What's Our Purpose ?????

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Watching the Landlord of my local pub swat flies, he turned to me and asked "do flies have a purpose"? I replied, yes they break down poo etc. He asked, "what about wasps"? I explained, they pollinate flowers like bees, they just have worse tempers.

This got me thinking, what's our purpose on the planet. Other omnivores control other species by catching them with only the use of their speed and and ability to kill them with their own built in weapons. The vast majority of animals we eat are developed by us, and shouldn't really exist. The few wild creatures we catch is with use of weaponry. So, in reality this may indicate we originated from vegetarians, not carnivores or omnivores. If we were, or should be vegetarians, what is then our purpose on earth. Perhaps we should be food for other creatures, and by a freak of nature have developed brains which in turn has made us capable of avoiding such things. Of course, there are other animals at the top of their respective tree, but they don't disturb the balance of nature, and aren't attempting to destroy our planet. So the question is, other than living for our own pleasure and personal indulgence, what is our purpose on the the planet?

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• The purpose of human life is to perpetuate the species. And that's it.

That is the reason for all life on earth. Life evolved by natural processes, nothing more, nothing less. All the various species that now exist interconnect in what is known as the "environment". Flies didn't choose to be shit eaters, natural selection adapted them to be good at it, and they found they could live with it, that's all.

Humans are nothing more than very highly evolved simians that have found we're good at exploiting the environment and the earth's resources to ensure our survival. If we hadn't discovered how to control fire, we'd still be vegetarian ape like animals, at best on the brink of extinction, although much more likely, to have actually become extinct a long time ago. The only thing we now have in common with other life forms on the planet, is that we are dedicated to our own survival.

And we don't care what we destroy in order to do it.

Which includes the planet itself.

• Life evolved by natural processes, nothing more, nothing less. All the various species that now exist interconnect in what is known as the "environment". Flies didn't choose to be shit eaters, natural selection adapted them to be good at it, and they found they could live with it, that's all.

Clearly, Religious Studies isn't one of the subjects you teach, Jenny! :D

Don't take offence, we actually agree! ;)

• All life on Earth is a result of nature and natural selection. The Male And Female of any species reproduce young naturally. It's when the balance of nature is corrupted that problems arise. Humans should be intelligent enough to realise that going against nature is counter productive but the human trait of Selfishness and ME ME ME has been disasterous for this planet.

The Voice of Reason

• The purpose of human life is to perpetuate the species. And that's it.

That is the reason for all life on earth. Life evolved by natural processes, nothing more, nothing less. All the various species that now exist interconnect in what is known as the "environment". Flies didn't choose to be shit eaters, natural selection adapted them to be good at it, and they found they could live with it, that's all.

Humans are nothing more than very highly evolved simians that have found we're good at exploiting the environment and the earth's resources to ensure our survival. If we hadn't discovered how to control fire, we'd still be vegetarian ape like animals, at best on the brink of extinction, although much more likely, to have actually become extinct a long time ago. The only thing we now have in common with other life forms on the planet, is that we are dedicated to our own survival.

And we don't care what we destroy in order to do it.

Which includes the planet itself.

I agree with most of that, but to indicate we would still be savages if we remained vegetarian is a little odd. My point was that all other animals appear to serve a purpose as far as nature is concerned, but we don't.

• As for the animals there is nothing wrong with killing animals for food (including humans if it ever comes to it) just as much as there is nothing wrong with killing a carrot for food or chopping a tree down to make a house. The problem is quantity, there are far to many of us and we are tipping the balance of nature and nature knows this so is going to reduce our population numbers one way or another. The more we screw about with medical technology and other things to keep us alive longer or save newborn babies life's and try to fight nature the more nature is going to fight back unless we all suddenly turn queer and stop producing babies. For every person that has died during COVID they have saved the life of someone else who can then have the planets resources that person who died would otherwise be using up. Water, Food, Housing, Jobs, Air, and even Road space...and everything else that we use.

If nature can't reduce us enough with a virus then it will do it with fire, floods and anything else it can throw at us. If that does not work then we will get so overcrowded that we start to fight amongst ourselves and will have another war, possibly a world war. Maybe that will come when everyone that lives around the equatorial regions can no longer survive there and want to move to the far north and south of the planet. Mass migration and it's estimated between 50 and 100 years that could happen. It's reaching boiling points now and we are just starting to get little tasters of it. We have been warned.

That's all of North Africa, the Mediterranean, it may even reach as far as the Azores. After the fires the Ice caps will melt and drown the rest of us and that's the end. We have been made extinct for abusing life on Earth until the next evolution where it will all repeat over again starting from the stone age right up to where we are now in a digital age where some random archaeologist discovers a PC fossilised in stone and wonders. Now ask yourself will they make the same mistake as us as did the ancient civilisations before us. Maybe we will end up in a future civilisations bible.

