Will Article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol get triggered?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I don't think there will ever be a solution to the NI problem even if eventually they have a referendum to unite the North and South again ruled by Dublin

• I see the US are making threats again. Threats to pull out of trade deals if we upset the apple-cart in Ireland.

Ooh, I’m scared!!!

Not really…the Republicans will be in charge in a couple of years. In the meantime, Biden is so ineffective the only thing he can cook is his own goose.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• We don’t have a trade deal so losing something we never had is no great shakes. Just wait a few years for Biden and his lunatic democrats to be booted out and negotiate with the new republican government.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Some of the Americans don't seen to realise that the government's actions are to preserve the peace in NI, not ruin it, but they've always had an agenda over there.

If the Americans were so concerned about in peace in Ireland, then they would've clamped down on all that fund raising for the IRA in Boston and New York bars over the decades, but they were only interested in terrorism when it actually affected them, than anyone else.

• I see the US are making threats again. Threats to pull out of trade deals if we upset the apple-cart in Ireland.

It's the EU who are upsetting the apple cart in Ireland. They have used the good people of Ireland as pawns in their nasty spoiler tactics against the UK for freeing ourselves from the corrupt EU.

The US Democrats have always funded and supported IRA terrorism in the UK, so no changes there. Hopefully it won't be long before the Republicans regain power and restore decency and morality to the US.

• It's the EU who are upsetting the apple cart in Ireland. They have used the good people of Ireland as pawns in their nasty spoiler tactics against the UK for freeing ourselves from the corrupt EU.

The US Democrats have always funded and supported IRA terrorism in the UK, so no changes there. Hopefully it won't be long before the Republicans regain power and restore decency and morality to the US.

The Irish Americans are all from the south and support for the IRA was historically strong. This would be illegal in the UK but perfectly legal in the US and supported by the US government…apparently our greatest ally.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Brexit: PM to unveil plans to scrap parts of NI Protocol agreed with EU
    The UK wants to rewrite part of the Northern Ireland Protocol but the EU says this breaks international law.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Well, we maybe coming to a crunch point here, or not. Who knows. But I listened to Politics Live on BBC2 a few mins ago and a spokesmen for the EU was talking about this and they are not going to be flexible here.

If we decide to unilaterally rewrite a interntional agreed treaty, then that would have the effect of killing the Brexit agreement. If we don't do anything, the DUP will never get back into the NI assembly and trade between GB and NI will still be limited.

We all lauded Boris for getting Brexit done, but he didn't really. This issue still overhangs as does other major issues such as on financial services.

• I think we should take a leaf out of Russia's book and invade southern Ireland and claim it for ourselves. We could certainly do with the extra space with the increase in population. :P

• Funny Norra. We tried that and got the badge. Time to move on.

• We all lauded Boris for getting Brexit done, but he didn't really. This issue still overhangs as does other major issues such as on financial services.

We cannot move on whilst Boris is in charge. There is a fundamental lack of trust in Boris in the EU and frankly in the UK.

His detail lite, substance free, big picture politics can only get us so far. The guy who was doing the detail, Lord Frost, got fed up and walked, we need him back to finish what he started but that will require Boris to walk the plank.

• We cannot move on whilst Boris is in charge. There is a fundamental lack of trust in Boris in the EU and frankly in the UK.

His detail lite, substance free, big picture politics can only get us so far. The guy who was doing the detail, Lord Frost, got fed up and walked, we need him back to finish what he started but that will require Boris to walk the plank.

Fully agree. Can't really add anything to that.

• It matters not who is PM the EU will be as awkward as they can, they don't want a solution to the NI Border problem

True. Their true agenda, I believe, is a united Ireland. They seem to forget that a proportion of people on that island are British and want to stay British.

• If Southern Ireland suddenly found themselves with a Northern Ireland that had voted to reunite with the south they may find that to be too much to take on. It would be very expensive.

• Maybe we should stop providing Southern Ireland our military air and navel support as defence. Let some EU country do that for them. We only do it to suit ourselves as it's land close to our borders and also there's the Noth Atlantic communications cable, including internet that crosses from the West coast of S Ireland to the US. Things could get very interesting if France for example stood in on behalf of the EU to provide a QRA over S Ireland instead of us.

• It matters not who is PM the EU will be as awkward as they can, they don't want a solution to the NI Border problem

Rubbish , No doubt the EU would like to improve relations but Johnson isn’t trusted by anyone.

He’s about to rip up big chunks of his own “ oven ready deal “

I find it quite extraordinary that anyone believes anything that comes out of his mouth

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!