BEING OFFENDED

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • We are in financial trouble like every other country in the world. We had a pandemic, which generally speaking was handled quite well. Of course, some of us wouldn't have locked down, whilst others would still have us locked down. He had to make a sensible balance. The PPE was incredibly difficult to get hold of, and again, every country had similar issues. His big decisions were well made, it's a petty he got the smaller ones wrong. At the end of the dauy, just imagine the mess if Labour had been in charge

• The Commons Enquiry into how the pandemic was handled doesn't quite square with this oft-trumpeted shtick that the Tories handled the pandemic well. Yes, it is a given that the whole world struggled with their response and mistakes were made everywhere. Nobody came out of it with a spotless record. But did Britain get it "right". The Commons Enquiry, in their 151 page "Coronavirus: Lessons Learned To Date" report that (before you dismiss it out of hand) was led by two former Conservative Party ministers, thinks not.

The enquiry was not a "witch hunt" by "lefties" (before you say it), this is Tories reporting on Tories. I would love to put on here a link from another source, but the Guardian was the only paper that gave this any coverage. The Usual Suspects didn't report on it at all. I wonder why?

Covid Response Was One of UK's Worst Ever Public Health Failures

“Groupthink”, evidence of British exceptionalism and a deliberately “slow and gradualist” approach meant the UK fared “significantly worse” than other countries, according to the 151-page “Coronavirus: lessons learned to date” report led by two former Conservative ministers.

The crisis exposed “major deficiencies in the machinery of government”, with public bodies unable to share vital information and scientific advice impaired by a lack of transparency, input from international experts and meaningful challenge.

Despite being one of the first countries to develop a test for Covid in January 2020, the UK “squandered” its lead and “converted it into one of permanent crisis”. The consequences were profound, the report says. “For a country with a world-class expertise in data analysis, to face the biggest health crisis in 100 years with virtually no data to analyse was an almost unimaginable setback.”

And what is the response of this forum? "It would have been worse under Labour".

Pathetic.

How can you say that? Under the last Labour government money was put into the NHS in a way that actually REDUCED hospital waiting times. Ditto GP appointment waiting times. Where is your evidence for saying that Labour would have done things worse? You don't have any because there is none. There can't be. They weren't in office so you can't say what they would or wouldn't have done. All you have is bluster and pointing the finger in any direction as long as you don't have to face up to the reality that the Tories - who were the government of the day - botched it.

Yes, the Tories took a punt on the vaccine and got lucky. It worked. Phew...!! And we are all glad it did. How much of the decision to use that vaccine was educated, informed and rational is anybody's guess, given that Johnson is a proven chancer who, from his own comments like "Let the bodies pile high" clearly didn't give a damn how many people died .

He took a punt on the vaccine and got lucky. We should be grateful for the vaccine and we are. But that one - lucky or otherwise - success doesn't exonerate the multitude of failures and the appalling death rate that is so callously written off by some here as "a distraction". Nor does it excuse the appalling partying that went on in Downing Street while the rest of the country did its duty and obeyed the rules.

If we take into account ALL the factors of the governments response to Covid, instead of highlighting the vaccine rollout and citing that as the be-all and end-all of the whole business, then the bigger picture is one of shambolic, stumbling in the dark and making mistake after mistake until -thank the lord - one day we got lucky and seized on it.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• We are in financial trouble like every other country in the world. We had a pandemic, which generally speaking was handled quite well. Of course, some of us wouldn't have locked down, whilst others would still have us locked down. He had to make a sensible balance. The PPE was incredibly difficult to get hold of, and again, every country had similar issues. His big decisions were well made, it's a petty he got the smaller ones wrong. At the end of the dauy, just imagine the mess if Labour had been in charge

Spot on Bibbles.. :thumbup:

• Just for the record…

Nat myth over Covid death toll busted as study shows true picture of pandemic
    The UK's excess death rate during the pandemic is well below the western European average with Scotland faring slightly worse than England
    www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk

However, we have gone off topic now so let’s keep to the subject of ‘Being Offended’. There is a thread for Covid.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• And what is the response of this forum? "It would have been worse under Labour".

The main reasoning as I understand it behind relief that Labour were not in charge during covid is that they are ideologically driven and don't look at things through clear glass, they look at things skewed by ideology or in other words through the lens of racism and oppression. They started saying that covid was racist, trying to make a point that black people were hit harder and the LGBT community were hit harder.

We also had the BLM riots during Covid and as much as Boris and the Tories didn't deal with that adequately they did at least stop short of taking the knee in front of BLM. To me Labour stooped as low (in reality and metaphorically) as I have ever seen with Starmer taking the knee before BLM, utterly disgusting and a very low moment for Labour and it is not forgotten and will have much made of it when the next GE comes around, do you want people who do this running your country and making the laws? They lost any small residue of respect I may have held.

The Labour Party conferences resemble a day out from a lunatic asylum, the front bench are a bunch of angry communists who quite obviously hate this country and the majority of people who live here. The Labour Party is there for the other and the needs of the other come before the needs of the majority and the laws of the country will be formed around the needs of the other rather than the needs of the majority. If they insist on being the party to represent the minorities, they will be a minority party.

Had this lot been in charge during covid it is hard to imagine that they would have been acting in the interests of the majority of the country, they have no interest in the majority.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Judging by Starmer’s own bleats in the House of Commons, it would have been lockdown after lockdown and probably without the generous furlough scheme and help to businesses.

• Judging by Starmer’s own bleats in the House of Commons, it would have been lockdown after lockdown and probably without the generous furlough scheme and help to businesses.

