Britney Spears - a strange and unsettling case

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It is difficult to make out what is going on in the case of Britney Spears. After a very public breakdown some years ago, her father took over her life in a conservatorship.

She is now seeking to dispose of this arrangement, which seems the right thing for her to do now, but her father is resisting and she feels trapped.

What is going on here? Is Britney still so mentally ill that she cannot deal with her own affairs or is her father a control freak who is aiming to get a cut of her fortune?

Very strange.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57839526

• Another so called celeb attention seeking by the sound of it, having to live the whole of their lives under the media spotlight is such a strain but if they didn't they wouldn't make the money they do, a life they chose by the way. 🙄

• This is a really strange one. I don't understand the legalities of it all but what I can figure out is that her father is living off his daughter and stealing her money. It's probably a similar thing to the Charlotte Church situation we had here accept her family where not directly stealing from her. Guardians of the account until the child is older enough to take care of their own finances. If you are a child earning lots of money who is responsible for that money. Children should not be exploited to begin with IMO. I really don't understand why this is such an issue with Brittany at her age now but there seams to be some kind of medical / mental illness being used as way for the father to keep control of her finances. It's sad that that she was pushed into the life she has. I remember when she was still a child and making sexually provocative video's. It's no wonder she fucked up like so many rich and famous that started out young. I'm not sure it's a life they choose when young. It's the parents and media, agencies etc that need to be held accountable for exploiting children for profit.

• At last, a potential end to this abusive piece of legislation on which both Republicans and Democrats can agree.

About time, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jul…vatorship-abuse

[EXTRACT]

Britney Spears’ fight to end her conservatorship has inspired a new bipartisan proposal in the US House of Representatives.

The Freedom and Right to Emancipate from Exploitation (Free) Act would allow a person bound by a conservatorship to petition to replace their court-appointed private conservator with a public conservator, family member or private agent without having to prove abuse.

The bill, introduced by Republican Nancy Mace and Democrat Charlie Crist, would offer state funding for case workers to oversee conservatorships. States accepting the funds would require case workers and public guardians to disclose their finances, as well as to provide annual reports on conservatorships.

“Abusive conservatorships can be an unending nightmare, and tragically we don’t know how many people are being held captive against their will under the broken guardianship system,” said Crist. “Under the Free Act, we would free Britney along with the countless numbers of seniors and persons with disabilities being abused and exploited by the broken system.”

“To see a woman like Britney Spears have her most basic human rights permanently stripped away from her under the guise of ‘protection’ should be illegal,” said Mace.

• A very sad case and one that seems could have been avoided had it been handled better.

Broken families litter the world all over and each is a tragedy in its own right. Unfortunately in this instance, the whole terrible business is being conducted in the media spotlight for all to see and chew over.

I kinda prefer to avoid these sort of topics so will offer no opinion on the grounds that it's none of my business and I don't want to be a part - even in a infinitesimally small way - of the problem by contributing to the circus.

Wish her well and say no more.

• A very sad case and one that seems could have been avoided had it been handled better.

Broken families litter the world all over and each is a tragedy in its own right. Unfortunately in this instance, the whole terrible business is being conducted in the media spotlight for all to see and chew over.

I kinda prefer to avoid these sort of topics so will offer no opinion on the grounds that it's none of my business and I don't want to be a part - even in a infinitesimally small way - of the problem by contributing to the circus.

Wish her well and say no more.

So a white woman being oppressed with all her rights taken away indefinitely doesn't bother you?

Would you be more motivated to shout from the rooftops if it were a black woman?

Oppression in all its forms needs to be called out, Jenny, not just those that suit your anti-white agenda.

• Britney Spears has always been a favourite of mine. I disapprove of her father's obsessive controlling behaviour . I know Britney had a breakdown, but that's not surprising with a father like hers. She is a good singer and a good dancer, she should be left alone to follow her own career and earn whatever she is capable of.

She doesn't need other people living the high life leeching off her considerable talent.

The Voice of Reason

• If Britney was so unstable as was claimed, how has she been able to perform in pop concerts over the last decade? The American courts have really messed up here. Even if she was unstable, it shouldn't have been just one person "caring" for her.

This reminds me a bit of the Macaulay Culkin (of Home Alone fame) saga, where the then boy's father took control of all of his money. It's always about money.

• Well, the court definitely needs to take her father out of the equation, and hopefully they will also rule on whether the conservatorship is still relevant at all in this case at this time.

She’s been a decade under this conservatorship, which surely is very extreme. I cannot see that it’s still justified, to be honest.

• This reminds me a bit of the Macaulay Culkin (of Home Alone fame) saga, where the then boy's father took control of all of his money. It's always about money.

His father would have served him better by keeping him away from Michael Jackson. :D

• Most parents liked their children going to stay with Michael Jackson and it’s appears the kids loved it too.

I doubt he was a peadophile in the real sense of the word but it certainly was wrong that a adult man spent so much time with children . I have seen him interact with children they liked him .

• Maybe he called himself the Teacher. :whistling: The same could be said for Jimmy Saville. Parents where only to happy for their kids to get on TV.

The problem is not the kids, it's the parents. The majority of parents are as thick as shit and just go along with whatever society throws at them and appears acceptable at the time. If that means they use the child to boost their own ego then they will, even it's just something to gossip over the fence to the neighbours about to make them feel like a good parent and their child is doing so well. Parents can be child abusers in a different kind of way. No child should pushed into fame whether that is some glamour competition (beauty pageant) like they have in the US or whether that is pushing them towards becoming the next superstar. Which brings me back to Michel Jackson. Why was he so fucked up. They say the abused grow up to become abusers.

• Well, Jimmy Savile was one of those people who seemed ‘nice’ if not a bit odd on the surface but unbeknown to most had a very dark side.

When he ran his ‘Jim’s Fix It’ series, children clamoured to write into him and ask for the things they wanted. Parents went along with it because they could see their kids were enchanted and it felt absolutely safe - after all, this was the BBC!

People these days are much more aware, although as you say, some are just carried away with the stardom side of things and don’t even think about the weirdos their children are encouraged to befriend.

As for Michael Jackson, you don’t get much weirder than that! I liked his music, though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!