Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Ah, yes. :) For a second, I thought there might have been a special setting or somethikng to switch off the commentary track.

Geez matey. I am knocking on for 80. I have to get my grandkids to show me how these remote things work. And how to switch it on. I now even have a phone that talks to other phones when I am not in. It took my 10 year old grandkid hours to talk me through it. I sort of get it. But I still own a watch that actually tells you the time.

• Staff Notice

There has been discussion on another forum as to why there couldn't be a alternative audio stream with just the crowd sounds with no commentary.

I actually thought there was. We've had sports before, haven't we, with no commentary, or is it just my imagination?

• Its not so much the commentary that bothers me its the hour long run up to the kick off to the match do we need to have old has been ex-footie players talking bollocks for an hour beforehand.

• It does annoy me when I see in media that England have already qualified for next round so don't really need to do anything in their last match, I'm sorry but going into a football match with that kind of attitude is wrong, a team should always try to win not rely on results of other matches to get through. 🙄

• Well done England tonight. The only bug in the boiler was that England performed a demeaning Racial gesture before the match started, while their opponents maintained their dignity. Shame on England for that.

• Well as the headlines say Scotland repeat history rather than making it. :P

And will continue to do so until the SFA drag themselves into the 21st century. This idea of continually passing the ball backwards and across the field in their own half, instead of going forward into the opposition half is ruining the Scottish game. No commitment to score goals. !!!

• And will continue to do so until the SFA drag themselves into the 21st century. This idea of continually passing the ball backwards and across the field in their own half, instead of going forward into the opposition half is ruining the Scottish game. No commitment to score goals. !!!

It's called "keeping the ball". A novel innovation to English football brought here by Pep Guardiola at Manchester City in 2017 / 18, a season in which they ran away with the Premier League title and became the first (and to date, only) club in English football to total 100 points in a season.

So there must be something in it, eh..?

Of course, those dastardly Europeans have been playing like this for donkeys years, which might explain why they keep winning things. Simply by exercising their brains, they figured out that when they have the ball, then they are the only team that can score a goal. So, if they have the ball, then their opponents can't score. It isn't rocket science.

Of course, possession football is nothing new. The Hungarians were doing it in the 1950's and having first thumped England 6-3 at Wembley in 1953 by playing like this. Then, just to show it wasn't a fluke, they beat England 7-1 in the return in Budapest.

When asked if England should adopt a similar form of this new-fangled "coaching" that was happening all over the continent, England's centre forward Tommy Lawton replied: "You're not going to tell me how to head a football, or tell Stanley Matthews how to dribble. We don't need no bloody Hungarian schoolteacher telling us how to play football." Open minded to new ideas as ever, the English.

Another wonderful innovation that senor Guardiola has introduced is "playing out from the back". It's similar to playing keep-ball, but it starts from the goalkeeper passing the ball to one of his backs rather than wellying it as far downfield as possible in the hope that "Big Alf" will get a flick on and set up a goalscoring opportunity.

"Playing out from the back" means that, again, your team has possession and if they've worked hard in training and learned how to pass the ball to somebody wearing the same colour shirt, they can keep possession as long as possible and thus be "the-only-team-that-can-score" all the time they do so. Opponents press up on them and make forward passes difficult sometimes so rather than take a high risk pass to a marked team mate, they pass backwards to an UNmarked team mate, thus keeping possession and starting all over again.

Incidentally, Guardiola introduced "play out from the back" to England in the 2018/19 season and again, won the Premier League. Is this not telling you something..?

It's not as visceral as the English like, for sure. There's no "Get stuck in, 'arry" or no "have his legs orf, Chopper". Just simple Pass and Support football...... do your running when you haven't got the ball in order to find space or at least, draw opponents out of position to create space for a team mate.

Of course it's only thanks to enlightened European coaches with their innovations and tactical systems that it happens in ye olde merrye England.

Incidentally...... and I mention it only in passing........ An English manager has never won the Premier League.

Oh, and just to show you how Manchester City play this particular sort of football. Watch the video. You might just learn something.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's called "keeping the ball". A novel innovation to English football brought here by Pep Guardiola at Manchester City in 2017 / 18, a season in which they ran away with the Premier League title and became the first (and to date, only) club in English football to total 100 points in a season.

So there must be something in it, eh..?

You are 100% correct. I gave up watching Scotland play when they were cuffed by Portugal 5-0 years ago. They became a embarrassment to watch. To be fair they have improved and I watched all the games they played. And as you say "keeping the ball". They just do not have that ability. When they took possession. Two kicks later they lost it. Time after time. I have no idea why. As most play for the top teams in the UK. Going back. Guys like Ally McCoist, Big Joe Jordan Archie Gemmill and the like played with passion. And would have paid to put on a Scotland shirt. I saw that coming back. Without doubt a improvement. On the up side. At least they will not have to play against the likes of Spain. God knows what embarrassment that would have ended up. On a like manner. I do not think England will go much further. The difference being. They will not be a embarrassment.

• I watch the first half hour of the last Scotland match and then switched off. It was totally humilliating to see our team with no skill, commitment or passion. The opposing team were slick, accurate in their passing and had a will to win. How do we improve in the future ?. I've no idea. Perhaps another forum member can come up with a solution.

• The Euro football authorities are definitely showing their bias against England. They are threatening to ban any English supporters from singing a traditional English childrens song " 10 German Bombers " during games. How stupid and Woke is that ??.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!