Exactly

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• So, your argument is that by taking a symbolic gesture against racism, that acknowledging that it exists, and expressing that they have the willingness to deal with it, they are unfit to govern?

I've lost count of the number of times I have explained why using this American gesture as a simple, easy to do way of saying "I oppose racism" is carried out. You know this, but you deliberately ignore it because you have turned it into a political weapon. You are the ones who use ideology instead of argument.

Your argument is not valid.

As for the Labour Conference being an asylum, have you heard the braying donkeys behind Johnson in the House of Commons every Wednesday lunchtime? What a rabble that lot are. I doubt things will change under Sunak or Truss. A load of Old Etonian stuffed shirts acting like the rabble they are. The Party Conference is SUPPOSED to be a place where argument over policy takes place. That's where policy is sorted out. The Debating Chamber of the House of Commons is supposed to be the place, where among other things, the government is held to account, but the Tory mob howl down any such challenges because they know they are fking up the country and can't handle having the mess they are making being pointed out to them.

No, it is not possible to predict how Labour would have handled Covid. I think we can safely say though that Dido Harding wouldn't have got £34 billion of taxpayers money to produce the equivalent of an Excel spreadsheet that my daughter could have knocked up on her laptop for tuppence*. And where did all that PPE money go? The uncosted contracts, The scammers who fleeced your Tory government. The cronies of Boris Johnson who lined their pockets. The Eton mates who dipped into the pot. Do you think Labour would have given them any of that money?

I don't think so.

So when you can adequately explain where all those billions went, who profited and what is being done to get it back, you might have an argument. Until then, you're just talking through your arse like the apologist for crime that you are.

* And incidentally, I'm pretty sure my daughter would have at least knocked up a spreadsheet that worked, unlike Harding's tens-of-billions effort, which didn't.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• Well, of course your daughter would have. She is yours and therefore much smarter than a bunch of terrible old people whom you spend all day hating and despising and trolling and abusing. If you were my mother, I'd be embarrassed by your antics.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• So, your argument is that by taking a symbolic gesture against racism, that acknowledging that it exists, and expressing that they have the willingness to deal with it, they are unfit to govern?

I've lost count of the number of times I have explained why using this American gesture as a simple, easy to do way of saying "I oppose racism" is carried out. You know this, but you deliberately ignore it because you have turned it into a political weapon. You are the ones who use ideology instead of argument.

Your argument is not valid.

The BLM organisation made their objectives abundantly clear at the time of this uprising post George Floyd. The BLM objectives had nothing to do with the death of Floyd and were pure capitalising on a situation to further their agenda. The BLM objectives were pointed out by many but despite the clear warning the Labour Party embraced it as they too could see political capital in it.

The founders of BLM have since been exposed as fraudsters swaffing champagne and toasting themselves which they were foolish enough to film and post on YouTube. Follow the money where did it go?

Argument is totally valid.

As for the Labour Conference being an asylum, have you heard the braying donkeys behind Johnson in the House of Commons every Wednesday lunchtime? What a rabble that lot are. I doubt things will change under Sunak or Truss. A load of Old Etonian stuffed shirts acting like the rabble they are. The Party Conference is SUPPOSED to be a place where argument over policy takes place. That's where policy is sorted out. The Debating Chamber of the House of Commons is supposed to be the place, where among other things, the government is held to account, but the Tory mob howl down any such challenges because they know they are fking up the country and can't handle having the mess they are making being pointed out to them.

So you agree the Labour Party are a shower of shite because what you have written here is pure whataboutery and doesn't disagree that their Conferences look like a bunch of people out on day release papers.

No, it is not possible to predict how Labour would have handled Covid. I think we can safely say though that Dido Harding wouldn't have got £34 billion of taxpayers money to produce the equivalent of an Excel spreadsheet that my daughter could have knocked up on her laptop for tuppence*. And where did all that PPE money go? The uncosted contracts, The scammers who fleeced your Tory government. The cronies of Boris Johnson who lined their pockets. The Eton mates who dipped into the pot. Do you think Labour would have given them any of that money?

I don't think so.

You are right it isn't possible to know for sure how Labour would have handled it but we can see their voting record and we know the critcisms that were issued by Starmer so I think it fair to say he would have handled it no better and probably we would still have mask mandates in place now - I bet you still wear a mask?

So when you can adequately explain where all those billions went, who profited and what is being done to get it back, you might have an argument. Until then, you're just talking through your arse like the apologist for crime that you are.

Not an apologist for crime but I don't know where it went if it wasn't spent on what was claimed it was allocated to. I am just a voter, a member of the public, I can't explain it and I don't have to.

* And incidentally, I'm pretty sure my daughter would have at least knocked up a spreadsheet that worked, unlike Harding's tens-of-billions effort, which didn't.

I love Excel I find spreadsheeting really therapeutic. I really like a long "nested IF statement" do you?

• Beyoncé to Remove Ableist Slur From Song 'Heated' After Backlash
    Just like Lizzo did, Beyoncé faced an uproar over her use of the word “spaz” in a new song
    www.rollingstone.com

I don’t think the wokes of society should be taken at all seriously if they are going to be offended by a word that is not intended to be taken as offensive. What do you think?

In the US, this word is commonly used to mean ‘going crazy’.

How long will it be before someone refers to a cow on a farm and some women’s rights fanatic complains that the word is offensive to women?

This is all going too far now and we need to stop this before it gets completely out of control and people become afraid to say anything.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!