Does modern advertising work.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Why else would you note adverts by ethnicity

To be fair that's exactly the point being made and it can hardly go unnoticed.

There seems to be another fad at the moment. Getting rid of the old and replacing with kids just out of school. I flicked the channel the other day and there was one of those ambulance 999 emergency programmes on and the so called paramedics looked like they had just fallen out of school. FFS I wouldn't want them treating me and would want someone with bit more experience thank you very much. Just because you have passed some exams means shit to me. I want experience. I would have to refuse treatment from those kids and would die if needs be just to make a point.

• To be fair that's exactly the point being made and it can hardly go unnoticed.

No. The difference is the reasons you espouse for why they do it.

I say its to appeal to targeted customers as everyone like to see themselves. You say its to tick some woke pc boxes.

• I wish you could stop being so obtuse. You claim to be knowledgeable in this area but are then acting ignorant on here.

I'm not sure what other comment I could make in answer to this

For you I imagine it would be. Do you think there may possibly be alternative reasons?

which is itself as obtuse as you can get.

• I'm not sure what other comment I could make in answer to this

For you I imagine it would be. Do you think there may possibly be alternative reasons?

which is itself as obtuse as you can get.

The point I was raising earlier was that there are too many black people in television/advertising/media in proportion to the population. This is a well documented and frequently discussed issue. Without any difficulty whatsoever I can Google articles going back to 2015 on this when it was first thought there was an imbalance which needed investigation.

As you know I am a data driven individual so here are the numbers, easily verified:

All figures relate to UK

% white population = 87%

% BAME (I know that term is outdated but it’s easier to say that) = 13%

% of BAME that are black = 3%

I really thought the black population was bigger than that but apparently not.

% front of camera jobs taken by black people (figures vary depending on where you look) but between 22% & 26% in 2020.

I would say from what I have seen that seems about right.

Remember we are talking just black not other minorities. That’s just 3% of the population have now locked in essentially 25% of front of camera jobs. But still demands for great equality and representation continue and with weak liberal types running media or even worse advocates for this kind of thing and that figure is only going one way.

So you have 97% of the population (whites plus non black BAME) competing for 75% of front of camera jobs and the other 3% of the population fighting over the other 25%.

Do you think that is OK?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• % white population = 87%

% BAME (I know that term is outdated but it’s easier to say that) = 13%

% of BAME that are black = 3%

I really thought the black population was bigger than that but apparently not.

My first question would have to be, if 13% are bame but only 3% are black, who are the other 10%

% front of camera jobs taken by black people (figures vary depending on where you look) but between 22% & 26% in 2020.

I'm not seeing that myself, can you link that data. It feels like its being distorted by phraseology to me.

Remember we are talking just black not other minorities. That’s just 3% of the population have now locked in essentially 25% of front of camera jobs. But still demands for great equality and representation continue and with weak liberal types running media or even worse advocates for this kind of thing and that figure is only going one way.

As I say, I don't see it. Even the PC BBC don't have anywhere near the numbers you state. I must admit I don't watch that many adverts, so if you are referring only to those you may be right.

So you have 97% of the population (whites plus non black BAME) competing for 75% of front of camera jobs and the other 3% of the population fighting over the other 25%.

Do you think that is OK?

I'm not bothered either way. I have no desire to define people by their colour so I have no time for the indignant black folk who claim to represent black people. I have the same disdain for those opposite you who wish to see issues where there are none.

• Modern advertising only works on the intellectually deficient. Decent intelligent people can easily see through the attempted manipulation and exaggerated half truths which is rife among those in the advertising business.

The Voice of Reason

• How about the more subtle forms of advertising in the form of YouTube influencers and shill's on forums prompting products. This is why companies have things like the Panasonic club where users can get discounts on products when they give good feedback or push a thread in favour of the product when someone complains. Advertising has moved on a fair bit from the old style transparent advertising. The AV world is one of the worst for this and manipulation is blatant to me on some forums and online magazines. Another one is the feedback comments on places like Amazon, eBay etc. Advertising by manipulation and creating a false sense of belief to sell a product. Then we have the use of product placement.

