CO2 low - Get your meat now!

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • So due to people panic buying fuel petrol stations are running out, which then causes people to go on a fuel hunt driving further afield to find fuel, which in turn wastes fuel so the main thing that is in short supply at the moment is common sense. :D

• I was going to create a separate thread for that, but as we've started, here's some news links to begin with:

BP starts rationing fuel & Tesco shuts forecourts amid trucker shortage
    BP started rationing petrol last night as the trucker shortage shut forecourts. Some Tesco stations were also closed off amid calls to rip up immigration laws…
    www.thescottishsun.co.uk
    Hauliers and poultry workers to get temporary visas
    Some 10,500 foreign lorry drivers and poultry workers will be able to work in the UK until Christmas Eve.
    www.bbc.co.uk

And to sum up events over the last few days, someone from the haulage industry who attended a government meeting leaked that there would be fuel shortages due to lack of lorry drivers and so yesterday there was panic buying for fuel.

My brother was low on petrol and must have it for work and to take my mum to hospital for her thrice weekly dialysis sessions and all of the local petrol stations at 7am had run out of fuel, so he had to go further afield.

Hopefully, this issue will now be resolved, but frankly this is a monumental government screw up. The pandemic stopped the testing of the HGV drivers last year, so that should've been made a priority this year and clearly it wasn't.

I strongly refute the case just made by Ron, that everyone queuing for fuel lacks common sense. Some of them, maybe, but not most and I've just given why in our case.

• Surprisingly, when we were at the supermarket yesterday there was no queues at the Fuel Pumps. In fact there are 6 pumps and only two cars using them. I used one of the remaining ones. No problems, no panic, no shortage. Long may the situation continue. :thumbup:

The Voice of Reason

• I strongly refute the case just made by Ron, that everyone queuing for fuel lacks common sense. Some of them, maybe, but not most and I've just given why in our case.

But there are people on social media driving around to the different petrol stations and when they find one that has fuel they post about it on social media even talk of buying extra fuel cans to stock up, this in turn cause other to flock to the petrol stations which have fuel and then that one runs out so they then rinse and repeats with the others, its those kind of people that are causing the shortages.

• But there are people on social media driving around to the different petrol stations and when they find one that has fuel they post about it on social media even talk of buying extra fuel cans to stock up, this in turn cause other to flock to the petrol stations which have fuel and then that one runs out so they then rinse and repeats with the others, its those kind of people that are causing the shortages.

Filling stations can easily fix the problem with people filling up extra cans of fuel.. Just make a rule that any fuel drawn must be put in the car's fuel tank and the filling of cans is forbidden. Simples !!

The Voice of Reason

• There's a few issues here. There are people that generally rely on transport and I don't mean for getting to work but horizon posted a perfect example of someone that has no other choice unless the hospital can provide transport. You can't exactly take someone like his mother on public transport.

Then there are the selfish going around stock filling. It can't be enforced even if they put caps on how much you spend. You can just do daily visits instead of once a week or whatever or use different vehicles. Jump in the motor with a mate who already has a full tank and take along some fuel cans to fill. Petrol stations are only going to note registrations and they wont keep track of how often they visit. Besides it's all money to them making sales. The only way it can be controlled is with government ration stamp kind of thing.

It made me laugh on news the other day. Some woman complaining that she is using up the fuel driving around looking for fuel stations. Here's another method visit multiple fuel stations, so getting them to put limits on drivers will only add to supply and demand and make matter worse. But here's the thing. Unless there is completely no other choice then people need to get used to not using cars and go environmentally friendly. My local Tesco's filling station has been closed for a few weeks now. Not because of shortages but they are rebuilding. I think they maybe going electric. My guess is there will more charging stations than petrol pumps. TBH I would not be suprised if this shortage is all deliberate manipulation to push the electric vehicle sales and folk will just have to get used to shorter journeys and only using the car when absolutely necessary. Getting to work is not included in that when there is public transport available. But here's the catch, the public transport system is not up to it and to expensive and who wants to sit on public transport amongst all the others.

• Those who can afford Electric cars will be really happy because they don't need to queue for fuel. What I would like to see is Electric cars being priced at the same rate as the equivalent fossil fueled model. This would encourage more people to change.

The Voice of Reason

• Before the media did the scaremongering there was no real short supply of anything and certainly not fuel at the filling stations, the media starts scaremongering and the feckless start panic buying and that's what cause the the running out of stock in the shops and at the pumps and now the supply chain is on catch up.

• Those who can afford Electric cars will be really happy because they don't need to queue for fuel. What I would like to see is Electric cars being priced at the same rate as the equivalent fossil fueled model. This would encourage more people to change.

People will be more encouraged to change if they could see a lot more charging points all around the country. Even then electric cars are not suitable for long distances, given how long it takes to charge them. That is why I favour hydrogen gas cars. However, like electric cars, they would also need to come down in price, and every garage would need to have hydrogen pumps.

• People will be more encouraged to change if they could see a lot more charging points all around the country. Even then electric cars are not suitable for long distances, given how long it takes to charge them. That is why I favour hydrogen gas cars. However, like electric cars, they would also need to come down in price, and every garage would need to have hydrogen pumps.

The advantage of electric cars is you can have a charging point installed at home, maybe hydrogen/electric hybrid cars are the way to go. :/

• The advantage of electric cars is you can have a charging point installed at home, maybe hydrogen/electric hybrid cars are the way to go. :/

Yes, that is an advantage, but no good if you travel long distances. We need to sort out the infrastructure and devise a quicker means of recharging.

• Yes, that is an advantage, but no good if you travel long distances. We need to sort out the infrastructure and devise a quicker means of recharging.

That why I suggested a hydrogen/electric hybrid, charge the electric at home before the journey and when the batteries are depleted switch to the hydrogen power which in turn will recharge the batteries, I know hydrogen powered cars produce very little if any pollution, as all hydrogen gives off when burned with oxygen in the air is water.

But they do need to bring the price down to match or lower than the price of fossil fuel vehicles to encourage people to buy as well as install more charging points and hydrogen fuel pumps around the country.

• The advantage of electric cars is you can have a charging point installed at home, maybe hydrogen/electric hybrid cars are the way to go. :/

And that will be regulated to a trickle if energy supplies run low and they want to feed more into the more costly energy stations outside the home.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!