RTL: The European media giant big enough to take on the Americans?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • European TV Giant RTL Posts Record $1.6B Profit, Revenue Gain Amid Streaming Growth, Ad Rebound
    The company says its production division, Fremantle, will top $3.3 billion in revenue by 2025.
    www.hollywoodreporter.com

Europe's biggest media company, RTL, posted its latest financial results this week and it's doing rather well.

RTL doesn't get much press in the UK these days, but it is the company that owned our Channel 5 for years and also owns Thames TV (ITV's old London franchise) and also own's Australia's Freemantle, maker of Neighbours and pop talent shows like Pop Idols and Britain's Got Talent, so it is a signifcant player in this country, even though most people don't know about it.

What I found interesting from this article (linked above) is RTL's streaming plans. They intend to launch a combined streamer that not only includes tv and film, but music and audio books too. Could this be a sign of the future? RTL has the size that it can take on the American media companies if it chooses to.

RTL is busy in France at the moment as it's merging it's French unit with another company to become the biggest media operator in France. After selling Channel 5, could RTL reenter the UK broadcasing space either with a bid for ITV or perhaps launching its streamer into the UK market?

• Interesting.

Talking of ITV, both Virgin and Sky have shown interest in taking a majority share in the running of the company in the not too distant past, and I think ITV’s launch later this year of ITVX may make the company more attractive

• Won't be VM, OB.

As I've already speculated before on what I think will happen to VM, so won't repeat here, but VM taking a 50% share of ITV doesn't seem likely to me, but who knows for sure. They still own a chunck of ITV as far as I know.

• This is a earlier article from last November about RTL's plans to specfically take on Netflix and the American players:

How Germany’s RTL+ Aims to Compete With Netflix
    Europe's largest commercial TV network is launching a first-of-its-kind streaming service that will combine video, e-books, podcasts, digital magazines and…
    www.hollywoodreporter.com

I wonder if this is something the beeb, ITV and Ch4 are looking at too?

• Won't be VM, OB.

As I've already speculated before on what I think will happen to VM, so won't repeat here, but VM taking a 50% share of ITV doesn't seem likely to me, but who knows for sure. They still own a chunck of ITV as far as I know.

Although they do control channels in Ireland Virgin Media 1 - 3, Virgin Media Sport, etc. It wouldn't be a great leap.

• This is a earlier article from last November about RTL's plans to specfically take on Netflix and the American players:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digit…ing-1235042977/

I wonder if this is something the beeb, ITV and Ch4 are looking at too?

I'd be surprised if they were not, to be honest. Virgin used to have music on demand until relatively recently, but they dropped it when YouTube arrived on their platform.

As for e-books, I'm not sure how successful that will be on our TV screens.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!