Sky about to launch its IPTV service

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Sky's UK TV via IP Broadband Service Set to Launch This Month
    Last month, we reported that Sky (Sky Broadband), which is owned by Comcast, were gearing up to launch their long-awaited TV via broadband (instead of a satelli
    www.ispreview.co.uk

A bit like the buses, they all come along at once!

We already had the announcement that VMO2 is about to launch a IPTV service, but Sky have been planning one for ages and now announced that the launch is imminent.

Sky has already launched a full tv service over broadband in some other countries, so its been a long time coming here. The question is, if Sky do launch their full SkyQ service over broadband, how will that sit with their existing Now TV service and Peacock, when it launches in the UK? And with the rise of other streamers and the gradual decline of linear tv, is this new service past its sell by date before it even launches?

• I think the new IPTV services will be heavily focussed on the streamers, with the TV channels being the secondary function - the reverse of what it is now.

When Pluto first launched, the first screen was the Pluto EPG. Nowadays, the first screen is the on demand section.

I think that is the way it is going.

• I think the new IPTV services will be heavily focussed on the streamers, with the TV channels being the secondary function - the reverse of what it is now.

When Pluto first launched, the first screen was the Pluto EPG. Nowadays, the first screen is the on demand section.

The thing with Pluto is they were never existing linear channels, it always felt "off" that they had basically automated their on-demand offering into "channels". Pluto TV is like The Living Dead, you almost expect it to eat your braaaiiiinnsss. O 8o=O8o

• An interesting development here. It seems that Sky is looking to launch its own TVs. This will eliminate the need for Sky Q and will be totally IPTV.

If those TVs are made to a high specification, I could be persuaded….

Sky launching branded smart TVs?
    On the heels of Amazon unveiling its first branded TVs, news has emerged that Sky is also preparing to launch its own smart TV sets. The pay-TV broadcaster c
    advanced-television.com
  • An interesting development here. It seems that Sky is looking to launch its own TVs. This will eliminate the need for Sky Q and will be totally IPTV.

There will still need to be a separate box or HDMI stick of some kind?? :/

I think the new IPTV services will be heavily focussed on the streamers, with the TV channels being the secondary function - the reverse of what it is now.

I can't comment on how Sky's interface is organised now, but I would assume they would try to bring the two (linear and on demand) closer together, so you don't really know whether you are watching "tv" or on demand stuff.

• No, I have the Virgin 360 box. I prefer it to Sky Q because I can create watchlists and the on demand service is available to access without having to download it first.

But a Sky-branded TV could just tempt me, depending on what features it offered.

• What if you had to have Sky broadband too, or at least, if they made it too expensive to have the IPTV service separately?

I'm a bit miffed to be honest, because as you may recall, I only renewed my deal with VM during the summer and that lasts for 18 months now, so I'm stuck with them.

VM is still the only fast broadband supplier in my area, so I would'nt be able to switch to any bundle that Sky might offer at the moment and in case, and I couldn't afford to have both VM and a Sky IPTV service, I just don't watch much tv at the moment to justify that.

• Well, that would be one of the issues, the broadband!

I can’t see these new sets being available for a while yet, so I wouldn’t worry too much about your Virgin deal!

• It will be a while until the tv sets arrive, yes, but it looks like the IPTV service goes live next month. If I knew that in the summer, I wouldn't have renewed the vm deal.

• I have BT, but ultrafast isn't available yet in my area, so getting a IPTV service through a BT owned wire, is not doable yet.

• Roku, which Sky have a stake in last time I looked, have their system already installed in some TVs.

-----

There are numerous brands that are slapped on other manufacturer's equipment e.g. the supermarket own brand electronics. It isn't likely to be a superior product.

Personally I think it's better not to really factor it into a TV purchase decision, there's significantly more choice and flexibility if you pair a separate box and screen.

• I can see Sky's design team tweaking those for the UK, they don't really fit with their corporate style in this country. Especially the remote. I'm not suggesting anything major though.

• Sky to enter IPTV race going head-to-head with rivals | RXTV info
    Sky's IPTV puck will go head-to-head with Virgin Media's forthcoming new online based TV service.
    rxtvinfo.com

As already mentioned in the main Sky thread, Sky are finally releasing this product "properly" ie you don't have to buy their Sky Glass televisions. And about time too.

Openreach still haven't upgraded my area to ultrafast yet and my VM contract runs until November, but this will be a serious contender, not least because of the Sky's/Comcast's own streaming services, which I assume will get bundled into this product.

But the big question is now, where does this leave NOW TV?

I don't see Sky keeping two different IPTV services running, especially with Peacock launching six months ago too.

• My perception of this and Sky Glass are that they are presented as the existing Sky service, linear but via internet, whereas NowTV is boxsets front and centre. They may do many of the same things, but the prominence is difference.

Peacock is just a tile/folder amongst them containing access to content, so I don't view it as the same thing.

The added confusion is there's NowTV the App for box sets, and the no longer sold NowTV that's a (rebadged Roku) box/stick with other providers apps available too. The latter is more like this new Puck but with the Glass/Q interface.

• I just don't see it all coexisting Cheeky.

As I said (I think) on the Peacock thread some time ago, I am very surprised that Comcast went with that name. I know that Comcast don't own all the rights to the Sky name, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a product in the not too distant future that is a streamer but with IPTV channels built into it too.

• I just don't see it all coexisting Cheeky.

As I said (I think) on the Peacock thread some time ago, I am very surprised that Comcast went with that name. I know that Comcast don't own all the rights to the Sky name, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a product in the not too distant future that is a streamer but with IPTV channels built into it too.

I wasn't saying it would coexist, I can't see it either. I just said I view them differently, even though there is a lot of feature/service overlap.

There are already products like that. NowTV has streaming of Sky channels, BT's TV service is basically streaming of linear pay channels and boxsets (and about to get an upgrade that streams the FTA channels). Discovery+ is a mix.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!