Sport on TV

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I thought it might be useful to have a thread devoted to sport on TV, which can include discussion on upcoming and recent sports events and also the method of delivery via TV channels, streamers, etc.

For starters, the BBC and ITV broadcasters have agreed on the sharing of the 2022 World Cup coverage.

BBC and ITV reveal 2022 World Cup coverage plans
    The BBC and ITV have revealed their coverage plans, including how the two broadcasters will split the matches.
    www.seenit.co.uk

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Warner Bros. Discovery Aims to Become Aggressive ‘Global Operator’ in Wide World of Sports
    There’s a new contender in the arena. As Discovery begins its new era of operating Warner Bros., HBO and Turner, all eyes are on how the new company will…
    variety.com

So, it seems that the first streamer to offer a substantial chunk of the Premier League matches will be Discovery Warner, who will ‘aggressively’ go after more sports rights worldwide.

I suspect that the BT Sports channels will continue to operate as now, and the big development will be that the matches will be simulcast on the Warner Discovery streamer. Presumably, the sport element will be offered as an add-on fee to the scripted and documentary content part of the subscription.

It sounds to me that Sky may have a real challenge at the next round of bidding for the majority of the Premier league rights.

• I thought it might be useful to have a thread devoted to sport on TV, which can include discussion on upcoming and recent sports events and also the method of delivery via TV channels, streamers, etc.

There was already this thread:

Where we've spoken about all the sports rights gradually moving to the streamers, but this thread is more broad brushed, so happy to keep all sport stuff here now. :thumbup:

But as said before in the other thread, Amazon, Apple et all, are 1/2 trillion dollar companies and now that they've shown their hands (they are serious about sports) how can Warner, or Sky or anyone else compete against them?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!