Whether we are intelligent enough to take note of what nature is telling us who knows. We may just carry on regardless with only a concern for making money and new innovative products to sell with a hope that we can control the damage we have done and beat nature back only the products we make will be primarily made to make more money and not repair the damage we have created and may in fact add to the destruction. Things like electric vehicles robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Just look at it that whatever the human race does or can do is because its what nature intended, so the things humans do is because nature has given us the ability to do, its not going against what nature has intended at all the sooner people realise that the better, nature is about the survival of the fittest and evolution to solve or cause problems, if we can solve those problems its because that what nature intended and if we cant then that's also what nature intended, simples when you think about it. ;)

• Clearly, Religious Studies isn't one of the subjects you teach, Jenny! :D

Don't take offence, we actually agree! ;)

No offence taken. Actually, it's Biology and Chemistry and right now I'm suffering far more exam stress on behalf of my students now than I ever did when I was awaiting my own GCSE and A Level results.

The teaching profession really does care, you know. Nobody would do this job if they didn't. We sure as hell don't do it for the money.

I'm glad we agree on something. It is a most refreshing change.

• Just look at it that whatever the human race does or can do is because its what nature intended, so the things humans do is because nature has given us the ability to do, its not going against what nature has intended at all the sooner people realise that the better, nature is about the survival of the fittest and evolution to solve or cause problems, if we can solve those problems its because that what nature intended and if we cant then that's also what nature intended, simples when you think about it. ;)

Hmmmmm...... Perhaps you have a point, up to a point.

Nature is a nebulous concept and has a number of definitions, but I get your drift.

However, if the purpose of life is to ensure the survival of the species, and man is a highly evolved, intelligent species, why then is our species knowingly indulging in activity that will eventually destroy its own life support system, that is, the planet?

Climate change is a very real effect of human activity, and it is a very real threat to our existence.

I'm tempted to put my Green Party hat on here and pitch right into it, but I'll back off for now. I'll leave the question in my third paragraph for anybody who wants to, to sink their teeth into this one.

No. we are a freak of nature, and thus a massive mistake

• As for the animals there is nothing wrong with killing animals for food (including humans if it ever comes to it) just as much as there is nothing wrong with killing a carrot for food or chopping a tree down to make a house. The problem is quantity, there are far to many of us and we are tipping the balance of nature and nature knows this so is going to reduce our population numbers one way or another. The more we screw about with medical technology and other things to keep us alive longer or save newborn babies life's and try to fight nature the more nature is going to fight back unless we all suddenly turn queer and stop producing babies. For every person that has died during COVID they have saved the life of someone else who can then have the planets resources that person who died would otherwise be using up. Water, Food, Housing, Jobs, Air, and even Road space...and everything else that we use.

If nature can't reduce us enough with a virus then it will do it with fire, floods and anything else it can throw at us. If that does not work then we will get so overcrowded that we start to fight amongst ourselves and will have another war, possibly a world war. Maybe that will come when everyone that lives around the equatorial regions can no longer survive there and want to move to the far north and south of the planet. Mass migration and it's estimated between 50 and 100 years that could happen. It's reaching boiling points now and we are just starting to get little tasters of it. We have been warned.

That's all of North Africa, the Mediterranean, it may even reach as far as the Azores. After the fires the Ice caps will melt and drown the rest of us and that's the end. We have been made extinct for abusing life on Earth until the next evolution where it will all repeat over again starting from the stone age right up to where we are now in a digital age where some random archaeologist discovers a PC fossilised in stone and wonders. Now ask yourself will they make the same mistake as us as did the ancient civilisations before us. Maybe we will end up in a future civilisations bible.

Whether we are intelligent enough to take note of what nature is telling us who knows. We may just carry on regardless with only a concern for making money and new innovative products to sell with a hope that we can control the damage we have done and beat nature back only the products we make will be primarily made to make more money and not repair the damage we have created and may in fact add to the destruction. Things like electric vehicles robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I agree on this one. There are far too many of us, and that of course is the problem. Unfortunately no government, other than China, is prepared to face up to it. Unfortunately, even China discovered that the tree need trimming from the top, not the bottom, and thus changed their one child rule to two.

I only heard the other day that China are responsible for 28% of the worlds emission's, presently have 182 coal fired power stations, and plan to build another 185. There fossil fueled car growth is greater every year than our total amount of car ownership in the UK. Anything we do is a tiny piss in a massive ocean, if countries such as China, Russia, and the USA don't come on board.

Like I said in the thread, our existence as a specie can only be considered a negative one

• So nature can do no wrong!

Incidentally, I don’t think nature is actually a thinking being. Or are you talking about God? :/

No I'm certainly not talking about God, experience has taught me that a god is pure bunkum and only for gullible morons.

Edited once, last by Ron Manager (August 10, 2021 at 7:05 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!