Law to change on murdered police and nurses

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • PC Andrew Harper's widow wins bid to change law
    Ministers back Lissie Harper's campaign to jail those who kill on-duty police and 999 workers for life.
    www.bbc.co.uk

I hate discrimination in all its forms and what I hate the most is paralell law, where there is one law applied to one group of people and not another.

Why should murdered police and nurses be treated any differently in law to any other murder victim?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I think this aligns with other countries where the punishment for Cop Killers is much harsher i.e. the USA.

I think the basis of this is that you don't accidentally kill a cop, they are servants of the state that either help you or arrest you for a crime. If you resist arrest and in doing so kill the policemen even unintentionally as I believe was the case with PC Harper who was dragged behind the speeding car because his foot got entangled in a trailing rope you should not have been trying to evade capture. The presumption is that Police do not have to use force because you should respect the uniform and go quietly. Obviously this isn't going to happen in this day and age but that is still the working assumption. And if people did they would end up in a lot less trouble and PC Harper would still be alive and those that unintentionally killed him would not be doing long prison sentences. They would probably be out now as they had "only" stolen a quad bike and theft doesn't seem to score very high these days. Instead they opted to evade capture and killed a Policeman and that is a lot of lives ruined and for what?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I have mixed feelings about this. I certainly do believe that sentences should be much harsher for murder, but they shouldn't vary according to the person you murder. It should be the same - every life is precious and the derisory sentences handed out at present do not reflect this.

I have concerns also that if you kill an emergency worker accidentally or without the intention to kill them (manslaughter) the sentence will be the same. That can't be right.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Murder is murder, no matter how the Tricky Dicky defence council dresses it up. I would like to see a reintroduction of the death penalty as an option available to the Judges when sentencing. That way, the deliberate murder of emergency service personnel would earn the death penalty and other murders would mean life imprisonment so long as Life means a Lifetime behind bars.

• You only got to look at the pictures of the shits who killed "the fed" as they no doubt would have called him and the fact they killed him will be a badge of honour in their eyes all part of their tough "gangsta" image "in-it".

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If you resist arrest and in doing so kill the policemen even unintentionally as I believe was the case with PC Harper who was dragged behind the speeding car because his foot got entangled in a trailing rope you should not have been trying to evade capture.

I wonder how far they dragged him before they noticed, I think that would determine whether they actually intended to kill him or not. :/

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I believe it was at least half a mile

Him getting tangled in the ropes or whatever was the accident, them dragging him for half a mile was not, they should have been tried for murder not manslaughter based on that.

• We have laws in place for this already and they simply need to be enforced. More hot air from the gov to win them some votes. Whether you murder a pig, and lets face it some of them are, or whether you murder anyone else then murder is murder no matter what. What happens when the pigs in the force start to abuse their powers and incite an attack on them. It's already supposed to be the crime with the most harshest sentence and the only crime that comes above that is treason which we used to hang people for. The problem we have here is that life does not mean life. 12 years is a life sentence IIRC but then it does have to be proven as murder with intent and not manslaughter.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!