Is the golden age of streaming already over?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • UK viewers cut back on subscription streaming services | RXTV info
    The number of UK households subscribing to at least one streaming service has fallen for the first time in a decade. And it's particularly bad news for…
    rxtvinfo.com

Netflix loses subscribers for first time in more than 10 years
    About 200,000 people cancelled the streaming service in the first three months of the year.
    www.bbc.co.uk

Neflix has raised prices, cracking down on password sharing and is facing increasing competition, so tonight's news of their shares crashing after they posted news of their first ever downturn in subscribers, is hardly surprising. But it's the news that came out yesterday, which maybe more important here.

Energy prices are going to stay high for a long time yet, as will food and other essentials and so people are cutting back on streaming services, but is this just a blip that may last a year or two, or does this indicate that the era of streaming services has already passed it's highest point?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• A thought has just occured to me... I always get my masterpieces late at night! ^^

The financial and media pundits are all saying tonight that it doesn't look good for the future of streaming and in particular, Netflix.

I do think there is a current situation, aka the squeeze on people's finances for perhaps the next few years, but I think the choice was made. People prefer streaming. But what about Netflix?

It's all doom and gloom talk tonight about Netflix and their share price has been in long term decline, I'd argue to normal levels. Netflix will now be a "proper" company and refocus on making profits rather than just growth. But where I disagree with the experts, is that streaming is not in terminal decline, far from it! Things have only just started.

With that in mind and Netflix does need to do something, I reckon, so I agree with the experts on that. Perhaps get ads for a lower price tier, but I reckon they need to do something else.

Wait for it.......>>>>>>>

I reckon Netflix will make a bid for Disney or Warner Discovery at some point in the not too distant future.

Netflix always said they wouldn't buy a Hollywood company, but the pundits tonight say that what drives Hollywood is hits. Netflix has done well, but after all it's money and algorithms, it still has far too few hits. But if it owned Star Wars or Superman or perhaps even Star Trek, that would be game changer for them.

• With that in mind and Netflix does need to do something, I reckon, so I agree with the experts on that. Perhaps get ads for a lower price tier,

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think if I were in charge, I would look at an additional cheaper tier with advertisements and an added free tier with less content, leaving existing tiers where they are. That would drastically improve take-up and revenue. They should use some of that extra revenue to pay down their debts, reward their investors and pay for new content, the key to continued growth.

Subscriber numbers are falling at the moment due to the Russian service being withdrawn and the impact of cost of living hikes. People are also worried about the economy of their countries and whether job losses are on the horizon.

However, I don’t see this as a long term decline in the way that some people are presenting it.

• However, I don’t see this as a long term decline in the way that some people are presenting it.

Neither do I.

We are not going back to having loads of channels all showing the same shows back-to-back and we get no choice on what episode to watch or anything else.

Streaming gives the control to enable us to watch what we want, when we want.

• Netflix have pulled out of Russia since Ukraine conflict so there are a few subs lost there.

Some people are pulling in the purse strings due to general cost of living increases at the moment which we are all experiencing.

But mainly Netflix is on the end of anti-woke backlash because they make programmes that are drenched in LGBTQ+ and SJW ideology.

They have lost a couple of the big franchises such as Marvel and their own programming is unwatchable garbage so the best way to react is to choke of the money supply until they realise what they have done. Continuing to sub despite the fact you have probably given up watching is just encouraging them.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• The 8 reasons people are turning off Netflix - from price hikes to woke shows
    NETFLIX was once the king of TV streaming, but the maker of The Crown is losing its shine – and its subscribers. The US tech giant has lost 200,000 so far this…
    www.thesun.co.uk

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I might have known that Harry and Meghan would have had something to do with it!

Seriously, I think the demise of Netflix will not happen in my lifetime, nor that of my offspring. With dramas such as Ozark and Bridgeton still being churned out, I certainly won’t be cancelling my subscription - indeed, if the worst came to the worst, Netflix would be the last of the streamers to go in our house!

I have so many programmes on my watchlist to see on Netflix, I am pretty overwhelmed with the choice available on that one platform. All the Netflix dramas I have selected so far (apart from the odd rare mediocre ones) have been excellent.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!