Where will this energy crisis end?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • So you totally ignore the fact most of the electric and gas all comes down the same cable or pipes as part of the national grid or pipe network, which was the point I was making. :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• So you totally ignore the fact most of the electric and gas all comes down the same cable or pipes as part of the national grid or pipe network, which was the point I was making. :rolleyes:

WHAT! How can you miss the point by SO much.

That's like saying all the goods coming on a train must be from the same supplier.

I am the one in ten a number on a list

I am the one in ten even though I don't exist

Nobody Knows me though I'm always there

A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care

I'm the murderer and the victim the license with the gun

I'm a sad and bruised old lady in an ally in a slum

I'm a middle aged businessman with chronic heart disease

I'm another teenage suicide whose life ended at 13

• WHAT! How can you miss the point by SO much.

That's like saying all the goods coming on a train must be from the same supplier.

If making useless analogies was an Olympic sport you would win all the medals,

Have you any clue how the national grid and gas pipe network works, do you actually know what I am talking about?

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If making useless analogies was an Olympic sport you would win all the medals,

Have you any clue how the national grid and gas pipe network works, do you actually know what I am talking about?

Yes I know exactly how it works, but you apparently don't.

As for what you are talking about, I have no idea. You seem to be saying that because all electricity comes to your home down the same wires, it must all get muddled up together so yo can't know which suppliers energy you are getting.

A ridiculous idea of how it works.

How it really works, is that you decide who you want to generate your electricity and go to a supplier that uses that generator.

If everyone switched from suppliers using Gas generators then the Gas generators would cease to exist. As it is currently the amount generated by each method is controlled to an extent by the final purchaser.

• But its still all coming down the same wires and pipes in the case of gas which are all part of the same national grid of pipes and wires, hence why it so relatively easy to change the company you pay for your gas and electric, of course there are different power stations, windfarms and other methods of electrical generators, but they all essentially supply the same national grid. So in s sense you don't really know exactly where the supply is coming from at any given time.

• Just had a power cut that knocked out my whole area.

Is this a sign of things to come with rising energy prices?

We had a power cut a few weeks ago. It lasted on and off for 2 days and eventually buggered my Virgin V6 box which had to be replaced. It wasn't caused by the energy crisis it was as a result of a short in a cable in the ground which had to be repaired.

I remember the early 1970's when we had routine power cuts each week due to genuine shortages, I think there was a miners strike behind this. We had power cuts every Tuesday and Thursday in the evenings for about 6 weeks lasting 4 hours each time - happy days. Under a Labour government of course...

We had to listen to the radio through the TV set. We had Rediffusion and the radio bit kept working even with no power to fire up the TV screen. Never really understood how it worked.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yes I know exactly how it works, but you apparently don't.

As for what you are talking about, I have no idea. You seem to be saying that because all electricity comes to your home down the same wires, it must all get muddled up together so yo can't know which suppliers energy you are getting.

A ridiculous idea of how it works.

How it really works, is that you decide who you want to generate your electricity and go to a supplier that uses that generator.

If everyone switched from suppliers using Gas generators then the Gas generators would cease to exist. As it is currently the amount generated by each method is controlled to an extent by the final purchaser.

But its still all coming down the same wires and pipes in the case of gas which are all part of the same national grid of pipes and wires, hence why it so relatively easy to change the company you pay for your gas and electric, of course there are different power stations, windfarms and other methods of electrical generators, but they all essentially supply the same national grid. So in s sense you don't really know exactly where the supply is coming from at any given time.

Good discussion you two. :thumbup:

I have the same question as Ron.

I understand there are different companies that produce gas and electricity and then there are other companies that distribute that energy, but as said, the gas pipe and electrical wire going into my home has never changed and there is only one each of them, so how can I get a different supplier's energy? They can't magic their own energy into my home, or can they? :/

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Good discussion you two. :thumbup:

I have the same question as Ron.

I understand there are different companies that produce gas and electricity and then there are other companies that distribute that energy, but as said, the gas pipe and electrical wire going into my home has never changed and there is only one each of them, so how can I get a different supplier's energy? They can't magic their own energy into my home, or can they? :/

I'm glad someone actually understands how the national grid and gas pipe network works besides me, maybe its an age thing you have to be of a certain age to remember when there was only the nationalised electric and gas companies.

