OLD BOY’S TV CHOICE

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The New Year listings have been posted on #2. Highlights are:

‘The Tourist’ about a man injured when a huge truck pursued him. The man has amnesia as a result but must try to work out who he is and who the people who are trying to kill him are when he realises his life is still in danger (BBC1, 9pm, Saturday).

‘Anne’ is a true-story drama about a mother who relentlessly campaigns for justice after the death of her son at the Hillsborough disaster (ITV, 9pm, Sunday).

‘Four Lives’ tells the story of the families of four murder victims who were killed by Stephen Port, and their battle to expose police incompetence in the investigation. (BBC1, 9pm, Monday).

‘Screw’, about the management of a prison run by a control freak who allows the staff too little freedom in their work (Channel 4, 9pm, Thursday).

There’s another opportunity to watch the second series of ‘The Bay’ (ITV3) and ‘Counterpart’ (Virgin Ultra HD).

Look out also for ‘Bull on Sky Witness and ‘A Discovery of Witches’ on Sky Max/Showcase.

This is the best week we’ve had for dramas for some time, so hopefully the programmes that were delayed by the pandemic are at last coming through now.

• ‘The Tourist’ about a man injured when a huge truck pursued him. The man has amnesia as a result but must try to work out who he is and who the people who are trying to kill him are when he realises his life is still in danger (BBC1, 9pm, Saturday).

Interested in this one. I missed it on Saturday, but will get to it on catchup at some point.

Nice to have something other than Bradley Walsh to watch. :)

• Interested in this one. I missed it on Saturday, but will get to it on catchup at some point.

Nice to have something other than Bradley Walsh to watch. :)

I would rather watch Bradley Walsh than the Geordie drink driver and his midget sidekick, would also like to see less of "I'm now gay" Scofield and the moronic Mulhern. ;)

• I would rather watch Bradley Walsh than the Geordie drink driver and his midget sidekick, would also like to see less of "I'm now gay" Scofield and the moronic Mulhern. ;)

You are simply awash with compliments today, Ron. I see you are starting the New Year as you mean to go on… :D

• round the World in 80 days’ - a new series starring David Tennant (BBC1, 5.50pm, Sunday)

I have just caught up with this watched the first two episodes on iPlayer yesterday afternoon and 3 and 4 on BBC1 as they showed them back to back yesterday evening, classic story that I think everybody knows but it was still a good watch and David Tennant is always worth a watch.

• The listings for the week commencing 8 January 2022 are now displayed at post #2.

Highlights are:

Underground

A group of slaves attempt to escape from a plantation.

Virgin Ultra HD, 11.55pm, Saturday.

Vera (NEW)

A hit-and-run incident becomes more intriguing for the detective when the victim’s son is abducted.

ITV, 8pm, Sunday

Confirmation

A sexual harassment case against a judge is the focus of this true story.

Sky Atlantic, 9pm, Sunday

Rules of the Game (NEW)

Maxine Peake stars as a businesswoman who presides over an unhappy workforce.

BBC1, 9pm, Tuesday

The Bay (NEW)

This popular drama series returns with an investigation into the discovery of a boxer’s body.

ITV, 9pm, Wednesday

Nice to see the dramas returning to our screens after the pandemic hiatus!

• I'll get around to them one day OB, just don't know when.

Apart from the odd sci fi drama like Foundation (which I saw recently) I see very little telly at the moment.

• The latest listings are now displayed at

post #2. A bit disappointing this week, but most will be able to pick out one or two programmes that might be worthwhile.

My top picks this week are:

Hidden Assets’ 🆕

A drama in which detectives from Ireland and Belgium must work together to solve a case.

BBC4, 9pm, Saturday

Traces

Another chance to see this drama series about a woman who investigates her mother’s unsolved murder.

Drama, 9pm, Saturday

Pretty Hard Cases’ 🆕

Amusing drama about a detective who must take down a drug lord.

Alibi, 9pm, Wednesday.

• The listings for the week commencing 22 January 2022 are now displayed at post #2. Highlights of the new dramas are:

Trigger Point 🆕

This series follows a team of bomb disposal experts. In this first episode, there is a suspected bomb factory in a block of flats.

