Should babies be allowed at Westminster?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • No babies allowed in Commons, MP Stella Creasy told
    Stella Creasy learns of the rule after appearing with her three-month-old at Westminster Hall.
    www.bbc.co.uk

As a norm, I don't think children should be in a workplace, but babies need their mums and its important that they stay together in the first months of their lives. So, if a baby is well behaved (or at least as well behaved as possible) then they should be allowed.

Boris could single handedly turn parliament into a day care cenre with his brood. :)

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Absolutely not.

If the child needs its mother, then she should stay at home on maternity leave until the child is old enough to go into child care. We have incredibly generous maternity benefits and entitlements in the UK so there really is no need to take your baby to work. MP's salaries and pretty good so they should be able to afford childcare.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The trouble with taking a baby anywhere is that sooner or later it'll start yelling it's head off. Not something that would go down well in the halls of Westminster.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Yeah, they are quiet in Westminster, so babies should fit in well. ;)

If the child needs its mother, then she should stay at home on maternity leave until the child is old enough to go into child care.

I agree, but the difference in this case is that MPs make the law of the land and should be in work at all times.

• Yeah, they are quiet in Westiminster, so babies should fit in well. ;)

I agree, but the difference in this case is that MPs make the law of the land and should be in work at all times.

No.

Bringing children into the workplace sets a bad precedent. You cannot focus on the job in hand if you are distracted by something that take priority of your attention.

Working women in the workplace - yes

Mothers with babies in the workplace - absolutely not.

I take your point that PMQ's and are difficult to distinguish :)

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I don't agree with it because it's potentially dangerous to the baby's health. Apart from the fact that it's a really annoying thing to do in a parliamentary setting having a screaming baby there that needs feeding and changing and that needs to sleep in peace and quiet. Babies need to be at home with their caregivers (preferably their Mums) during the vital first months of their lives. I think they should be with their Mums for much longer than that but that has gone out of fashion.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

Maybe women need to decide between career and motherhood? It is the age old question?

We cannot have our alleged "Elite" having special conditions made for them that are not an option for everyone else. Should a female bus driver be allowed to bring her baby to work? "Sorry we are running late but I just have to do a quick nappy change and breast feed" Jesus, what would the world come to? Of course she bloody well can't and why the hell should an MP? If she wants to be a mother she should get childcare or step down and let someone who can give the level of commitment required a chance. It's no shame to be a mother but there is a limit to the concessions that should be given, this goes way over the line.

• Maybe women need to decide between career and motherhood? It is the age old question?

I was coming to that. ;)

It always used to be that men worked and women stayed at home and looked after the kids. I'm not suggesting a return to that as for one thing, women quite rightly want to earn their own money. But many workplaces are left in difficulties with women taking maternity leave and wonder whether their female employees will have more children causing further disruption.

There must be a half way house between working mothers and workplaces not getting disupted and unlike most workplaces, Westminter already does have a solution, the creche.

I don't agree with it because it's potentially dangerous to the baby's health. Apart from the fact that it's a really annoying thing to do in a parliamentary setting having a screaming baby there that needs feeding and changing and that needs to sleep in peace and quiet. Babies need to be at home with their caregivers (preferably their Mums) during the vital first months of their lives. I think they should be with their Mums for much longer than that but that has gone out of fashion.

I don't think the situation ever got resolved LW with what to do with female MPs who've just had a baby and need to vote in the House. I'm pretty sure in the 21st century with fast broadband and zoom, a solution could be found so that the babies stay with their mums in those critical months, but the female MPs can still cast their votes and have their voices heard.

We've already done it during the pandemic with remote working, so I don't see why special circumstances can't be allowed for MPs who have just become mothers. I think all that's needed is a little flexibility here.

Then they should work from home or have childcare provided on the premises, and that's the accommodation that should be made.

Where else would they allow babies to be taken into the workplace? Ludicrous idea.

• As I said OB, Westminster does have a creche, but there maybe circumstances where the female MPs need to be with their babies and need to keep following proceedings in the House, but I'm not video conferencing facilities can be set up for them.

• But many workplaces are left in difficulties with women taking maternity leave and wonder whether their female employees will have more children causing further disruption.

It's not at all uncommon for a woman to go off on maternity leave and them come back to work after maxing out their entitlement and then announce they are pregnant again and the go off within a few months to repeat the cycle. They can do this several times and I have seen this in the past. Then once they have knocked out all the kids they want they come back for the final time after once again maxing out their entitlement and then resign to be a stay at home mum. This is all legal but it is taking the piss.

• As I said OB, Westminster does have a creche, but there maybe circumstances where the female MPs need to be with their babies and need to keep following proceedings in the House, but I'm not video conferencing facilities can be set up for them.

If these women use the crèche and want to visit their babies from time to time then let them visit in the crèche. Not in the House of Commons.

• It's not at all uncommon for a woman to go off on maternity leave and them come back to work after maxing out their entitlement and then announce they are pregnant again and the go off within a few months to repeat the cycle. They can do this several times and I have seen this in the past. Then once they have knocked out all the kids they want they come back for the final time after once again maxing out their entitlement and then resign to be a stay at home mum. This is all legal but it is taking the piss.

It does take two people to do the "knocking out" bit.

The whole reason this situation has arisen is because the female MPs can't take maternity leave. They're not employed by anyone.

• If these women use the crèche and want to visit their babies from time to time then let them visit in the crèche. Not in the House of Commons.

I don't know if you have heard Stella Creasy speak today OB, but what she has said is that she already has one kid in the creche, but you can't breast feed a tiny baby if she is in one place and the baby is in another.

Babies must be with their mothers, I don't think many would disagree with that, it's just how to accomate that and being a MP too.

• Well, they should not be breast feeding in the House, surrounded by all her colleagues and on national TV. She should simply go to the crèche to do it. I don’t see what the problem is. She can listen to the proceedings of the House on her mobile phone.

• I don't know the age of the baby now, but with my young nephew (who just passed his first year a few months ago BTW :) ) was feeding all the time.

Perhaps she needs to use a pump and if she needs to be in the Commons, let someone else feed him with her milk.

• Give it few months and the kid will be placed with a live in nanny and forgotten about, its only an issue now because it suits her agenda to make it an issue.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!