When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Sky Sports nets long-term tennis deals
    Sky has agreed new five-year partnerships with both ATP Media, the broadcast arm of the ATP, and WTA Ventures, the commercial arm of the WTA, which will see ove
    advanced-television.com
    Sky Sports inks new three-year deal with PGA in UK
    Sky Sports inks a new deal for continued coverage of the PGA
    www.mediamole.co.uk
    TNT Sports sublicenses women's football from DAZN
    TNT Sports agrees a deal with DAZN to broadcast coverage of the
    www.mediamole.co.uk
  • Interesting to see that Ian Wright is giving up Match of the Day. He's got very good football credentials, is clearly intelligent and is used by other channels but can anyone say he'll be missed? Not by me.

• Interesting to see that Ian Wright is giving up Match of the Day. He's got very good football credentials, is clearly intelligent and is used by other channels but can anyone say he'll be missed? Not by me.

Is any pundit missed?

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• At first it was a breath of fresh air to have actual former-pros on TV (tho radio cricket had had them for years) giving new insight on the inner workings of the games - best examples included John Virgo on snooker, John Part on darts (still there!), John Madden on US (American) Football and Bob Wilson on football.

Sad that nowadays on TV it's mostly ex-players not just in the expert colour commentator role but also as presenters.. no matter how dumb they are or how much they get ideas above their station and start meddling in politics. Wright was one of the better ones - inciteful, polite, respectful.

• Is it not true that all champions are flawed?

All people are flawed but champions get more focus on them. But Hunt was not a great guy. His inane lifelong hate of (innocent) Ricardo Patrese and the way he treated women and drugs being examples.

• All people are flawed but champions get more focus on them. But Hunt was not a great guy. His inane lifelong hate of (innocent) Ricardo Patrese and the way he treated women and drugs being examples.

He was very much a man of his era. I can’t imagine anyone in Formula One today acting the way Hunt did. Kimi Raikonen was a bit of a party animal but not in the same league as Hunt.

Bizarrely Hunts hobby was keeping budgerigars. I always found that so surprising given everything we knew about his public life.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Warner, Fox, Disney to Launch Streaming Sports Joint Venture
    Warner Bros. Discovery, ESPN and Fox Sports will join together in a game-changing streaming outlet that will put all their sports offerings together
    variety.com

News just coming out tonight that in the States that Fox, ESPN (Disney) and Warner Bros Discovery are to launch a sports only streamer combining sports from all three companies.

How this effects current streamers, especially Max, which has sports on it, I don't know.

• To be honest, I don't know, but it does turn the streaming saga on its head. I'll need to ponder this and post further at a later point.

I didn't see this coming at all.

• There's not much to know, except that over there much like here, more and more content is being stripped out of F2A schedules and being packaged up into subscriptions - and there's so many subscriptions needed to get everything you want that only the rich+stupid can afford to blanket buy, so everyone else suffers.

It does stink of a anti-free-market monopolisation to me - we are not 'free to choose the cheapest option' if there is only one provider of each option.

No wonder illegal downloads are booming.

• Neither did I and to be fair I don't know or understand the detail.

Two things are going to happen, in the States at least. I doubt we'll see the same things here.

Firstly, there will be this streamer which will show linear sports channels from Disney, Warner and Fox. There will also be on demand content from these companies.

The streamer will be equally owned by all three companies, but independently run and it will acquire the content from the three companies on a non-exclusive basis. More on this in a min.

Currently, between those three companies, they control the bulk of American sports rights, but not all. Amazon, Apple and Netflix are all getting into sports. I see this as a purely defensive move by the three companies to stave off emerging competition from the tech giants and also to stem losses as more people cut their cable tv packages in the States and move to streaming. For the first time ever, streaming now accounts for 51% of all "broadcasting" in the States, as opposed to watching linear tv channels.

In America, to watch a sports channel like ESPN, you always had to buy a bundle of other cable tv channels. The cable companies insisted on it, so with this move, if someone wants to watch sports and only sports, they don't need to buy a bundle of other stuff.

Disney also announced yesterday that it will launch a standalone ESPN streaming service next year, separate from this combined venture. This streamer will have enhanced features on it such as gambling, shopping, sports stats etc and will likely be offered as a bundle with Disney+.

ESPN already streams games on the net, but I think access is dependent in the States on whether you already have an existing cable/sat tv package.

So, anyone who thought we were going to get less streamers in the future (me!!) Wrong!

• I think that three streamers showing the same range of sports is good for the consumer too, because now you only have to subscribe to one streamer to access all the sports that are subject to this arrangement.

Hopefully, those who have no interest in sport can opt out and not pay for that tier.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!