Pricks like Philip Schofield and bitches like Lorraine Kelly only do adverts to tax evade. They are no longer classed as a presenter then and can be classed as an actor who pay less tax. Same with that football muppet and walkers crisps. Even that is a subtle form of advertising. A subtle form of self advertising alongside the product. Or how about using charity to advertise yourself. How many people fool for that. It's like the old magic trick of using a distraction technique same tool as many con's will use.

• Well, if people want to watch that stuff, Norra, let them. As long as we have a choice, who cares? I don’t watch any of that and I don’t feel I’m losing out on anything.

The main threat is fake news - news deliberately designed to mislead. The authors of such falsifications should be guilty of a criminal offence because they are misleading people on what is happening in the real world, and that undermines democracy.

• Modern advertising only works on the intellectually deficient. Decent intelligent people can easily see through the attempted manipulation and exaggerated half truths which is rife among those in the advertising business.

Yeah sure.

• How about the more subtle forms of advertising in the form of YouTube influencers and shill's on forums prompting products. This is why companies have things like the Panasonic club where users can get discounts on products when they give good feedback or push a thread in favour of the product when someone complains. Advertising has moved on a fair bit from the old style transparent advertising. The AV world is one of the worst for this and manipulation is blatant to me on some forums and online magazines. Another one is the feedback comments on places like Amazon, eBay etc. Advertising by manipulation and creating a false sense of belief to sell a product. Then we have the use of product placement.

Oh yes!

• I briefly mentioned this in the Brexit thread....Pokémon GO, another form of modern day adverting and marketing products. Who remembers all those folk wandering around with thier face in their mobile phone collecting Pokémons from various stores and places in the real world. Google where selling advertising space. They would place Pokémons in purchased advertising space. They could then direct users into those stores where there was a good chance they would purchase something. They have the profile of each user from privacy invasive data collection and fingerprinting so know each users character, what you like, your previous purchases, hobbies and interests etc. They then directed users into places where they where most likely to spend their money via the game. They could could even direct a bunch of players into a coffee shop where they all congregate then start chatting about the game and while they are there purchase a coffee. Players completely oblivious to how they where being controlled and manipulated.

• I briefly mentioned this in the Brexit thread....Pokémon GO, another form of modern day adverting and marketing products. Who remembers all those folk wandering around with thier face in their mobile phone collecting Pokémons from various stores and places in the real world. Google where selling advertising space. They would place Pokémons in purchased advertising space. They could then direct users into those stores where there was a good chance they would purchase something. They have the profile of each user from privacy invasive data collection and fingerprinting so know each users character, what you like, your previous purchases, hobbies and interests etc. They then directed users into places where they where most likely to spend their money via the game. They could could even direct a bunch of players into a coffee shop where they all congregate then start chatting about the game and while they are there purchase a coffee. Players completely oblivious to how they where being controlled and manipulated.

I agree we are manipulated, twas always so. I would argue its far less dangerous that people imagine. No one wants to know if you are genetically susceptible to this or that so they can avoid giving you life insurance. Its far to random for the work involved. Far better to gather bigger statistics.

• Modern advertising has to include gay men, lesbians, Asian people, black people, and disabled people. Somehow they do not have to include Oriental people yet, but watch this space

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• Modern advertising has to include gay men, lesbians, Asian people, black people, and disabled people. Somehow they do not have to include Oriental people yet, but watch this space

No Inuit's yet either, perhaps they don't buy much.

• One interesting thing we have found over the 16 years I've been running my company is how the messaging has changed. People became SO wary of being conned that cons became counter productive.

By example.

Subscriptions that offer 3 months free usage and then sign you up automatically and start taking money off your credit card are now less successful (Make less money) than ones that offer a free month and then offer you the choice to join.

Adverts that say in big writing (THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE X or Y) are more successful than ones that say nothing.

I guess the public were wiser than the cheats thought.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!