New combined streamer for all 5 main channels

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • The five PSB terrestrial channels are about to unveil a new app that will encompass content from their streamers.

One app for all public broadcasters? - RXTV info
    The BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 could end up pooling all of their on-demand services into one app as the public broadcasters fight against global…
    rxtvinfo.com

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Ah! So, Project Kangaroo is back more than 12 years after it was first proposed by Mark Thompson who was the then boss of the BBC.

I wonder what he would think about it now, probably something along the lines of "too late guys"!

Here's a article about Project Kangaroo:

Project Kangaroo blocked by Competition Commission
    Broadcasters shocked as online TV joint venture between ITV, Channel 4 and BBC Worldwide not allowed to launch. By Mark Sweney
    www.theguardian.com

But dealing with the here and now, it it ultimately means less streamers that we have to mess around with, then that's good in my view.

• I feel ancient now || ;( :D

Feels like another lifetime. :sleeping:

Kangaroo didn't get approval on competition grounds and got reworked into what became Youview, BBC distanced themselves from that eventually because of the commercial optics, so Youview eventually became a product for select few non-Cable ISPs.

The Freeview IP Fallback that finally got the go-ahead a while back will work well with this new all-in-one since they are very similar and are basically different ways of accessing the same thing. Better to have two ways to access one set of streaming equipment than run two separate systems. More resource and cost-effective.

• Your mention of the Freeview IP thing there is interesting Cheeky, because it may signal how public service broadcasting exists in the future, if at all. Perhaps by one streaming app via IP. And perhaps by then, just one PSB.

As for Project Kangaroo, I can't remember what I said on sites like DS at the time, but I probably would've been against the idea myself. How things change, no Netflix then...

• Your mention of the Freeview IP thing there is interesting Cheeky, because it may signal how public service broadcasting exists in the future, if at all. Perhaps by one streaming app via IP. And perhaps by then, just one PSB.

As for Project Kangaroo, I can't remember what I said on sites like DS at the time, but I probably would've been against the idea myself. How things change, no Netflix then...

I'm sure I saw an article last year (probably Media Guardian) that basically was "the UK PSBs planned Netflix before Netflix, but were foiled, oh how different it could have been" as a retrospective/comment piece.

Personally my thinking these days is that it will be a IP/5G Broadcast hybrid service that will replace DTT for Freeview (but probably keep the branding). Broadcast is more efficient for certain things cost, resources and scalability-wise, the 5G Broadcast standard is meant to be the natural next step.

There were suggestions in the media a year or three back that the PSBs would launch a PSB Stick and send one out free to each household. It would basically be a Roku/NowTV/Fire Stick device but with the PSB's Streamers preinstalled and locked at the top of the menus.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!