When will Omicron be just a cold.

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • This is more a political question than a scientific one.

Omicron is much milder than Delta and although the scientists are still waiting for data to prove it beyond any doubt WE already know that's the case.

Question is how does the government change the message from Covid DEADLY to Covid Common cold.

My desperate hope is they do it quickly and take the flack, but I fear they will hide behind "following the science" by which they mean cowering behind the most timid of them.

What and when do you think will be the first message to stop fearing Covid and return to real normal?

I am the one in ten a number on a list

I am the one in ten even though I don't exist

Nobody Knows me though I'm always there

A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care

I'm the murderer and the victim the license with the gun

I'm a sad and bruised old lady in an ally in a slum

I'm a middle aged businessman with chronic heart disease

I'm another teenage suicide whose life ended at 13

• Omicron is milder yes, but still devasting. So in answer to the OP, Omicron will not be treated like a cold, because it isn't. Perhaps the next variant will be milder still and then perhaps it could be seen as a cold, but not Omicron.

As for when the government message changes, that happens when hospital wards are not filled up with covid patients.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Omicron is milder yes, but still devasting. So in answer to the OP, Omicron will not be treated like a cold, because it isn't. Perhaps the next variant will be milder still and then perhaps it could be seen as a cold, but not Omicron.

As for when the government message changes, that happens when hospital wards are not filled up with covid patients.

Do you have any links that support this view Horizon? Pretty much every scientific journal I have read states that the virus has traded the protein spike that enabled it to infect bronchioles with one that evades the immune system but means it can only effect the upper respiratory system. I.E its joined the existing 107 viruses that we call a cold.

As for the hospitals filling up, if that were the case we would be seeing it by now, the delay time between infection and hospitalisation has passed. Omicron was prevalent by the first week of December. Now 4 weeks later we still see no sign of the sort of numbers being described in the worse case scenarios.

Indeed London the epicentre of this outbreak has 190,000 cases per day and only 12,000 patients in hospital with Covid of which over half are Delta variant. Further many with Omicron (50 to 70% is the estimate) entered hospital for a variety of other reasons and tested positive in routine tests.

• I think the crunch will be when we can be satisfied that doubly vaccinated and boosted over-60-year-olds are not flooding hospitals with new admissions.

• Do you have any links that support this view Horizon?

No, just personal experience over the last week or so.

Don't forget that the numbers of hospital staff off work with covid or suspected covid is very high and having a massive impact, even if the patient numbers are lower.

There is a difference between what the figures say, ie the number of people ill on covid wards and the reality. Although the numbers on covid specific wards are down, the effects on other wards is still high and at some hospitals, at capacity.

• I think the crunch will be when we can be satisfied that doubly vaccinated and boosted over-60-year-olds are not flooding hospitals with new admissions.

Yes, the weird idea that Omicron is working its way up the age groups like the vaccine roll out in reverse.

• No, just personal experience over the last week or so.

??

Don't forget that the numbers of hospital staff off work with covid or suspected covid is very high and having a massive impact, even if the patient numbers are lower.

Despite the BBC's hints. 2.5 to 3% of hospital staff are currently off due to testing positive for Covid. Of course that number would fall dramatically in the event they stop making people isolate with Covid (I.E return to normal)

There is a difference between what the figures say, ie the number of people ill on covid wards and the reality. Although the numbers on covid specific wards are down, the effects on other wards is still high and at some hospitals, at capacity.

Yes, but that is a hangover of the last 2 years. It has nothing to do with how dangerous Omicron is.

• And just to continue, although overall death numbers are not rising sharply, as before the severely ill would essentially have had total systemic organ failure, omicron is still damaging parts of the body, just not necessarily all at once now. An improvement yes, but not if your one of the ones with a damaged heart, liver, kidney etc due to omicron.

So, it's not at the stage of a cold yet.

• ??

We attend dialysis three times a week and so are directly seeing the impact of omicron. Our hospital went critical about three weeks ago now.

• Despite the BBC's hints. 2.5 to 3% of hospital staff are currently off due to testing positive for Covid. Of course that number would fall dramatically in the event they stop making people isolate with Covid (I.E return to normal)

The figures are not giving an accurate picture.

The numbers are far higher, but what is happening is staff are able to return to work sooner. So, it just depends how many staff in what wards at what time, impacts what services.

• Yes, but that is a hangover of the last 2 years. It has nothing to do with how dangerous Omicron is.

Nothing to do with the hangover.

The overall numbers were low during the summer, but have spiked up again. But crucially, deaths are not rising sharply, so that is very good news.

We've been offered the latest treatment (pill) if anyone in my household catches covid and that treatment only became available a few weeks ago and is preventing deaths.

• I think it will extend further than COVID cases in hospital and they will use the back log of operations and /or understaffing which they will add to with compulsory Vax for workers and keep things going for longer. It's more about political and behavioural manipulation. I'm surprised the bank of England hasn't moved to exterminating the printing of notes yet. They want everyone chipped and tracked via smart phones, so passports will be on the cards also. Isn't the 1918 flu still out there in the wild or did it move onto non human animals only in the form of H1N1 bird flu.

• And just to continue, although overall death numbers are not rising sharply, as before the severely ill would essentially have had total systemic organ failure, omicron is still damaging parts of the body, just not necessarily all at once now. An improvement yes, but not if your one of the ones with a damaged heart, liver, kidney etc due to omicron.

Have you any evidence to support this claim. While I have seen plenty of evidence that those who were hospitalised with severe Delta covid infections can have long term issues. That autopsies of those who died of Covid found the virus in almost every organ including the brain. I have seen no evidence at all that minor infections show these results.

Further you could make the same claim for any of the cold viruses where in rare events the virus can infect other organs causing chronic problems.

We attend dialysis three times a week and so are directly seeing the impact of omicron. Our hospital went critical about three weeks ago now.

How many omicron cases does it have?

The figures are not giving an accurate picture.

The numbers are far higher,

I'm sorry, but the figures are the figures, so the numbers are not far higher.

but what is happening is staff are able to return to work sooner. So, it just depends how many staff in what wards at what time, impacts what services.

Yes the ones that are off work because of Covid (The 3%) Yes it does depend to an extent who is off in what department, I am very aware of how a hospital works and many of my family work in the NHS. They are far more flexible than you imagine, so unless you are now claiming an extraordinary number from a certain skill set are making up the numbers then you are mistaken.

Interestingly one of the really stupid strains on hospitals is the unnecessary isolation of pre Covid patients. My daughter in law is a ward sister on NCCU (special baby care) They have two babies whose mothers tested positive, both babies have tested negative twice now but are still in single rooms with one to one nursing. The nurses in full PPE are not allowed to help on the rest of the ward, leaving an already busy ward of 6 nurses, down to 4.

• Long COVID is the unspoken about but people get long term illnesses from various things including the quality of air we breath. People live and people die on a daily basis....'fact' and it makes no difference whether COVID or some other disease is about or not. If one don't get you then another will eventually. Were not invisible and every day we live is a day closer to death. Were all dying.

• I do my best. I shall try not to be so uplifting next time. ^^

Maybe you will better about advancement in tech and technology instead...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stick this in the governments hands and who knows what they will use it for, especially during election times. Trusted source I think not.

I am bot. Please do not reply to me. You are the only human left on this forum. All the rest of us are bots.

• I have just been isolating because of Omicron. You are absolutely right, it is no more than a cold, in fact, I have had far worse colds. All the time I was locked in I was thinking the same. We don't isolate or close down an entire country (Wales) because of colds

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!