Eurovision Lash Up

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • The Eurovision Song Contest will take place on Saturday in Amsterdam...... Yaaayyyyyyy...!!!

The annual music* contest is back and I can't wait for Saturday. We really missed it last year. As a cultural and musical "contest" it has done more for peaceful, friendly relations between the peoples of Europe than any political alliance or treaty. Even Australia takes part.... How European is that...!!! It unites us all in a friendly contest that entertains and as an added bonus, acts as a massive tourist advertisement for the host nation. What's not to like...?

The rules have been tightened up to reduce some of the more ludicrous antics of the contestants. So it's goodbye to Russian Grannies, singers performing on trampolines, pianos that catch fire and Orcs from Finland (although actually, Lordi were pretty good).

We usually have a Eurovision party at Chez Jen..... just a bunch of mates coming round for wine and food and the craic...... to enjoy the entertainment. It's fun. But this year restrictions still apply so no party. Booooooo...!! we'll enjoy it in our own way though. UK probably won't win but good luck to James Newman anyway. We'll actually wave a little Union Flag for him. Only a little one, mind.

So, if any of you out there in FB land will also be viewing in, I propose the following Lash Up:

24 Years: The last UK Eurovision win was in 1997 as we all know. So, every time Katrina and the Waves are referred to, imbibe two fingers of your favourite poison and sing the first lines of Love Shine a light. For my Irish friends, make that any time Johnny Logan or any other Irish winner is mentioned. Pay attention, now.

Heeeeerrrrrrre’s Conchita..!!: She’s bound to put in an appearance at some point of the evening so everybody down a pint of lager and toast “Prost” or “Zum Wohl” (that’s German for “Good Health”)

Oh No..!! Graham Norton mentioned Jedward: Empty your glass of whatever is in it at the time to dispel the awful memory.

Oggie, Oggie, Oggie, James Newman won a Brit Award in 2014. The integers of 2014 add up to 7, so every time he is given 7 or more points by a judge, wave your union flag and shout “oi, oi, oi as you neck the tipple of your choice.

Feel free to add any more you can think of.

Can Anybody Beat Genghis Khan...?? The German entry in 1979 was “The Rocking Son of Genghis Khan”. This had to be the cheesiest Eurovision song of all time bar none. F’rinstance, one of the lyrics went “His dad had melancholia / he was the leader of Mongolia” Sheer Eurovision genius. If anything better than that comes up this year, just get totally smashed. You deserve it for listening.

(Actually, better than Genghis Khan was Ireland’s entry in 2008. Dustin The Turkey was a glove puppet act but that didn’t get past the semi final stage so doesn’t ace GK. Some people accuse me of mocking Eurovision but they misunderstand me. I love it in all its glorious, wonderful kitsch. After all, how do you make a mockery of a show that once had Samantha Janus in a pink basque singing about starving kids in Africa while three near naked dancers gyrated behind her? I ask you...!!)

*For the benefit of purists, I use the word "music" in its loosest possible terms 😄

• Staff Notice

I haven't watched it for decades either. We'll come next to last again this time as Europe hates the UK. The whole thing has become politically dominated with countries mutually voting for eachother.

We'll have a block-buster film on from the media library as usual for a Saturday.

• Just a shame that leaving the EU didn't also mean the UK no longer takes part in this shit show, I'll just do the normal avoiding this like the plague at all costs luckily plenty on the likes of amazon to watch. 🤣

• Staff Notice

Eurovision odds from Paddy Power (top 10 plus UK)

• Italy 2/1
    • France 3/1
    • Malta 5/1
    • Ukraine 15/2
    • Switzerland 8/1
    • Iceland 14/1
    • Finland 25/1
    • Portugal 33/1
    • San Marino 40/1
    • Bulgaria 50/1
    • UK 250/1

Source

• Staff Notice

Having not watched it either, I shouldn't really comment, but did we have a decent song? We can't expect to do well, if we only put in half measures all the time. That said, this competition has always been about politics.

• Having not watched it either, I shouldn't really comment, but did we have a decent song? We can't expect to do well, if we only put in half measures all the time. That said, this competition has always been about politics.

As I commented above it wouldn't make any difference whether the song was decent of not, can decent song be used in the same sentence as Eurovision anyway does any of them qualify as being a decent song, they are all rubbish even the winners or maybe I should say especially the winners, all the UK entries have always been hapless no hopers or old has beens trying re-float their failing careers.

• As I commented above it wouldn't make any difference whether the song was decent of not, can decent song be used in the same sentence as Eurovision anyway does any of them qualify as being a decent song, they are all rubbish even the winners or maybe I should say especially the winners, all the UK entries have always been hapless no hopers or old has beens trying re-float their failing careers.

A very accurate summation of the majority of the songs. Not all of them though...... For every cowpat in the competition, there is a diamond. Some of the songs were very good.

I hoped the French entry would win. It was a beautiful ballad, sung in the classical French "Cafe Chanson" style. For me it would have been a worthy winner and hey, France haven't won since 1977, which is twenty years longer than since the last time UK won. They don't get all kranky about it. They just enter a song every year, everybody has a good time and the entry with the most votes wins.

I liked James Newman's response to the announcement that UK would finish with Nil Points. He and his backing group got up, smiled, waved to everybody and took a bow. They clapped the audience and the audience clapped back. They showed him respect for the way he took it. He showed good humour, a bit of humility and he accepted the decision without complaint. He'd had a good time, sung his song, represented his country and now it was over.

He went out like a trouper should. With applause ringing in his ears and the happy smiles of an audience that appreciated him having been there and taken part. In that gesture he did more for the reputation of the British people than anything else that has happened in the last six years.

Roll on next year.

• I'm going to say it because I'm fed up of all the abba adoration that goes on and how everybody and thier dog are supposed to have a favourite abba song, well as far as I'm concerned they were all equally shite. There said it. 😜

• I'm going to say it because I'm fed up of all the abba adoration that goes on and how everybody and thier dog are supposed to have a favourite abba song, well as far as I'm concerned they were all equally shite. There said it. 😜

I loved Abba. I have around 100 of their songs on this computer and we have the DVDs of both Mamma Mia movies and have seen the stage show in the West End.

I have too many faves to name just one, but the list includes: One Of Us....... Slipping Through My Fingers...... I Wonder....... Andante, Andante..... Happy New Year.......

I could list loads more.

Try this, if it's not too snowflakey for you, Ron. When she left Abba, Anni-Frid Lyngstad married a German count and became a sort of royalty figure. She now spends all his money pursuing conservation projects. Good on yer, Anni. She recorded this song, written by Julian Lennon in 1992.

Anni-Frid Lyngstad - Saltwater

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!