Sinn Fein win majority in Northern Ireland. Border poll next?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • NI election results 2022: Sinn Féin wins 27 seats to become biggest party - BBC News
    It is the first time a nationalist party has been the biggest in the Northern Ireland Assembly, while the centre-ground Alliance has surged.
    www.bbc.co.uk

The fomer IRA are now the top dogs in Northern Ireland. I am sure all the unionists are fearing what comes next and as if on cue, the SF leader has already bragged what comes next after her party's win. A border poll within five years. She couldn't even wait a day before gloating about it.

Will the DUP play second fiddle to Sein Fein and re-enter Stormont, or are we heading for "choppy waters" again in NI? Will there even be a Northern Ireland in five years time?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Choppy waters I think especially after the way NI has been treated through the whole Brexit scenario and most likely feeling a bit like second fiddle to mainland UK. Could they even become independent I wonder.

• If a majority voted for that, I guess it was possible. Was. Now that the nationalists are in charge, I don't see that ever happening.

• S Fein / IRA will destroy Northern Ireland. It's a lovely place full of decent people. The last thing they need is Terrorists In charge of the devolved government. There will be no power sharing . It will be knee capping, punishment beatings and criminality. The number of "disappeared" will increase..

I hope this won't happen, but given the IRA's proven methods of controlling areas it is a possibility.

• The knee cappings, beatings and criminality has always gone on. The problem they have over there, at least in some areas, is with drugs. And most of this stuff stems from drugs gangs, rather than political "warriors" aka terrorists.

• Yep they have a huge problem with Xanax aka GAMBA as they call it in NI, mainly....prescribed for anxiety and depression similar to tranquillizers like Diazepam. Xanax has now crept into the black market. It's also an issue on mainland UK now and why you getting young adults with babies dummies in their mouth which they prefer over chewing gum for jaw ache / spasms. You also get them mixing it with gas from balloons or those silver canisters for puncture repair and putting air into tyres which is akin to glue sniffing. You could call Xanax the modern day Ecstasy /MDMA though a different kind of buzz and sadly this is one of the consequences of vilifying other drugs. Folk will turn to big pharma where many of their drugs are often far worse, especially when they hit the black market and fakes are made. Anyone can purchase this shit from pharmacies abroad online or press some fakes in a pop up garage.

Just look how Fentanyl has replaced Heroin in Canada and the US and some parts up North over here now where they can get a mix....extremely dangerous it is too, far more dangerous than the traditional morphine based Heroin. Drugs are moving into the flatliner territory 'like the film' with anaesthetics. One of the main places Fentanyl is used is in the operating theatres as part of the cocktail of drugs used by anaesthetists. We also have Ketamine which is also used in operating theatres and by paramedics to put someone asleep to gain complete control. It's also used in veterinary clinics. Get some in the liquid form stolen from a Veterinary clinic, stick it in an old frying pan and slowly heat into a white paste, dry out and chop into a white powder and it's good to snort. It's dangerously moorish and easy to get the taste for it in it's pure form like that. If your really hardcore then you could inject it in it's liquid form but that is really dangerous and you need to know what your doing or you can instantly go into a deep K hole, basically anaesthetise yourself and cause breathing difficulties /depressive breathing, hence why hospitals use Nitrogen and Oxygen gas to regulate things. Ket is very big :rolleyes: on the gay scene. Oddly the gay scene have always managed to get the best drugs for some reason even back in my raving days. Maybe they are not quite so much in the limelight or are left alone as one could easily be accused of gay bashing, a kind of woke your racist kind of thing.

A lot more pharmaceutical drugs being used now because they don't quite have the same legal connotations, especially on prescription and they are easier to produce with readily available ingredients than designer drugs like E.

• If a majority voted for that, I guess it was possible. Was. Now that the nationalists are in charge, I don't see that ever happening.

I think there will be a referendum in the near to medium term, but I don’t think there will be sufficient people voting to break away from the UK for some time.

But it is only a matter of time before NI is absorbed within the Irish republic, and if that’s what the electorate want, I see no reason for Britain to oppose it. NI is quite an expensive nation to maintain, so a positive vote for leaving the UK will not have any adverse consequences for Britain.

I should imagine that the Protestants in NI would be pretty upset by a yes vote, but sadly for them, the writing is on the wall.

• It could end up in a Referendum North and South of the Border, I think it may get rather dangerous in the mean time , the IRA have not gone away nor have the Loyalists j

• I don’t think the IRA or the Loyalist organisations want violence nowadays. Violence now from the IRA would only entrench the position of people who are opposed to unification, and if the Loyalists turned to violence, the electorate would probably be more inclined to seek unification to see an end to Protestant belligerence.

• I think there will be a referendum in the near to medium term, but I don’t think there will be sufficient people voting to break away from the UK for some time.

I think if the nationalist community gets a chance for a UI (united Ireland) they'll grab at the chance, but what is interesting is the actual election figures.

SF's overall vote dropped to under 39% and the DUP's vote also dropped to just under 40%, so neither side has an outright majority as voters are moving to the more neutrel Alliance party.

For a border poll to happen, there has to be the expectation that a majority of the population in NI want it to happen, so a whole chuck of people voting alliance, muddies the waters somewhat.

• Horizon

Changed the title of the thread from “Sein Fein win majority in Northern Ireland. Border poll next?” to “Sinn Fein win majority in Northern Ireland. Border poll next?”.
  • I don’t think the IRA or the Loyalist organisations want violence nowadays. Violence now from the IRA would only entrench the position of people who are opposed to unification, and if the Loyalists turned to violence, the electorate would probably be more inclined to seek unification to see an end to Protestant belligerence.

I hope not IMO most of the younger generation do not want a return to days of violence , but violence has been part of Irish Politics for many years

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-61320994

The fomer IRA are now the top dogs in Northern Ireland. I am sure all the unionists are fearing what comes next and as if on cue, the SF leader has already bragged what comes next after her party's win. A border poll within five years. She couldn't even wait a day before gloating about it.

Will the DUP play second fiddle to Sein Fein and re-enter Stormont, or are we heading for "choppy waters" again in NI? Will there even be a Northern Ireland in five years time?

Democracy doesn't always give the outcome that some would like. This was an inevitable reaction to the balls up that Brexit was and remains to Northern Ireland. They will be in a far better place being part of a united Ireland under the current circumstances annexed from the UK but not in the EU either.

Obviously this has come about as a result of short sighted and ill-concieved policy from the early days of Tony Blairs first Labour government when the terrorists were forgiven and allowed to take up political roles (Good Friday Agreement). The majority of people in NI then wanted to be in the UK then but that may no longer true.

There is of course the potential that we have the same situation as in Scotland where the SNP have local power but they cannot get an Indyref vote over the line and this will be something the new SF leadership will have to grapple with. They should think about an Indyref as a once in generation issue and not a best of three as SNP see it.

Historically NI has been a lot of trouble for the UK so I personally have mixed feelings about the re-unification of NI and Eire. It makes sense on many levels and the means by which the separation came about historically doesn't look good seen through modern eyes.

Will the UK be poorer for the loss of NI? - I doubt it.

Will we be diminished on the world stage as a result? - In the current climate with the Ukraine situation we will probably be applauded for setting them free if that is how they see it.

Will this be politically bad for Brexit? - Yes, but we were warned and pressed ahead anyway. I really don't think many in the mainland UK actually give a shit, NI has been nothing but trouble so the consensus will be best to get shot.

The EU border is already in the Irish sea for the rest of us so it won't make a lot of difference. At least if Ireland reunifies the borders will become Irish and UK soil again which makes sense.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!