Sunday, ITV, 9pm

The Responder 🆕

A police response officer (played by Michael Freeman) must hold down his busy job while his marriage is falling apart.

Monday, BBC1, 9pm

Billions 🆕

The new series begins as Mike Prince takes charge of Axe’s bank and hedge fund.

Monday, Sky Atlantic, 9pm

The Gilded Age 🆕

Period drama set after the American Civil War, when conflicts between the established wealthy elite and the up and coming middle class company owners was causing increasing tension between the classes.

Tuesday, Sky Atlantic, 9pm

• Not seen Billions yet and that other Sky Atlantic drama seems interesting too. Shame we can't get Sky Atlantic on VM which means getting via other methods instead. :whistling:

Thanks for that OB. :thumbup:

• Your latest listings for the week commencing 29 January 2022 are now set out in post #2 of this thread. The top picks this week are:

The Teacher 🆕

This drama series is about a well regarded teacher who faces an accusation of sleeping with a pupil.

Monday, Channel 5, 9pm

Raised by Wolves

If you missed this last time, this sci-findrama is worth watching. After the decimation of the human race through war, androids are given responsibility for raising children on a newly discovered planet.

Tuesday, Sky Atlantic, 10.05pm

Big Love

A polygamous family try to better themselves in a hostile environment, keeping their lifestyle secret from the wider public. If you did not see this first time around, this is unusual and compelling.

Tuesday, Sky Atlantic, 11.10pm

• Raised by Wolves

If you missed this last time, this sci-findrama is worth watching. After the decimation of the human race through war, androids are given responsibility for raising children on a newly discovered planet.

Tuesday, Sky Atlantic, 10.05pm

I actually saw this last year via "other methods" and thought it was pretty good.

Big Love

A polygamous family try to better themselves in a hostile environment, keeping their lifestyle secret from the wider public. If you did not see this first time around, this is unusual and compelling.

Tuesday, Sky Atlantic, 11.10pm

And thouroughly entertaining with the man and his three wives.

Starting watching this several years ago, but events took their course and my bulk of my free time evaporated and I never got back to this series, but I will! It's brillant. Thanks for the reminder.:)

The Teacher 🆕

This drama series is about a well regarded teacher who faces an accusation of sleeping with a pupil.

Monday, Channel 5, 9pm

One I will see. Seems to be lots of dramas like this at the moment.

Thanks OB.

• The listings for the week commencing 5 February 2022 are now available on post #2.

Top picks this coming week are:

Chloe

A psychological drama about an office temp who becomes obsessed with the life of Chloe Fairbourne, but is mortified when she finds she has died. So she decides to get closer to her circle of friends in an effort to find out more.

Sunday, BBC1, 9pm

No Return

A teenager faces a long term in prison after an incident in Turkey. His parents desperately try to navigate the legal system to get him out.

Monday, ITV, 9pm

This is Going to Hurt

A junior doctor makes a mistake while on the labour ward.

Tuesday, BBC1, 9pm

The Fear Index

A man who sets out to exploit weaknesses in the financial system is attacked in his own home.

Thursday, Sky Atlantic, 9pm

• Sadly, not so many new dramas this week. Top picks are:

Counterpoint

A new series of this drama commences about contact with a parallel world through a portal. Interesting stuff!

Sunday, Virgin Ultra HD, 9.05pm

Traces

A second series of this drama about a woman who trains as a forensic scientist. It sounds as though this has potential, although I’ve not seen the first series yet,!

Tuesday, Alibi, 9pm

My listings highlights for next week can be found on post #2.

• The listings choice for the week commencing Saturday 19 February is now available at post #2.

No top picks this week as there are no new quality dramas starting, but it is a good week for films. There’s a good choice available whether or not you have subscription TV.

In particular, look out for ‘Bohemian Rhapsody (Channel 4, Saturday at 9pm); ‘Gone Girl’, (Channel 4, Sunday at 11.30pm); Entebbe (BBC2, Monday, 11.15 pm); ‘Downsizing’, (Film4, Monday, 11.20pm); ‘Captain Fantastic’, (BBC2, Tuesday, 11.15pm), and more.

• Captain Fantastic was on BBC2 last year and I saw it then and thought it was very interesting, so will watch again on the repeat showing.

Thanks OB. :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!