New cheaper Netflix tier with ads on the way

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Netflix 'is getting ads this year' as huge membership price cut revealed
    NETFLIX could launch a new version of its app with advertisements later this year. A leaked company memo hints that a “cheaper” tier will be available as soon…
    www.thesun.co.uk

After their share price collapse, Netflix has now confirmed that ads are on the way in a new cheaper tier. At £5.49 per month, who is interested in this?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Certainly not me. I subscribe to streamers to avoid the commercials and to get a far superior choice compared with the TV channel menus.

My ‘Old Boy’s TV Choice’ thread contains less real choice than ever before at the moment so I think that once ITVX launches, there will be even more incentive to dispense with the linear TV channels once and for all.

However, a cheaper version of the streamer with ads is a good move by Netflix to bring in more revenue with additional subscribers who can’t or don’t want to pay too much for their viewing. By the same token, some would reduce their subscription and put up with the ads, thereby reducing the projected improvement to their finances.

I think they should also have a free tier for those who do not pay for their TV viewing, although I suspect that less choice would be available to them.

• Not me either. We pay premium and get decent content for it which is what we want. We’ll rarely watch live TV anyway and if it’s not Netflix, it will be Amazon Prime or Brit Box or catch-up on the main channels. So we want value for money.

Can understand though if people wanted to choose this cheaper tier as a way of saving money and of course more subscribers and revenue for Netflix.

• And, also with all these streamers, the cost adds up. Don't forget there's still Paramount+ and the new Warner/Discovery streamer to come on top of what we already have.

My ‘Old Boy’s TV Choice’ thread contains less real choice than ever before at the moment so I think that once ITVX launches, there will be even more incentive to dispense with the linear TV channels once and for all.

Just on ITX specfically for a second, I see they are going to premier new dramas, or at least some new dramas on the streamer several months before it appears on the channel, so they really are pushing the streaming option over their main channel.

However, a cheaper version of the streamer with ads is a good move by Netflix to bring in more revenue with additional subscribers who can’t or don’t want to pay too much for their viewing. By the same token, some would reduce their subscription and put up with the ads, thereby reducing the projected improvement to their finances.

I think they should also have a free tier for those who do not pay for their TV viewing, although I suspect that less choice would be available to them.

My feeling is, that should do something like what Amazon have done. Amazon have their free streamer with ads which shows mainly older stuff and their main streamer without. It would be nice if Netflix did something like that. It's a bit bizarre paying for a streamer with ads, albeit at a low cost.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!