Why no lorry drivers

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • After my career went tits upwards, I decided the only I was going to pay the mortgage is if I took a step down. In 2005 I spent £1200 and got myself a class 2 license. I was fortunate, I passed the test first time, which believe me, isn't easy. Yes, I can confirm, driving a truck is definitely a skill, and one that deserves credit. I didn't actually work for a haulage company as such, I drove an 18 ton vehicle with a built in shredder on board. Believe me, it was hard and heavy work. It's pretty fair to say that companies who employ truck drivers tend to treat them like dirt, and forget all the stories you hear about them earning a fortune, the DON'T. As far as the employers are concerned, they own you, and they own your time. Forget working the 8 hour days you are paid for, they will happily give you 12 hours work and expect you to do it, regardless of your personal situation.

The haulage industry had five years to prepare for what has now happened. They knew full well that many East Europeans would be going home, and the government warned them of this. Did they bother to train anyone up, did they heck! They are now getting what they deserve, but unfortunately it is also to the cost of the public's convenience.

• The pandemic hasn't really helped matters either, I heard that due to it, a lot of potential drivers haven't been able to take their HGV tests.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• The pandemic hasn't really helped matters either, I heard that due to it, a lot of potential drivers haven't been able to take their HGV tests.

This is true, and a situation that should never have arisen. There is also the unnecessary necessity of drivers having to take a CPC test and annual training. This is a cash cow invented by the EU that requires disposing of.

• There also the issue that many of the people who would be willing to train to become a lorry driver can't afford to pay for a license that they may not even lead to them getting employment because the employers want experience. A truck driver spoke up the other day and said that companies are not willing to take on newly qualified drivers with these new licenses as the standards have been dropped to dangerous levels to push through more 'so called' qualified drivers. Employers should pay and train for their drivers but I think they want the cheaper European workers back and this is like a protest and they have won because the they are letting them back in. It all boils down to money at the end of the day.

I totally agree about the CPC. It's the same issue with CSCS cards in the building industry.

• I heard on the radio the other day that lorry drivers were kept hanging around at warehouses, for 10 hours+ sometimes before they would start unloading. and staff wouldn’t even let them use the loo.

If people keep treating lorry drivers as if they were sub-human, we might get more people to be lorry drivers. And if the warehouses got their acts together, lorry drivers would be able to make more journeys.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• There also the issue that many of the people who would be willing to train to become a lorry driver can't afford to pay for a license that they may not even lead to them getting employment because the employers want experience. A truck driver spoke up the other day and said that companies are not willing to take on newly qualified drivers with these new licenses as the standards have been dropped to dangerous levels to push through more 'so called' qualified drivers. Employers should pay and train for their drivers but I think they want the cheaper European workers back and this is like a protest and they have won because the they are letting them back in. It all boils down to money at the end of the day.

I totally agree about the CPC. It's the same issue with CSCS cards in the building industry.

Not entirely true. Having passed an HGV test I can tell you that it is incredibly hard, and the pass rate is far lower than car tests. The main reason employers insist on experience is because of their insurance companies, but it's true few employers will touch a new driver. Believe me, East European HGV drivers are dreadful. The company I worked for employed a few, and they were a disaster. In Poland you only have to turn up the right day for your test and they give you a license.

• I heard on the radio the other day that lorry drivers were kept hanging around at warehouses, for 10 hours+ sometimes before they would start unloading. and staff wouldn’t even let them use the loo.

If people keep treating lorry drivers as if they were sub-human, we might get more people to be lorry drivers. And if the warehouses got their acts together, lorry drivers would be able to make more journeys.

Yep, driving a large lorry is a real skill, and it's one that should be respected by employers and other road users. In some cases drivers are given time slots, which is crazy because nobody can guess how the day is going to span out. As it happens I listened to the driver who rung in on the radio and said he wasn't allowed to use the toilet. In my experience this was never the case, and to be honest my customers were pretty decent in general.

• Is it true that warehouses were often unprepared to receive the delivery, leaving the driver hanging around until the lorry was unloaded? If that’s the case, then it’s one area to tighten up on to make existing lorry drivers available for more deliveries.

• Having passed an HGV test I can tell you that it is incredibly hard, and the pass rate is far lower than car tests.

Not now it's not. Have you seen all the new exceptions recently brought in to push new drivers through. Even the instructors think it's dangerous.

• Thought you would find this interesting...

Haulage comanies were addicted to cheap foreign labour - what a surprise.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Well, we have got Christmas pretty well sorted. Turkey ordered from a local farm shop, frozen roasties, Yorkshire puddings and just about everything that will keep we’ve bought or ordered from reliable sources.

I think we’ll get by. As long as things don’t get so bad that we have to collect the bird from the farmer himself and I end up with the job of murdering the turkey.

Supply chain crisis: Thousands more HGV drivers to be trained - but not before Christmas
    Ministers will expand a fast-track scheme to allow thousands more people to be trained as HGV drivers, but the trainees will not finish their courses in time…
    www.lbc.co.uk

• I'm not sure what we're doing Xmas day. Last year I and the OH were going to go up and see my sister on Boxing day but that got scuppered. I'll probably see if I can get a suitable turkey crown or small frozen turkey ahead of time as a backstop. I have quite a bit of stuff in the freezers so don't need much for the day.

Veggies don't seem to be a problem. Supermarkets already have mince pies in. :rolleyes: But they can be frozen. Sausage rolls I usually make from separates so probably only some cheeses for the evening cheeseboard. Already have some crackers and snacks as these keep.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Well, we have got Christmas pretty well sorted. Turkey ordered from a local farm shop, frozen roasties, Yorkshire puddings and just about everything that will keep we’ve bought or ordered from reliable sources.

I think we’ll get by. As long as things don’t get so bad that we have to collect the bird from the farmer himself and I end up with the job of murdering the turkey.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/sup…ined-but-not-before-chri/

I am a vegetarian, so hopefully my Christmas dinner will be more straight forward.

• I couldn't care less about Christmas I'm not a practising Christian. It's just another day on the calendar so no disruption in that sense for me and I shall spend the day as I do any other day. Saying that I might spend the day blasting out some Psy Trance and Techno just to piss the neighbours off, especially if they have the screaming sprogs over running riot. LOL It's a bit like neighbours at war sometimes and they give as good as they get so I block them out with a couple of hundred watts of amplification.

• Christmas for me is just a good old family get together. Fortunately, we all rub along all right!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!