OLD BOY’S TV CHOICE

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Not seen Ray Donovan or Chernobyl yet.

I've got a LOT films and tv to catch up on at some point in the future. I just hope it won't be all too dated by then.

• Not seen Ray Donovan or Chernobyl yet.

I've got a LOT films and tv to catch up on at some point in the future. I just hope it won't be all too dated by then.

Chernobyl is really worth seeing.

I’ve not watched Ray Donovan yet but my daughter has watched every series and speaks highly of it.

Like you, I have a backlog of stuff to see, not helped by the fact that the best ones I watch with my wife, who keeps falling asleep in the evenings, Grrr! :D

• Watch out for ‘Showtrial’ this coming week on Sunday, BBC1, which promises to be a good legal drama.

‘Departure’ also returns for a new series, and this time, rather than investigating the disappearance of a plane, Kendra is assigned to discover the reason for a train crash. (Monday, Sky Witness).

‘The Act’ is a series not to miss, about a mother who subjects her daughter to unnecessary medical surgeries by deception. This is one not to be missed! Watch it on 5STAR on Thursday.

Other top picks include ‘Valley of Tears’, which was postponed from 8 October (More4, 9pm) and another chance to watch ‘The Feed’ (Monday, Virgin Ultra HD).

Full details in post #2 on page 1.

• This coming week’s listings from Saturday 6 February are now available on post #2.

Drama highlights are:

‘Close to Me’ about the anxiety felt by a woman recovering from a fall which has caused her to lose her memory when she starts to realise that there are things that don’t add up with the story she is being fed by her family (Sunday, Channel 4, 9pm).

‘The Tower’, which is a drama that centres on a mystery of how a police officer and a teenager came to fall out of tower block (Monday, ITV, 9pm)

‘Dexter: New Blood’ sees the return of our favourite serial killer who has a compelling urge to give the bad guys a dose of their own medicine (Monday, Sky Atlantic, 9pm).

Little Boy Blue’ is the true story dramatised for TV about the shooting of little Rhys Jones in case you missed it the first time around (Monday, ITV3, 11.05pm).

• The listings for the week commencing 13 November have now appeared on post #2 above.

The top pick this week is ‘The Lost Symbol’ which is on Sky Max and Showcase on Thursday. For lovers of the Da Vinci Code, this is the prequal.

• The latest listings have been added at post #2.

The Top Picks for this week include ‘The Ugly Truth’ on Virgin Ultra HD, Saturday; ‘Native Son’ on Sky Atlantic and ‘The Gulf’ on Drama, Sunday; ‘The New Pope’ on Sky Atlantic and ‘Deep Water’ on ITV3, Monday; ‘Hope Street’ on BBC1 Northern Ireland, Wednesday are all dramas that may be well worth watching from the write-ups I’ve seen, although I’ve not watched any of them myself.

Sadly, the best programmes now are headed for the streamers, which will probably be our main focus in time.

• The listings for the week commencing 27 November have arrived and are set out in post #2 above.

Potentially good dramas to look out for this week are ‘American Rust’ (Sunday) and Yellowjackets (Thursday), both on Sky Atlantic.

For Chucky fans, a new series commences on Sky Max and Sky Showcase (Friday).

• Included in the new TV listings for the week commencing 4 December 2021 (post #2) are the following TOP PICKS:

‘You Don’t Know Me’ on BBC1, Sunday at 9pm about a young man accused of murder who dismisses his counsel to conduct his own defence;

‘Ragdoll’ on Alibi, Monday at 9pm, which tells the story of a serial killer who has listed six more people to be killed;

‘Landscapers’ on Sky Atlantic at 9pm, a true story about a couple who murdered the wife’s parents for their money and buried the bodies in their garden;

‘Vienna Blood’ on BBC2, Friday at 9pm, a new series of the drama which sees a doctor suspecting foul play when a patient is found drowned in the bath.

If you haven’t seen ‘Fringe’, which commences again from the start, Syfy, Monday at 7.30pm, this is one of the better science fiction series which I have also flagged up as a TOP PICK.

Happy viewing!

• The listings for the week commencing 11 December are now shown at post #2 on page 1.

If you’ve not watched ‘The Pembrokeshire Murders’ yet, this is one of only two ‘Top Picks’ this week.

‘The Gulf’ is the only new drama series this coming week.

• The listings for the week before Christmas are now available at post #2 on the first page of this thread.

Good new dramas are hard to find at this time of year - most programmes are ‘Christmas’ this and ‘Christmas’ that - all very predictable, but great for those who love to launch big time into the festive season.

I have not watched ‘Gommorah’ at all yet, but the final season is on Sky Atlantic on Saturday.

I have highlighted ‘All Creatures Great and Small’ on Friday simply because it is a Christmas edition, but previous stories from the series are on demand.

Also on Friday, ‘The Mezzotint’ looks promising, but no guarantees!

• Not seen any of those yet OB, so thanks for higlighting those.

I'm currently about 15 years behind on most British dramas. As you probably know, I will try and make time for sci fi stuff, but that's usually American and in the case of the recent Apple dramas, not so good. At least I've got it all to look forward to! :)

• Not seen any of those yet OB, so thanks for higlighting those.

I'm currently about 15 years behind on most British dramas. As you probably know, I will try and make time for sci fi stuff, but that's usually American and in the case of the recent Apple dramas, not so good. At least I've got it all to look forward to! :)

Like you, I love sci-fi, but I find most sci-fi programmes disappointing.

When I was in my late teens, I watched ‘The Body Snatchers’ and thought it was terrifying! It seemed so real.

I enjoyed ‘Star Trek Deep Space Nine’ and ‘Star Trek Voyager’ very much although if I watched it again now, they would probably seem dated now.

Star Wars has not attracted me. Invasion did, but it doesn’t do anything for me.

There must be the capacity now to pull off a really good sci-fi programme now, but I don’t see one coming yet.

• If you do not currently receive the Virgin Ultra HD channel, you may be interested to know that it is free for all Virgin TV subscribers from today until 31 December!

• The listings highlights for Christmas Day to New Years Eve are now available on post #2 of this thread.

Of particular interest:

‘Around the World in 80 days’ - a new series starring David Tennant (BBC1, 5.50pm, Sunday)

‘A Very British Scandal’ (BBC1, 9pm, Sunday), a drama dealing with the scandalous case that became of major public interest when the Duke and Duchess of Argyll were divorced.

‘Clarice’ (Alibi, 9pm, Monday), about an FBI agent who gets an urgent assignment to join a special investigation.

• I tried to watch some telly a few days and it was a sea of panel shows and reality in the evening. Can't the broadcasters come up with anything original?

• It should improve with the New Year, Horizon. Many new dramas have been held up owing to the pandemic.

My sneak peek at the New Year indicates an improvement.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!