New cheaper Netflix tier with ads on the way

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Netflix 'is getting ads this year' as huge membership price cut revealed
    NETFLIX could launch a new version of its app with advertisements later this year. A leaked company memo hints that a “cheaper” tier will be available as soon…
    www.thesun.co.uk

After their share price collapse, Netflix has now confirmed that ads are on the way in a new cheaper tier. At £5.49 per month, who is interested in this?

• Certainly not me. I subscribe to streamers to avoid the commercials and to get a far superior choice compared with the TV channel menus.

My ‘Old Boy’s TV Choice’ thread contains less real choice than ever before at the moment so I think that once ITVX launches, there will be even more incentive to dispense with the linear TV channels once and for all.

However, a cheaper version of the streamer with ads is a good move by Netflix to bring in more revenue with additional subscribers who can’t or don’t want to pay too much for their viewing. By the same token, some would reduce their subscription and put up with the ads, thereby reducing the projected improvement to their finances.

I think they should also have a free tier for those who do not pay for their TV viewing, although I suspect that less choice would be available to them.

• Not me either. We pay premium and get decent content for it which is what we want. We’ll rarely watch live TV anyway and if it’s not Netflix, it will be Amazon Prime or Brit Box or catch-up on the main channels. So we want value for money.

Can understand though if people wanted to choose this cheaper tier as a way of saving money and of course more subscribers and revenue for Netflix.

• And, also with all these streamers, the cost adds up. Don't forget there's still Paramount+ and the new Warner/Discovery streamer to come on top of what we already have.

My ‘Old Boy’s TV Choice’ thread contains less real choice than ever before at the moment so I think that once ITVX launches, there will be even more incentive to dispense with the linear TV channels once and for all.

Just on ITX specfically for a second, I see they are going to premier new dramas, or at least some new dramas on the streamer several months before it appears on the channel, so they really are pushing the streaming option over their main channel.

However, a cheaper version of the streamer with ads is a good move by Netflix to bring in more revenue with additional subscribers who can’t or don’t want to pay too much for their viewing. By the same token, some would reduce their subscription and put up with the ads, thereby reducing the projected improvement to their finances.

I think they should also have a free tier for those who do not pay for their TV viewing, although I suspect that less choice would be available to them.

My feeling is, that should do something like what Amazon have done. Amazon have their free streamer with ads which shows mainly older stuff and their main streamer without. It would be nice if Netflix did something like that. It's a bit bizarre paying for a streamer with ads, albeit at a low cost.

• Yep. The Neflix co-ceo has confirmed today in France that they are looking into ads, but not in a rush.

• Netflix: 4 mins of ads for $2 saving?
    Netflix is said to be planning four minutes of ads an hour for its ‘budget’ version to be released in several territories in Q4. As belts tighten around
    advanced-television.com

I think Netflix has got this wrong. Would it not have been better to make the service free with advertisements? I really can’t see this plan increasing subscriber numbers or dissuading those who are thinking of leaving due to the inevitable belt tightening that will be going on during the energy crisis.

• Netflix with ads is going to be £4.99. It's basically Basic with ads and is called, Basic with adverts.

This RXTV article is wrong about there being an upgrade in picture quality. I've been on Basic for a couple years, and ever since started it has said HD in the profile section, rather than Full HD. And it has always looked HD. As far as I've been concerned since signing up I was getting 720p.

I think historically it launched at SD, but ever since I resubscribed it's been HD, and said as much in the profile. I'm guessing someone at RXTV has been on a higher tier, so just assumed it hadn't changed.

Netflix with adverts, for under a fiver | RXTV info
    Netflix says it will offer a "price and plan for every fan", once it launches its new ad-supported tier in the UK on 3rd November 2022.
    rxtvinfo.com
  • Netflix with ads is going to be £4.99. It's basically Basic with ads and is called, Basic with adverts.

This RXTV article is wrong about there being an upgrade in picture quality. I've been on Basic for a couple years, and ever since started it has said HD in the profile section, rather than Full HD. And it has always looked HD. As far as I've been concerned since signing up I was getting 720p.

I think historically it launched at SD, but ever since I resubscribed it's been HD, and said as much in the profile. I'm guessing someone at RXTV has been on a higher tier, so just assumed it hadn't changed.

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/uk-launch…erts-3-november

I contacted RXTV and they said Netflix has been "testing 720p on basic for some time" and showed me a screenshot of a table showing "(available November 2022)" in the column for existing Basic service, which I assume is from press release they've got.

So, seems we got lucky and put on the trial when we rejoined. :) :thumbup:

• So do I!

It seems that the predictions of Netflix’s imminent demise in some quarters was premature.

They're a player, no doubt about it, but the old guard are catching up and in the case of Disney, have already overtaken them.

cheekyangus Perhaps I've might have misread the articles, but isn't this basic tier with ads missing out on some content? So, it's not quite the full service, regardless of picture quality.

• So do I!

They're a player, no doubt about it, but the old guard are catching up and in the case of Disney, have already overtaken them.

cheekyangus Perhaps I've might have misread the articles, but isn't this basic tier with ads missing out on some content? So, it's not quite the full service, regardless of picture quality.

Up to 10% of titles will be missing from the basic tier due to licensing restrictions, according to the Netflix CEO.

• That's what I read too, seems a bit odd to me. Either the titles are licensed or they're not.

It won't be as straightforward as that. Some licenses dictate how the content is presented.

In this instance it may be that it specified that it wasn't to be shown beside advertising. Maybe they got a better licensing price by opting for that and now it's biting them in the rear end?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!