but that is a good compromise.

• Artificially grown meat all sounds a bit Frankenstein to me, we are told that over processed food is bad for us, well as far as i am concerned nothing sounds more over processed than artificially grown meat, funny how everyone fears GM crops and the like yet we are supposed to accept artificially grown meat, :/

• If everybody turned vegan our landscape would change for ever. Pigs, sheep, deer, cattle, ETC. would become totally extinct. That would be a sad state of affairs.

Deer of course wouldn't become extinct, they run wild. Pigs, sheep and cattle as we know them are man developed creatures anyway.

• Artificially grown meat all sounds a bit Frankenstein to me, we are told that over processed food is bad for us, well as far as i am concerned nothing sounds more over processed than artificially grown meat, funny how everyone fears GM crops and the like yet we are supposed to accept artificially grown meat, :/Artificially grown meat has already been developed. Like any red meat it isn't a

Artificially grown meat has already been developed, albeit red meat isn't very good for us, regardless of where it comes from. At least it doesn't involve some poor creature having it's throat cut in order Mohammed is appeased. That said, our liberal woke culture would continue to allow Muslims to do as they wish in order nobody gets offended

• In a normal slaughterhouse animals are stunned before being killed, so those should be allowed to continue only where they not stunned should be outlawed.

Still doesn't answer the question why people are offended by gm crops from a laboratory, but not artificially produced meat from a laboratory.

• The crazy thing is that even if we all gave up meat the animals would still be killed so the ingredients can go into making other things like clothes, soap, make-up, food additives, pet food etc. I don't believe that becoming a vegetarian or even vegan should be forced upon others. The problem goes a lot deeper than the meat we eat. We should be thankful that the meat and kill does not go to waste like sharks killed only for their fins and rest chucked back in the Sea for others to eat.

• In a normal slaughterhouse animals are stunned before being killed, so those should be allowed to continue only where they not stunned should be outlawed.

Still doesn't answer the question why people are offended by gm crops from a laboratory, but not artificially produced meat from a laboratory.

I was talking to a vet a few weeks ago. One of his jobs is to attend slaughter houses to check everything is done correctly. According to him they find it simpler to kill the animals the Halal method, and this is the way most of the poor creatures end up. This appeases Muslims, and the rest of the meat eating community don't know any different. Horrible, but true.

For the life of me, I can't see why any meat eater would have a problem eating lab grown meat?

• The crazy thing is that even if we all gave up meat the animals would still be killed so the ingredients can go into making other things like clothes, soap, make-up, food additives, pet food etc. I don't believe that becoming a vegetarian or even vegan should be forced upon others. The problem goes a lot deeper than the meat we eat. We should be thankful that the meat and kill does not go to waste like sharks killed only for their fins and rest chucked back in the Sea for others to eat.

I am not suggesting that anyone should be forced to be a vegan or vegetarian, I propose this will happen naturally in civilised countries over a period of time. This will be for reasons of health, ethics, and the environment. Your other point isn't correct. There is nothing we can't produce without killing animals, even pet food. My son's dog lived to 15 eating a vegetarian diet all it's life. Cats are a little harder to appease, but far from impossible. The slaughter of sharks is indeed vile. For everyone one human being that is killed by a shark, one million sharks are killed by human beings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!