VM to go fully FTTP by 2028

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The latest combined Q2 2021 results from broadband ISP, TV and mobile operator Virgin Media and O2 has, among other things, revealed that they plan to completely upgrade their existing Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFX) network – some 14.3 million premises – with Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband tech by the end of 2028.

Ain't competition nice? :)

BT is rapidly deploying FTTP across the country and this, I reckon, has forced VM's hands, because until now they've always banged on about continuing to upgrade to new DOSCIS versions as and when they become available, but now admit that tech has limitations. We know!

I've speculated in the media mergers thread that I reckon VM will ultimately morph into a wholesale broadband provider and the consumer bit will get hived off, but we'll see. Cable tv is going nowhere in the world of streaming, but VM has one very valuable asset, its ducts. That's where the money will be made.

• I'm sure that they'll go broadband only.

I don't know if they'll become a wholesaler, but that would be a good thing as they've shown time and time again that they just aren't suited to serving consumers in any competent or professional manner.

• They've said they want to wholesale their network and/or do joint ventures with other companies, it's just me speculating as to what happens to their consumer bit.

I think Comcast will own the UK cable network in the not too distance future...

Well, if they do, that will sort out the lack of streaming services including the absence of Peacock.

With Rupert Murdoch out of the picture, maybe there will be less resistance to a takeover by Sky/Comcast these days.

• They seem to be launching new routers now every five minutes. Perhaps its time they work on their upload speeds now...

• Well done on finding this thread OB. :thumbup: Only just noticed this story myself and was pondering where to put.

And without turning this into a mergers thread too much, it does seem that Telefonica is doubling down on its relationship with VM and I wouldn't be surprised if Liberty sell VM to them at some point in the future. And, as per my earlier comments about VM splitting into two with a wholeside (network) side and a consumer side providing services along that network, this news and the impending TalkTalk buyout, would seem to suggest that maybe this is the direction where it's all heading.

But back to the story and this news cements the establishment of a second fibre network to compete against BT's, which can only be good news.

• Well done on finding this thread OB. :thumbup: Only just noticed this story myself and was pondering where to put.

And without turning this into a mergers thread too much, it does seem that Telefonica is doubling down on its relationship with VM and I wouldn't be surprised if Liberty sell VM to them at some point in the future. And, as per my earlier comments about VM splitting into two with a wholeside (network) side and a consumer side providing services along that network, this news and the impending TalkTalk buyout, would seem to suggest that maybe this is the direction where it's all heading.

But back to the story and this news cements the establishment of a second fibre network to compete against BT's, which can only be good news.

All those poor people who might sign up before realising how atrocious Virgin are :D

Does anyone know what Telefonica customer service & business practice is like?

I've said for years that the rot is now so deep that the only way to improve things would be for Virgin to go bust and have someone take over the assets, or for Liberty to sell the company on with new management and a change of name.

• Taking over the assets is essentially what seems to be happening Richard. Liberty seems to be offloading VM to Telefonica bit by bit.

• Is there any truth in the story that VM are to buy TalkTalk ?. If so, what will happen to Talk talk customers who are in an area which has been recently included in VM's FTTP street cabling. Will they be forced to connect to VM cabling or will they be allowed to continue as they are. I've not heard any good reports about the VM service or lack of it.

The Voice of Reason

• Have a look here Mike:

Horizon
    July 17, 2022 at 2:47 PM

I imagine that VM will transition TalkTalk customers onto its own network at the first available time, but in the meantine, VM would just take over billing/customers services etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!