Afghanistan lurching back to the Taliban

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Official Post

So the Taliban has advanced into another seven districts of Afghanistan. All those years of an American occupation, with vast amounts of money spent and many lives lost….for what?

Let’s hope they don’t come back even stronger than before and threaten the West yet again with terrorist attacks.

https://www.longwarjournal.org…icts-in-the-past-week.php

• What do you mean lurching back. They never left. We still fly daily SORTIES over there and other parts of the Middle East and are still dropping hundreds of bombs to try and keep things from kicking off again. I'm sorry but long term they will come back even stronger than before and threaten the West. That is the nature of war. One makes enemies so get attacked either directly or indirectly. Sadly it's most likely us innocent citizens and their innocent citizens that will bare the brunt of it. This will be like the IRA all over again. Worse still is that this country is so intent on screwing life up for many here that it will drive many to the other side. Home grown recruits that will feed into it. It's a vicious circle and the cat has been let out the bag now. We should never have joined the wanks in starting it. Blair is sitting comfortably on his millions made from it. That c**t should be trialled as a war criminal. Don't forget there are all the kids back then who's family where killed by the coalition and they are probably at the age now where they are the replacements wanting revenge. The next generation. This will go on for next 100 years or more. That's if the human species lives that long. We have bigger threats to contend with also brought about by our stupidity and selfish greed.

• Official Post

Let’s hope they don’t come back even stronger than before and threaten the West yet again with terrorist attacks.

You would know this anyway, but of course it wasn't the Taliban that attacked America, they just played host to the attackers.

I am a interventionist by nature, but only when it's in our interests to do so or whether there could be a huge loss of innocent life.

We cannot turn a medieval culture into a western liberal democracy in a few decades. Either we stayed there for the next 100 years or get out and obviously the Americans have chosen to leave.

I feel very sorry for the many girls and women who will suffer under any new Taliban administration, but it is for Afghans to decide what their culture should and shouldn't be and the Taliban has widespread support in the south of the country.

• 1 I am a interventionist by nature, but only when it's in our interests to do so or whether there could be a huge loss of innocent life.

2 We cannot turn a medieval culture into a western liberal democracy in a few decades. Either we stayed there for the next 100 years or get out and obviously the Americans have chosen to leave.

3 I feel very sorry for the many girls and women who will suffer under any new Taliban administration, but it is for Afghans to decide what their culture should and shouldn't be and the Taliban has widespread support in the south of the country.

I pretty much agree with your 3 points.

My caveats or thoughts which give me mental turmoil are .........

I'm not keen on one country intervening or acting unilaterally unless it has enough worldwide support

Better still, tangible support

Better still, with the support of the UN was supposed to be but isn't (with teeth). We need a world police with action based on a vote majority rather than unanimity

Better still, when the plan is for a long-term fix, a new future, a lasting redevelopment not just a quick temporary fix that will reccur.

Yes, with without a huge loss of innocent life. But who is innocent in a country that is behaving and thinking in a way that is a burden and threat to a world at large who are for the most part much more civilised?

For instance, what should I do with innocent pigeons who crap all over my patio and on garden furniture and then build a nest inside my chimney which I don't know about until I light a fire, which sets fire to the chimney which sets fire to my house?

Or during a beach picnic, an innocent seagull sweeps down to devour my sandwich and (accidentally?) pecks me and (accidentally) it has pecked my eye?

Or in a world of insects, is an innocent young mosquito an innocent young life to be preserved just because it hasn't yet bitten anyone?

Expanding beyond insects and birds, the difference between a guilty or innocent creature or person of the same DNA might ultimately just be happenstance. This is especially true if breeding is inward rather than outward, where such nature & nurture will either enlarge and preserve something worthy of preserving ...... or be worthy of eradicating.

Are innocent humans really innocent if they willingly voted for a government that allows them to be a deliberate or unwitting danger or unsustainable burden on this planet?

China gives me the creeps for all sorts of rational and emotional reasons but I understand why they are intolerant to a religion or ideology (a faint difference) which seeks to enlarge its influence (or procreates at a rate which has that effect), which the West seems unable or unwilling to understand (or admit out loud to doing so)

• Afghans are Muslims, it is a Muslim country..-- They will be encouraged to support the Taliban who are also Muslims. It makes sense for all Afghans to follow the Koran..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!