The future of TV

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Freely Interface: In pictures > RXTV info
    Ahead of the launch of Freeview and Freesat replacement service Freely this spring, the platform's operator Everyone TV has unveiled more details of what the…
    rxtvinfo.com
    Freeview replacement Freely unveils more launch details and new interface > RXTV info
    The streaming service that will ultimately replace Freeview and Freesat will launch ahead of this summer's big sports events with brand new features and an…
    rxtvinfo.com

Interesting development this is - much better than Freeview and a good move towards the age of streaming only.

• https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/freely-interface-in-pictures/

https://rxtvinfo.com/2024/freely-in…tails-unveiled/

Interesting development this is - much better than Freeview and a good move towards the age of streaming only.

Slightly confused OB because the links suggest that Freeview and Freesat are being replaced but they are not.

Are Freesat boxes being discontinued?
    NO!!!!! Freesat is strong and has no plans to stop or close. Hopefully that's cleared that up. Now I will explain why people have been thinking this for the…
    freesatspares.co.uk

Is this just a new version of the freeview/sat streaming option?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Yes, you are right. But that relates to the guide, not the box itself.

So the Freesat built into my TV will continue to receive transmissions - I only have it as a back up for when Virgin goes down (which is never in my experience).

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• So the Freesat built into my TV will continue to receive transmissions - I only have it as a back up for when Virgin goes down (which is never in my experience).

Yes, Freesat will survive because even if (as I predict) the TV channels disappear in the 2030s (unless the government intervenes), content will still be accessed through the IP system.

It has been widely assumed that Freeview will disappear when the TV channels are closed down, but this is not necessarily going to be the case. If you receive your Freeview signal through your ariel, you will no longer be able to receive a signal when the TV channels go, but Freeview boxes connected to IP should still work.

This article explains.

Freeview And Freesat’s Big Shift: A New TV Era Is Coming | Cord Busters
    A major shift in Freeview and Freesat is in the works, paving the way for the next generation of free TV in the UK. Here’s everything you need to know
    www.cordbusters.co.uk
  • The campaign to extend broadcast TV beyond the mid 2050s continues…

Government urged to protect Traditional TV
    5.5 million households in the UK will struggle to watch their favourite TV shows unless Traditional TV is protected to 2040 and beyond, campaigners are warning.
    advanced-television.com

The problem is, there will always be a rump of people who do not take up broadband, and this cannot be delayed forever.

The government needs to come up with a support package for poor and vulnerable groups.

• Perhaps a support package which pays for a minium broadband speed and a means (firestick etc) to access streaming services??

An online only world, is not quite the same as just plugging in a tv aerial, is it?

• Yes, I have been thinking along similar lines.

As far as online only problems for the elderly and others who can’t work anything complex, I’m sure that it can’t be that hard to set up something for them that is easy to access. With Freely, perhaps just have the free streamers showing on the screen when they first access it, click on it and there’s a schedule of programmes just running on it (taken from on demand) so that no further action is required for those who just want to watch anything thrown at them.

For the more able you could have an option to press a button to go on to the next programme, another to mark the series being watched to be saved to come back to next time you switch on, and another button to check out the menu of the streamer just as we do now.

They could make it very simple if they tried.

• That article talks about rivals to freely, but technically, there will be no rivals. Of course, the likes of Pluto and Freevee are free to view, but are not the same thing. There will be no way to watch BBC1,2,ITV,4,5 etc all together, unless on Freely. A free way, that is.

They could make it very simple if they tried.

Yes, they could and I hope they do. Good suggestions there, by the way.:thumbup:

• The last New TV I bought was some 25 years ago. I always buy a good second-hand one or accept a gift from family or friends.

My current TV was given to me by my daughter. It makes good sense - to me.

8| All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered: the point is to discover them. (Galileo)

IF YOU STAND FOR NOTHING - YOU FALL FOR EVERYTHING.

• Interesting that it's mainly aimed at gaming with only one channel getting the Low Latency upgrade for streaming. As it would require a significant upgrade to the servers and bandwidth at their end I'm not surprised.

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• Would love to know how they're doing it

Of course what this really communicates is that streaming is not live TV and it IS a problem for sports broadcasts.

The staff here send me bizarre messages I'm barred from replying to and now I'm blocked from starting new conversations. icon_rolleyes.gif

This place could have been good but 'could' is so last tense. I'll be back, maybe but no one hold their breath.

• Would love to know how they're doing it

Of course what this really communicates is that streaming is not live TV and it IS a problem for sports broadcasts.

I don't think it really a problem in most circumstances.

The time when you notice it the most is during a world cup when England are playing and the whole country falls silent. I like to go out in my garden a times like this because it's so quiet it is uncanny. When there's a goal you can hear the cheers going up around the place and there are some quite big delays between the different groups as their live coverage is not in time with somebody else's. The quickest was the old analogue transmissions (now defunct) but I have noticed that Sky and Freeview are not in sync and Virgin has its own latency which varies significantly.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!