Milk Sniff Test

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • It supposed to encourage less waste. I interpret it as less waste and more profit for supermarkets. A customer picks up milk and takes it home. Sniffs it and discovers it's off. Then tips it down the sink and has to buy another.

‘Use the sniff test’: Morrisons to scrap use by dates from milk packaging
    Supermarket hopes to stop hundreds of millions of pints being wasted as charities call for other retailers to remove date labels
    www.theguardian.com

So if there are no dates how do the supermarket staff know which milk to rotate on the shelves so they can sell off the oldest first. Maybe as a customers we should start opening them up in the supermarket and sniffing before putting it in the trolley.

• Indeed, what a good idea in these covid times..... :rolleyes: I guess that's what we meant to do and open them.

I won't ever go into a Morrisons again, if they start this.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The idea is that the ‘Use by’ date becomes a ‘Best before’ date, which gives customers the choice.

• I thought there where legal obligations to put dates on food products. I wonder if there a is grey area here they are exploiting. Maybe it only applies to use by dates. It's bad enough with the increase in food that's on the edge of going off with home deliveries. Home delivery equals the supermarket getting rid of old stock much of it is returns where the customer can be bothered to send stuff back and instead of getting put back on the shelf it gets sent out on the next home delivery. This milk labelling is only going to make matters worse and add to the wastage. And if they do get away with it how long before all the other supermarkets see the business opportunity and follow.

They are really sly the supermarkets and I was thinking about this the other day. I had a plastic bottle of runny honey and what happens is as it sits the honey separates in the bottle and goes rock hard. This involve either cutting open the bottle to scrape it out or boil the kettle which wastes electric and sit the bottle in boiling water or just throwing it out and buying another. Now take for example if one supermarket sells a hundred bottles per week which is easily done and then multiply that across all the stores how many extra bottles of honey do they sell. Then there's the plastic wastage. If I squeeze the honey out into a glass jar this is not a problem and glass is so much easier to melt down and recycle.

Everywhere I turn these days it seems like someone is trying to rip us off as if it wasn't bad enough with the extra packaging with half full product. What happened to the days of customer service and good old honest business practices.

• The idea is that the ‘Use by’ date becomes a ‘Best before’ date, which gives customers the choice.

Exactly they are not removing the dates from milk completely just changing the wording, so its a bit of a non story, they are expecting people to use their common-sense and own judgment, which I can see is a non starter for some people. :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

Yes. I've just read the story properly now on the BBC, rather than just going by the headline. Always a dangerous thing.

I always use my milk past the use by dates, as it's perfectly fine and in the case of skimmed milk, can last quite a bit longer.

So, I do sniff after all! :)

• People have been doing it for years they sniff a food product or in this case milk to ascertain whether its still ok to use, its only when they introduced the "use by dates" that food waste went up as people no longer rely on their own common sense and instincts they just look at the date and if its past the date they dump it regardless, some people need to be spoon fed rather than think for themselves.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• This is a storm in a teacup. Sensible people for generations have relied on their experience by smelling and examining food and drink before using it. Only people of limited intellect need somebody else to tell them that they shouldn't use the food.

A bit of personal responsibility is called for.

• I always give the bottle a sniff when I open lid after pulling it out of the fridge It's just habit. In fact I do it with most foods as it comes naturally. I don't always stick my nose down to the product as smells can often be smelt without making it obvious. I'm terrible with bread. the slightest smell of it being off and is no good for a sarnie for me so ends up as bread pudding or something. I think bread goes off quicker than it did before the days of all the preservatives they put into it now. I think the preservatives benefit the supermarkets more and allow them to keep it longer for storage /stocks and transportation times around the country. By the time it gets to the customer it does not have any benefits and I actually think if anything once gets passed a certain point it accelerates the rate of time before it starts to smell mouldy. Where I have issues is where supermarkets sell products that don't last irrelative to what the date is on it. I used to be able to do a weekly shop and food would last easily all week before it started to go off. Fresh produce in particular whether that's milk, fruit bread etc. Now I find that food starts to turn mid week.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!