Sport on TV

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I thought it might be useful to have a thread devoted to sport on TV, which can include discussion on upcoming and recent sports events and also the method of delivery via TV channels, streamers, etc.

For starters, the BBC and ITV broadcasters have agreed on the sharing of the 2022 World Cup coverage.

BBC and ITV reveal 2022 World Cup coverage plans
    The BBC and ITV have revealed their coverage plans, including how the two broadcasters will split the matches.
    www.seenit.co.uk

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Warner Bros. Discovery Aims to Become Aggressive ‘Global Operator’ in Wide World of Sports
    There’s a new contender in the arena. As Discovery begins its new era of operating Warner Bros., HBO and Turner, all eyes are on how the new company will…
    variety.com

So, it seems that the first streamer to offer a substantial chunk of the Premier League matches will be Discovery Warner, who will ‘aggressively’ go after more sports rights worldwide.

I suspect that the BT Sports channels will continue to operate as now, and the big development will be that the matches will be simulcast on the Warner Discovery streamer. Presumably, the sport element will be offered as an add-on fee to the scripted and documentary content part of the subscription.

It sounds to me that Sky may have a real challenge at the next round of bidding for the majority of the Premier league rights.

• I thought it might be useful to have a thread devoted to sport on TV, which can include discussion on upcoming and recent sports events and also the method of delivery via TV channels, streamers, etc.

There was already this thread:

Where we've spoken about all the sports rights gradually moving to the streamers, but this thread is more broad brushed, so happy to keep all sport stuff here now. :thumbup:

But as said before in the other thread, Amazon, Apple et all, are 1/2 trillion dollar companies and now that they've shown their hands (they are serious about sports) how can Warner, or Sky or anyone else compete against them?

• It will be very interesting to see whether any of the streamers make a credible play for the rights to the Champions’ League.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertainment/broadcasting/news/uefa-opens-bidding-for-next-set-of-champions-league-rights_486375.html

UEFA has reportedly opened bidding for the UK rights to its club competitions for the next three-season period starting in 2024-25.

BT Sport currently holds the rights to show the Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League and European Supercup as part of a deal worth around £400m a year.

UEFA is hoping to earn more from the next deal, however, as the period will coincide with the introduction of a new expanded 36-team format in the group stages of the Champions League.

According to Sport Business, UEFA is planning to put out invitations for first-round bids next week with a deadline of June 29.

The tender process will represent the first major rights availability since BT Sport announced plans for a merger with Warner Bros. Discovery's Eurosport in the UK.

Other interested parties could include Sky, DAZN and new streaming service Viaplay.

• I must admit that I really don't like the idea of sport being divided up amongst a number of diverse media sources. As a consumer I don't want to have to make multiple subscriptions to different companies to cover a single season of Premier League Football (as an example). I would rather just pay my subs to Sky (for example) and they can provide the service or they can sub-contract the service to Virgin (for example) to expand the coverage onto different formats.

What I really don't like is the idea of is disruptors coming in to take a slice of premier league football and hide it away exclusively on their platform (Amazon for example).

My son has had some experience with DZone for boxing because a certain fight was only on their streaming service only to discover it was only available to US located customers. He bought a VPN to skirt around the geographic issue and still couldn't get the fight because he had signed up with a UK email address and they would only provide a service that was geographically correct to your email - rendering a VPN useless unless you have multiple email accounts and multiple DZone accounts.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I must admit that I really don't like the idea of sport being divided up amongst a number of diverse media sources. As a consumer I don't want to have to make multiple subscriptions to different companies to cover a single season of Premier League Football (as an example). I would rather just pay my subs to Sky (for example) and they can provide the service or they can sub-contract the service to Virgin (for example) to expand the coverage onto different formats.

What I really don't like is the idea of is disruptors coming in to take a slice of premier league football and hide it away exclusively on their platform (Amazon for example).

My son has had some experience with DZone for boxing because a certain fight was only on their streaming service only to discover it was only available to US located customers. He bought a VPN to skirt around the geographic issue and still couldn't get the fight because he had signed up with a UK email address and they would only provide a service that was geographically correct to your email - rendering a VPN useless unless you have multiple email accounts and multiple DZone accounts.

Oh dear. Capitalism is upsetting you. How sad, never mind.

As a girl I used to watch football on either BBC or ITV. They were the only choices. There were edited highlights and the occasional live match such as the cup final. Other than that, BBC got all the events my dad liked such as the open golf or my mum liked such as Wimbledon. ITV did some sport but mostly horse racing, rugby league and wrestling. The bottom line was that, you got all the sport there was to watch for the price of the licence fee.

Then came Rupert Murdoch and Sky, changing football to Premier League and putting it under his control for massive profit. Sky would have gone bust without football. Football would have survived without Rupert Murdoch, but with his money on the table, it was too much for the big clubs to resist so rather than have the Man Uniteds and Liverpools break away to form their own league, the FA caved in.

In plain terms, sport was privatised during a Tory government which I can be pretty sure was something you voted for.

Like another well known project that is causing misery to millions, you've got what you voted for.

Just telling the truth, that's all. I know you don't like it, but there it is.

• There is an upside to all this which is DZone bit off more than they could chew. Having recently won the rights to screen the latest Anthony Joshua fight which is going to be in Saudi Arabia they then tried to shaft the big boys with the fee required to take affiliate rights to show the fight. However Sky and BT Sport amongst others told DZone to jog on and refused to carry the fight for the asking price. This leaves DZone holding the baby so to speak, they will make a loss and consequently the Saudi's will make a loss too. The Saudi's are furious about this but will take the loss to honour the contract. They state that they will only deal with the big boys in future.

So I guess you were right Capitalism did win. The AJ fight will be illegally streamed somewhere and reposted so many times it will be impossible to block. If Sky or BT Sport had the fight they would put it up for free on their YouTube channels a few days later anyway so nobody loses out.

DZone got what they deserve. When you act as a disrupter you may just be disrupted yourself. I guess thats something you would know all about ITG.

As an aside: Are you suggesting that the Premier league would not exist under a Labour Government?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

I think this will be resolved over time. For example, although sport may be spread over a number of streamers, companies such as Sky and Virgin will start offering bouquets of streamers instead of TV channels, so you just pay one subscription.

The transition may be taking longer than it should due to the negotiations with the streamers being difficult in this area, but I think as they reach a situation where subscribers are more difficult to find (eg look at Netflix now), they will be more likely to reach an accommodation with the pay TV providers to secure and expand their reach.

• Tomorrow night The Lionesses play Germany in the Euro final at Wembley .... Win or lose, those English girls have shown the world how to play football. The England manager has picked the very best female players in the country to represent England... As a Scot, I hope England wins. :thumbup:

• I have little interest in football stopped playing and watching it years ago, but I have watched two of the games with the wife far more entertaining than the men and their theatrics and tantrums, we will watch the game together its a sell out 88 thousand tickets sold capacity crowd

• I rarely watch football lost interest in it years ago, but I did watch last night and enjoyed it they just get on with it, unlike the men drama queens ducking and diving all over the place

• Disrupters are not making themselves popular with consumers. The last minute deal with Sky suggests that most people were holding out and wouldn’t sign directly with DAZN so they did a deal with Sky to save themselves as much as anything. The concept of watching a whole season of football on your phone, tablet or computer is unacceptable. Only a few smart tv’s have the DAZN app but everyone who wanted to watch the football on TV already had Sky. I really don’t like this sort of pissing about, it is disrespectful to true fans.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!