Women’s rights to abortion in the US may be under threat

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Abortion rights: Leaked document shows US Supreme Court may overturn Roe v Wade
    Planned Parenthood said if the report is correct, "our deepest fears are coming true". Hillary Clinton says it's an "utter disgrace".
    news.sky.com

Although the ruling hasn’t been confirmed yet, women living in the US must be getting concerned about this development.

Abolishing the existing status quo would lead to more back street abortions - it won’t stop them from taking place. On the other hand, where is the logic of laws that make killing a baby that has been born illegal but if it is killed inside the womb, that’s OK?

Unfortunately, human beings seem incapable of having sensible conversations on this difficult issue.

Women supporting the right to have an abortion claim that they should be able to make decisions about their own body, but opponents claim that the baby has a right to life, so what about the baby’s body when it cannot survive outside the womb?

What does the forum think?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Personally, I think that abortion should be decided on each individual case and legislated by whatever state in the united states you reside.

Contrary to popular Left/Wing belief, abortion is just NOT another form of contraception.. It is terminating the life of a baby. BUT sometimes for a medical reason to save the mother's life, an abortion is required.

Abortion is killing, no doubt about it. I'm not comfortable with that.

• I think the law should stay out of this completely and let women decide what grows or not, in their bodies.

I see longer term consequences here for America. More liberal coastal areas and then the red neck middle bits. I don't really see how the two can coexist and this is just one of many examples of the possible break up of the not so united states.

• I agree 100% some argue that the world is already is over populated which puts more pressure on resources, if they know the child may be born with defects let the woman decide what she wants to happen its her body not the states

What about women who are raped and fall pregnant not all of them will want to bring up the Rapists child , living with the memory of being raped is bad enough let alone left holding a baby she did not plan or want.

I remember when you girls and women had to travel to England to have an abortion on the quite as it was no allowed in Ireland, it was either that or back to the bad old days and risk a back street abortion, some died

• I think the law should stay out of this completely and let women decide what grows or not, in their bodies.

I see longer term consequences here for America. More liberal coastal areas and then the red neck middle bits. I don't really see how the two can coexist and this is just one of many examples of the possible break up of the not so united states.

Abortion most definitely should be allowed in the early days of pregnancy, but I don't think it should be permitted once the baby can feel pain and has a sense of awareness. However, the exception would be where the mother's health or even life is in danger.

I'm really not comfortable with the State-sanctioned slaying of babies. The reality of an aborted baby lying there gasping its last breaths is a sight that would give you nightmares.

• Ppersonally I think it nobodies business accept for the woman who's body it is. It their choice and nothing to do with anyone else. Ban abortion if you like but then woman will go back to Gin in hot bath and kitchen tongs. They will be mutilated. With the state of global warming and population numbers we should be encouraging abortion.

• Abortion is murder.

Abortions being freely available just encourages some women to act like sluts and use abortions as an alternative to the morning after pill.

The availability of abortions should be limited to victims of rape, to save the life of the expectant mother in the case of serious illness or because of detected deformities of the unborn child that would seriously diminish the quality of life.

If women really don't want the children they are carrying they should do what they used to do and take the baby away after a few weeks for adoption. Sure this was not handled well in the past from both the mother and baby point of view but we can learn the lessons from the past to make things better in the future. The child should have a legal right to know their natural mother and father, there should be no right to anonymity except maybe for the rape cases.

I believe there is a shortage of babies available for adoption so this could be a win win situation. No abortions (or very few) and childless couples can find a child to adopt as their own.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Here is a good take on the US abortion issue (fast forward to 2:55 to get to the start of the piece)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Also the video below has good additional insight into the US abortion issue including Bidens historic opinion which is somewhat different to what he says now (maybe he can't remember what he thought) - fast forward to 3:50 to get to the right part

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If women really don't want the children they are carrying they should do what they used to do and take the baby away after a few weeks for adoption. Sure this was not handled well in the past from both the mother and baby point of view but we can learn the lessons from the past to make things better in the future. The child should have a legal right to know their natural mother and father, there should be no right to anonymity except maybe for the rape cases.

As you mention rape there, should women still carry a baby inside them to birth if it was created as a result of a rape?

• Definitely not, but they should test for pregnancy and get the abortion sorted at an early stage.

• As you mention rape there, should women still carry a baby inside them to birth if it was created as a result of a rape?

As I said in the post from which you snipped the extract the victim of a rape should be allowed to abort if they decide that is the best thing.

• Personally I don't consider it human until it's born and breaths air. Abortion should be allowed and even encouraged considering the population growth crisis and knock on effects on the world and every other life on Earth. The difficulties here lay with the cut off point at how many months before it's considered a life though it's not really human yet, it's just a foetal blob of goo.

• A baby in the womb is alive. It's a living being. What right has any woman to kill that life just because it's a wee bit inconvenient to bring up a child at that time.

If she doesn't want children then any action should be taken before conception.

It's easy to avoid becoming pregnant

If the pregnancy is due to rape and the mother doesn't want to bring up that child then put it up for adoption. There are loads of couples who would like to adopt a baby.

• As I said in the post from which you snipped the extract the victim of a rape should be allowed to abort if they decide that is the best thing.

Ok. Missed it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!