Amazon stopping Visa credit payments

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Amazon to stop accepting Visa credit cards in UK
    The online giant says high Visa fees mean it won't process credit card transactions from 19 January.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Coming just before Black Friday, this is a bit like Amazon letting off a nuclear bomb, but are they right to do this?

Amazon state that Visa charge too much to process payments made using their credit cards and they're hardly the first retailer to say this, however Amazon have long held plans to launch their own payment methods and so could this just be a sneaky way to get rid of a competitor?

• Amazon are still accepting my Visa card bought something yesterday , perhaps they have reached an agreement a deal to carry on as before

They changed their minds a couple of weeks ago.

Heres the story link:

Amazon halts plan to block UK Visa credit cards amid talks
    Plans to block the cards are halted as the two sides continue to try to resolve a dispute over payment fees.
    www.bbc.co.uk

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Fuck Amazon....nobody should be using such a despicable company anyway. I haven't bought anything from Amazon since the days when they only sold books before they become the huge Internet monster. IIRC they where a UK company back then but then sold out.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Of course we don't need global companies to come here pay construction workers to build their warehouses to house goods made by workers in the UK and many countries who are paid to make them, plus their fleet of vehicles that workers build that need to be serviced by local mechanics who also need to feed and house their families.

Why should people be able to sit at home chose what they want and need at any time 24/7 and have what they need or want delivered to them, it was far better in the good old days when when you had travel miles to a shop that you could not get to during the week because it closed before you finished work,

You had to wait until a Saturday if not working then get to the small shops as quick as you could before they closed that only had a small selection of goods especially household appliances that took ages to come from the factory and be delivered, Oh how I miss those days.

I also yearn for the 60's and 70's when millions were on the dole rampant inflation and those lucky enough to be in work had to pay higher taxes to pay the nations bills and those who earned more were taxed at over 60% why they left the UK and took their money with them I really don't know

• I use companies that give good service to me as a customer. I care not who owns them, that’s a different issue.

As far as Amazon workers are concerned, well, it’s strange that Amazon have any employees at all if their conditions are that bad. Surely, the answer is to work elsewhere.

• I use companies that give good service to me as a customer. I care not who owns them, that’s a different issue.

As far as Amazon workers are concerned, well, it’s strange that Amazon have any employees at all if their conditions are that bad. Surely, the answer is to work elsewhere.

Exactly free to sell their Labour to whom them please

• I think it's all nonsense about amazon treating its employees bad, people just can't stand to see companies do well, a few years ago it was tesco getting the flax people saying they treat employees badly, when they were doing well, some people have a chip on their shoulder for anyone or any company they see doing well. 🤣

• Amazon and other companies that deliver what we need to our doors saves me and many others money and time, wife and I can sit in the comfort of our home and select what we need or want.

We no longer have to waste time and expansive fuel to drive to a shopping mall , or wait in the rain for a bus get what we want and lug it back home, sadly some people still live in the past and don't understand that any business has to make a profit in order to survive and employ people who need to earn money to survive.

Some have ranted and roared about the amount of tax Amazon and other pay into the UK's coffers , they claim they should pay more much more, which is a double edged sword tax global companies and UK based businesses too much and they either close down as not viable due to lower profits or move overseas to a country that has a lower rate of tax.

Thanks to competition between the global companies Supermarkets Amazon etc we the customer get better deals lower prices we is good for our economy and good for us we have more disposable money to pay our bills to either save or spend , taxation has to be fair all the way round or the economy takes a nosedive.

I am fed up to the back teeth when people who are rich either by being born into a rich family or have built a successful company shouting they should pay more tax , the fact is they do pay more in taxation the harder anyone works in order to earn more automatically pay more tax on their income they always have.

Amazon and other global companies do pay taxes which HMRC make sure of that the pay to comply with our taxation laws, they also pay taxation in different countries where they operate

• Whilst I was typing the above my wife was downstairs having brew after coming back from swimming with our grandson who is nearly a year old, she was on her IPad ordering some dishwasher tablets 200 of them for £35 , if she had driven to the supermarket to buy them they over £15 for a box of 40 tablets

Its a no brainer

• Whilst I was typing the above my wife was downstairs having brew after coming back from swimming with our grandson who is nearly a year old, she was on her IPad ordering some dishwasher tablets 200 of them for £35 , if she had driven to the supermarket to buy them they over £15 for a box of 40 tablets

Its a no brainer

Absolutely. If people want to boycott Amazon, it’s their loss. Poor them.

• I am quite happy to use amazon I have a prime account which means I get free delivery of a lot of stuff including groceries from Morrisons, also allows me access to prime video to watch original films and TV made by amazon as well as other TV and films and some sport if I was interested.

• Amazon provides work both full and part-time for over 1.2 million people worldwide in the UK they employ 33.600 people more jobs the better for all of us

• I use Amazon. The shopping is straightforward, deliveries on time and if necessary returns are easy. Amazon prime is beneficial.

We have an Amazon distribution center close by, who provide employment for hundreds of locals both in a full time and part time basis.

The Voice of Reason

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!