They were split into different regions but all essentially the same company.

But for all intents and purpose the national grid and gas pipe network still exists, the companies we now have are essentially just the companies you pay for the energy you use.

• I fully understand that if say EDF are being supplied by the Bradwell nuclear power station, a windfarm in Scotland and gas from Norway, that is the energy I am paying for. What I don't get is whether that specific energy from Bradwell, Scotland and Norway is actually getting into my home. Is it?

• Well yes if a company is claiming they invest some of the money you pay to them in those energy sources then that's what they should be doing, as for guaranteeing that the energy you are supplied with comes only from them sources, I don't think it can be due to the nature of the national grid network, which can be supplied by any of the sources that are connected to it.

• I fully understand that if say EDF are being supplied by the Bradwell nuclear power station, a windfarm in Scotland and gas from Norway, that is the energy I am paying for. What I don't get is whether that specific energy from Bradwell, Scotland and Norway is actually getting into my home. Is it?

There is no means to re-route the electricity or gas to ethical suppliers. Your energy comes from the same location regardless. You just decide to pay a tariff to a company that claims to be environmentally considerate. They purchase large volumes of gas or electricity at a fixed price from their suppliers (the suppliers who deal in environmentally considerate energy) but there is no way to get exclusively windfarm generated power to your home, it could be nuclear or gas fired or even coal on a bad day. It is all financial smoke and mirrors. Maybe the windfarm electricity should be green in colour as it flows out of your sockets and the environmentally friendly gas should smell of roses ;)

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I know that in the States, Octopus have deployed some tech which can smartly control where the electricity is sent, but I still think that's just over a network rather than being clever enough to target individual homes.

• Eleven more energy firms facing collapse with bills to soar above £2,000 a year
    More energy companies are struggling to balance their books, experts warn, as they cannot pass on the soaring cost of gas to consumers and so have no choice…
    www.mirror.co.uk

The bloodbath continues in the energy market and as I said the other, we'll be left with just a handful of companies soon, assuming the big companies can survive with these soaring prices.

• But its still all coming down the same wires and pipes in the case of gas which are all part of the same national grid of pipes and wires, hence why it so relatively easy to change the company you pay for your gas and electric, of course there are different power stations, windfarms and other methods of electrical generators, but they all essentially supply the same national grid. So in s sense you don't really know exactly where the supply is coming from at any given time.

Yes, you might pay a company guaranteeing to use only renewable energy and then get some odds bits of electric from a coal station.

:D

• Yes, you might pay a company guaranteeing to use only renewable energy and then get some odds bits of electric from a coal station.

:D

Finally the penny has dropped, and you seem to be understanding, I must remember to type slower when responding to you in future. ;) :D

• Finally the penny has dropped, and you seem to be understanding, I must remember to type slower when responding to you in future. ;) :D

I kind of understood what you were saying first time round, but my incredulity stopped me from believing you could have possibly meant something so daft.

• I kind of understood what you were saying first time round, but my incredulity stopped me from believing you could have possibly meant something so daft.

Well I'm not the only person saying it so maybe its not so daft, and it is actually the way electricity and gas are distributed, there is no sperate pipe cable or whatever network for each company there is only one, and that is a fact.

• Well I'm not the only person saying it so maybe its not so daft, and it is actually the way electricity and gas are distributed, there is no sperate pipe cable or whatever network for each company there is only one, and that is a fact.

Yes but as I explained, just because DHL deliver all your parcels does not mean they are all made by the same company.

Its possible the energy companies are lying to us, but that isn't your claim is it?

Interestingly if we believe this.

electricity.pngThen some people who thought they were buying good old gas generated energy are getting bits of renewable coming out of their wires 8|

• As I already explained there are different forms of generators , some gas, some wind, some nuclear, some solar, some whatever connected to the same national grid which is then connect to various sub stations and then to homes and whatever else, so you can never be 100% sure what you are getting at any one time regardless of what the company you pay says, all you can hope for is some of the money you pay is being invested in eco friendly power generation. :rolleyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!