New homes to get car chargers

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • New homes in England to have electric car chargers by law
    Charging points will also be required in new supermarkets and workplaces in England under government plans.
    www.bbc.co.uk

All good news, but what about the rest of us?

I have a shared drive and the family car is parked in the street, so if car chargers did come in, how would that work?

I don't fancy getting sued for having wired strewn across the pavement.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• As part of the push to reduce emissions especially in big cities such as London, getting people into EV's is a good idea. In many instances installing chargers at home is not an issue wherever you have your own off road parking. How much of this new build in big cities will be the traditional house with driveway? If you live in high rise chances are you won't have a parking space that is yours so some communal charging will be needed and that will be on a non-exclusive basis so may not be available when you need it. The old terraced streets with on road parking will be problematic unless road side chargers can be installed rather like old parking meters used to line the streets.

Another question is how fast will these chargers that are required by law actually be? One of the big issues with EV is charging time and the rapid chargers use incredible high currents which are not available domestically. So these chargers are likely to be at the slower end of the scale meaning 10 or more hours to get 70% battery which will not be acceptable to many. Especially when the typical range os an EV isn't great. As most people will be buying the cheaper EV's they are really not much good for anything other than local journeys.

I think this initiative will be a good start in the process of getting people into EV but it will not help many and older properties will remain a problem for now.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yes, they don't seem to be thinking this through very well, do they? If everyone is to get an EV, we will need charging points everywhere, particularly on residential streets and in town centres, and they need to be quick chargers.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the solution is hydrogen fuel. That's where the focus should be.

• Well, as I keep saying, EVs are more trouble than they are worth.

We need a better solution. Electricity is not it.

• It kind of is the solution but how it is implemented is wrong. Magnetic power is the most powerful energy we can use and is where electricity comes from. The problem is how it is generated in such a way as to create business rather than everyone have their own magnetic generators so we have free energy that self propels itself turning the magnetic force into kinetic energy that can be stored and then utilised.

• It kind of is the solution but how it is implemented is wrong. Magnetic power is the most powerful energy we can use and is where electricity comes from. The problem is how it is generated in such a way as to create business rather than everyone have their own magnetic generators so we have free energy that self propels itself turning the magnetic force into kinetic energy that can be stored and then utilised.

EV's are one of the technologies for the now and becoming more mainstream into the future. But it should be just one of a portfolio of options including the latest variants of existing technology such as the internal combustion engine using hydrogen and petrol/diesel which seems to now be on death row just as we are learning how to make them really clean. The Euro 7 regs for internal combustion engines come into action (I believe) in 2024 and they are ridiculously stringent, designed to make car manufacturers basically give up on trying to comply and just go to EV manufacture. Of course there will be some manufacturers who will persist until they crack it because they have a product which is not price sensitive to its customers i.e. Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and the other prestige car makers that are famous for their engines as much as their design. I believe these same cartel of supercar makers have also asked for exemption from the ban on internal combustion engine cars on the basis they do not sell enough cars to make a difference even though they are already making EV's. It must be noted the ban on petrol and diesel is just a European and UK thing, the US under Biden are talking about but the vastness of the US land mass makes the travel by EV more challenging and there is a lot of resistance to the idea. It is easy to see why there are calls from some quarters for a world government with a single set of rules. What is the point of Europe and UK making these costly and far ranging changes to the way we live and travel if the majority of the world carries on as before? With calls for equality being replaced with calls for equity this does not sound very equitable.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• No, EVs are not practical. They take time to re-charge, they only last for relatively short distances and finding places away from home to re-charge is just too difficult.

Hybrid cars are worthy of consideration as they re-charge themselves, but they also use petrol, and as such no new vehicles will be permitted for sale after 2035.

Hydrogen gas cars have none of these problems, and what the government should be doing now is putting money into the research to manufacture these at a competitive cost.

As for Norra’s idea for magnetic power is concerned, I am not sure that we have the technological know-how to mass produce such vehicles in the short-term.

Whatever the eventual solution, it has to be practical.

• Funny you should mention the cars and the US. I was talking with someone today in the US who is researching buying a new vehicle and mentioned a V8. Oh the days of the lovely V8 are over here. The old Rover V8's where fantastic, the modal before the police got the new model which where pretty good also with the 3.5L V8 but didn't have the character of the older model.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!