When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It's not about politics, though, it's about the football. How many times has it been argued that politics should be kept out of sport?

Most people in this country who are not anti-English or who have their roots in other countries would have wanted England to win, regardless of their politics. However, when the team takes the knee at a match, they will get booed by some because the sportsmen themselves are trying to bring politics into it.

Taking the knee is regarded by many people as being in support of the BLM movement, which has been hijacked by lefties, whereas I think the football teams do this in support of their black players to show that they are with them and do not support abusive comments from the crowd.

As for being 'woke', I think the majority of people are fed up with this nonsense, whether they are footballers or not.

It seems Gareth Southgate is quite proud of being "Woke" and is prepared to say so. I have highlighted certain parts just so you don't miss them.

Gareth Southgate: Dear England

I have - as is my wont - made a few selective snips that I hope will tease you into wanting to read the whole thing, just to see where he's coming from.

Southgate wrote his open letter to the young people of England before the Euros started. He had no idea how well England would do back then, but he was prepared to stand up for what he believed in regardless.

I find myself admiring him a bit more every day.

snip 1

For me, personally, my sense of identity and values is closely tied to my family and particularly my granddad. He was a fierce patriot and a proud military man, who served during World War II.

The idea of representing “Queen and country” has always been important to me. We do pageantry so well in Britain, and, growing up, things like the Queen’s silver jubilee and royal weddings had an impact on me.

Because of my granddad, I’ve always had an affinity for the military and service in the name of your country — though the consequence of my failure in representing England will never be as high as his. My granddad’s values were instilled in me from a young age and I couldn’t help but think of him when I lined up to sing the national anthem before my first international caps.

My belief is that everyone has that pride. And that includes the players.

What is sometimes forgotten is just how much it means to the players.

snip 2

It’s a profound privilege. Don’t forget, many of our lads started out at Football League clubs like Barnsley, MK Dons and Sheffield United. Their backgrounds are humble. For them to make it to this point as one of the chosen few in England’s history … well, it simply doesn't happen without pride.

This is a special group. Humble, proud and liberated in being their true selves.

Our players are role models. And, beyond the confines of the pitch, we must recognise the impact they can have on society. We must give them the confidence to stand up for their teammates and the things that matter to them as people.

I have never believed that we should just stick to football.

snip 3

I know my voice carries weight, not because of who I am but because of the position that I hold. At home, I’m below the kids and the dogs in the pecking order but publicly I am the England men’s football team manager. I have a responsibility to the wider community to use my voice, and so do the players.

It’s their duty to continue to interact with the public on matters such as equality, inclusivity and racial injustice, while using the power of their voices to help put debates on the table, raise awareness and educate.

snip 4

Why would you choose to insult somebody for something as ridiculous as the colour of their skin?

Why?

Unfortunately for those people that engage in that kind of behaviour, I have some bad news. You’re on the losing side. It’s clear to me that we are heading for a much more tolerant and understanding society, and I know our lads will be a big part of that.

It might not feel like it at times, but it’s true. The awareness around inequality and the discussions on race have gone to a different level in the last 12 months alone.

I am confident that young kids of today will grow up baffled by old attitudes and ways of thinking.

For many of that younger generation, your notion of Englishness is quite different from my own. I understand that, too.

I understand that on this island, we have a desire to protect our values and traditions — as we should — but that shouldn’t come at the expense of introspection and progress.

snip 5

But, the reality is that the result is just a small part of it. When England play, there's much more at stake than that.

It’s about how we conduct ourselves on and off the pitch, how we bring people together, how we inspire and unite, how we create memories that last beyond the 90 minutes. That last beyond the summer. That last forever.

I think about all the young kids who will be watching this summer, filling out their first wall charts. No matter what happens, I just hope that their parents, teachers and club managers will turn to them and say, “Look. That’s the way to represent your country. That’s what England is about. That is what’s possible.”

If we can do that, it will be a summer to be proud of.

Well said, Gareth.

• Well it will be interesting if England win on Sunday as they will be considered to be the best national team in Europe, even if they don't win they can be the 2nd best team in Europe also a team whose country is not in the EU. 8o

• I don't disagree with his opinions as expressed here. He seems a genuinely nice bloke.

After all his been through, with fans accusing him of failing England, let's hope he takes us to victory on Sunday and gets everyone on side.

• Southgate is a Loony Leftie who has been brainwashed by all the woke rubbish currently being circulated by some of the Media.

He has lost all common sense, which is not very common nowadays.

I had hoped that England would win the title. But after the disgusting behaviour of their fans booing the Danish National Anthem also shining a laser light in the face of the Denmark Goalie and the players diving, feigning injury , They have proved that they are NOT to be admired... IMHO they don't deserve to still be in the competition.

I no longer care who wins the final. The competition has been sullied and diminished by England I'm sorry to say.

The Voice of Reason

• You cannot blame a whole nation for the actions of a few morons and yes it is a few, who were responsible for the booing and the shining of the laser or whatever it was, but as usual the media latch onto the actions of a few and tarnish every English person the same when they are not, and of course the gullable amongst us fall for it believing it to be true.

• You cannot blame a whole nation for the actions of a few morons and yes it is a few, who were responsible for the booing and the shining of the laser or whatever it was, but as usual the media latch onto the actions of a few and tarnish every English person the same when they are not, and of course the gullable amongst us fall for it believing it to be true.

There was more than "Just a few" who ignored social distancing, damaged vehicles and behaved in a thuggish manner. I'm sure the decent members of the English support were as disgusted at their moronic behavior as the rest of us.

Never the less, those Morons have tarnished the reputation of the England team and supporters. IMHO using a Laser device against the opposing keeper is totally unforgivable.

The Voice of Reason

• Yes and equally pissed off with those who blame the whole nation because if it was done with any other nation it would be called racism but because its the English being labelled its OK and we just have to accept it, well fuck that I won't accept it.

It was essentially just a few when compared to the whole population but any excuse to slag the whole of the English for the behaviour of a few morons is considered justified

Edited once, last by Ron Manager (July 9, 2021 at 1:59 PM).

• To their immence credit The decent English supporters are the perfect antidote to all this Wokdom we keep being bombarded with from the Marxists.............. Joining together under their National Flag as friends with the same aim is really good to see.

The Voice of Reason

• Nobody comments when other nations are shown not sticking to rules on face coverings and social distancing but as soon as English are shown doing it every fucker is whinging about it.

• Nobody comments when other nations are shown not sticking to rules on face coverings and social distancing but as soon as English are shown doing it every fuc

Exactly, you wave a flag if you are English and you are considered as being a racist, yet any other nationality does it and they are being patriotic. :D

That's due to the scourge of Marxism and Wokery which has infected the UK. Every country has the right to fly their National Flag. Those loony left English people who hate England and its traditions, are the reason that your flag and decent English people displaying their pride in their country are being vilified.

Do something about it --- Don't let the Marxist win. ----- Doing nothing and looking the other way will solve nothing.

The Voice of Reason

• Theres a long way to get OLD BOY (The Moderator) - Italy VERY NEARLY equalized -Im playing devils aadvocaat for the result - If we win then fandabby dozy - we ve made history Ill be ecstatic

If we lose then I know our boys have done their very best in the game & done excellently to get into the final after 55 years , & got the germans out for the first time in 55 years so well leave a trail of history for the better

so i ll be happy win or lose

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!