French elections. Barnier wants to Frexit!

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Who would’ve thought it Michel Barnier the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator has become a Eurosceptic.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• He’s getting older. He’s turning into a Conservative!

Wisdom always comes in the end!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Better late than never...

Maybe he will be batting for the French in their Frexit negotiations with the EU?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Barnier Calls For A Referendum On Immigration

Nice try guys, but this in no way means he has become a Frexiter.

Having thrown his hat into the ring on the Conservative ticket it is not - as you seem to be gleefully assuming - to aid the cause of Frexit. Nowhere has he said that. Rather, he is offering a referendum on immigration and is using the language of "sovereignty" which proved so successful in Britain. Clever politics. Telling people what they want to hear to gain popularity.

I wonder who he could have learned that from over the course of four years negotiating with Britain over Brexit...?

Actually, I rather welcome Barnier's intervention. And perhaps......... as some on liberal forums are suggesting............. his is a political manoeuver to split the right wing vote.

Every vote for Barnier would be one less vote for Marine Le Pen.

So........... If Barnier were to be elected, what is the best that Frexiters could hope for? Well, they would get a referendum to vote for France to pass laws to "take back control" of their borders...... control that they have never actually lost.

France, like Britain pre-Brexit, already has all the laws it needs to control immigration. It's just that the current government isn't using them.

Indeed...... even in the unlikely event of Barnier being elected, and then implementing his referendum..... and then getting a winning vote.... he could then pass laws that he didn't need to win a referendum to do. And he knows it.

This is all electioneering. It's exactly what the Tories have been doing in Britain for the last five years. Creating a bogeyman to get the votes of angry people who don't understand the issue.

Unfortunately, if he was genuinely serious about closing the door on migration, there would still be a stumbling block in his way...... which has nothing to do with the EU, and he can do nothing about even if he won.

The European Court of Human Rights. Which is NOT a part of the EU. Never has been. And it isn't under German control.

All the referendums in the world don't trump the ECHR.

But he isn't telling anybody that.

• Actually, I rather welcome Barnier's intervention. And perhaps......... as some on liberal forums are suggesting............. his is a political manoeuver to split the right wing vote.

He's just going for what will win him votes and it'll probably work.

• If he wins, maybe we can get him to wangle a French exemption for a trade deal with the UK!

He’d have to keep the UK-focussed migrants though, and accept back without question those who have already crossed the channel to get here!

• Interesting. :thumbup:

Although no doubt made in jest, those things may well come up if he wins. At least we have experience negotiating with him.

• Well, we got a bespoke deal on our contribution when Mrs T was in charge, and Barnier knows how to pull the EU levers!

• He's just going for what will win him votes and it'll probably work.

I suggest "possibly" rather than "probably". Whatever, it remains to be seen. He's competing for the right wing vote with Marine Le Pen and anything that helps to take her out of the equation has to be a good thing.*

If Barnier and Le Pen go toe to toe on the same issue, the likelihood is a split vote and the most likely winner in that scenario would be Emmanuel Macron.

Are you really sure Barnier is a "Frexiter"...? Because nothing he has said has given any indication that he is contemplating taking France out of the EU. All his comments to date (that I've seen, anyway) refer solely to the issue of immigration..... which is not necessarily the same thing as Frexit.

It's Brexiters, desperate to score some points, who are drawing that conclusion.

Do you have anything to link to that indicates he would, if elected (by no means certain) offer the French people a referendum on leaving the EU, rather than just voting on the immigration issue... and please... reliable journalistic sources only. We're not interested in anything Nigel Farage has to say.

* And le Pen herself has walked away from Frexit. She gave that cause up as a bad job some years ago.

Marine le Pen Abandon's Frexit

She has shifted her stance to one of reforming the EU from within....... which is exactly what a lot of Remainers said Britain should do. Even with that though, I can't bring myself to like her. She's still as xenophobic and too far to the right for me. But if she has realised that France won't go for Frexit, that's a pretty good indicator that the entire issue is a dead duck.

• Yes, Barnier did make comments that led the media to speculate that he favoured Frexit but the Telegraph’s view that he was just posturing to ‘get attention’ and move the political discussion on.

To be honest, I am not really sure whether he favours Frexit or not, but I think our Brexit discussions and outcome may have changed his thinking.

We shall see.

• Whoever wins, Barnier or Le Pen, the result will be great for France as at last they will get rid of Macron. Frexit will happen but not soon.

Polexit will be first. Poland have high values in morality and decency and the EU forcing them to abandon those values will be the catalyst in Polexit.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!