Online Safety Bill - a woke’s charter?

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.

• The Online Safety Bill seems to be a sensible measure on the face of it, but I wonder whether there will be unintended consequences?

My concern is ‘mission creep’ - more and more material could come under the microscope and lead to prosecutions of individuals who were not aware that their sincerely held views could fall foul of the law.

I am particularly concerned that some posters on here, notably our resident troll, will no longer be able to spout her hate for the older generation due to the restrictions imposed by the Equality Act…. ;)

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• All the Laws and Regulations that Governments have introduced over many years have had to be put in place to protect the majority from the few that do not know how to behave , I detest liars , bad manners and bullies.

Sadly the Internet is a perfect tool for these cowards to abuse others verbally because they can remain in the shadows, the unscrupulous and criminals out there also use the net to carry out a variety of criminal acts, it is they who have caused the Government to bring in more regulations.

Glad to say most people who use the net are good and decent

• Geez how behind the times are you. This is nothing new and the snoopers charter has been around for years. The online safety bill is just an extension of that so it's already creeping. Why do you think so many people now use a VPN to bypass their ISP by encrypting traffic through a tunnel so ISP's only see that your connected to a VPN providers VPS server somewhere in the world. VPN are mainstream now hence why Nord advertise on UK TV. Some ISPs and websites are even punishing people for using a VPN so some VPN providers have found a way to to get around that now and camouflage the fact your connected to a VPN.

Why should ISP's be legally forced into playing policeman or in reality ISP's throttling the bandwidth and keeping records for a service you pay for but are not getting if you view a site considered Illegal or not favoured politically. Even ISP's don't want to have to police things as that's not their job and it's bad for business and their customers. They are now losing out on the data harvested to sell to marketing companies etc to the more dodgy VPN providers including those in places China outside of 14 eyes so in effect we are funding places like China through the abuse of freedom and the right to privacy. Even the BVI is possibly soon to be within 5 eyes so all those VPN providers and users will move to places like China or Russia now.

Britain to impose ‘direct rule’ on British Virgin Islands
    Britain is poised to impose direct rule over the British Virgin Islands after an inquiry found rampant corruption problems in the territory.
    ukdefencejournal.org.uk

And lets be clear about this using a VPN or other form of encryption does not mean you are a criminal or doing something illegal, it just means your bypassing censorship not to mention increasing your own security from the gov and other criminals. If you live in Spain why should you not be able to access the BBC iPlayer for example if you have a TV license registered at your other address back in the UK and why should you not be able to access Netflix and other streaming services abroad (including YouTube) from the UK etc. And why should you put yourself at risk and looked upon as a criminal and have your bandwidth throttled as punishment if you use P2P for sharing work content securely amongst collogues just because torrents are also used for piracy. Lets not forget that the workplace is also legally obliged to protect and secure their customers data especially where highly sensitive data is used. So in effect the taking away of our privacy has the side effect of making us all less secure therefore the crime rate will increase and we feed more money to territories outside of 5 or even more extreme outside of 14 eyes.

I wonder if Rishis wife's family business has any shares in one or more VPN providers. A very dubious marketing company with links to Israeli intelligence has not long taken over VPN Express in the BVI. She has shares in the Rwanda immigrants centre so this could be another move to grab some cash.

• When it comes to Computer technology yes a late starter , but I have not been asleep I do know what goes on in the world and the net if the ISP providers will not or don't Police their own service well enough then of course Governments may have to step in with legislation

Lets not forget that new technology Computers, Encrypted phones are used Criminals Scammers, Terrorists International Criminal Gangs , Paedophiles Hostile Governments, that is why Police/ Security Services in the UK and other nations employ Experts to comb the net Dark Web I think its called to try and track them down.

They are not interested in what goes on in here or keeping in touch with friends and families or whatever , as for personnel Data, that is what the Data Protection Act is all about.

I don't care how much money other people may have I don't do envy , they can't take it with them when their time is up , there are no pockets in a shroud

• When it comes to Computer technology yes a late starter , but I have not been asleep

Geez how behind the times are you was aimed at OB as the thread starter.

It's not the job of an ISP to play police. That is the job for the Police otherwise why do we have a Police force. As for terrorist activity that can be done by GCHQ Bude who can break most encryption algorithms if they really need to as most have built in backdoors for those in the know with powerful enough supercomputers. What they are trying to do here will not only increase crime, not reduce it, but also feed more money into what we may consider enemy or criminal hands. Sharing your life and personal information with the world is not a good idea. Who do you think sells personal data to sites on the Dark Web. Nearly everyday we hear of some computer server being hacked and personal info sold on the Dark Web. Next thing we hear is that credit card fraud is on the increase or spam phishing email and attacks etc are on the increase.

The ISP's are the criminals here as they can take you data and sell it to marketing companies who then sell it on around the world or worse still poorly paid workers may take data to sell and make some money on the side with it. The same way that it's those that work in the movie industry that leak and support piracy of films. Call system handlers, network administrators, maintenance engineers etc will all have access to data and if encrypted some of them may even have the keys. It all comes down to who you trust and I trust my data more with my VPN provider than I do a UK company. The UK gov and authorities don't even get a look in and are the last people I would trust to keep me and my data safe. FFS we have a NHS system with highly sensitive data on that got hacked because they where using Windows 7 LOL It will be great fun when heart monitors and pace makers are eventually connected to the net. They don't need more nurses...they need more pentesters.

• Geez calm down you will blow a gasket on your PC.

The Police, Special Branch Anti Terrorism all work closely with our Secret Service they always have for flipping years, Police have their own Computerised Intelligence System populated by the Police imputing all and any information they are told or see themselves, all of which can be accessed by the others higher up the food chain

Of course GCHQ come into it they are part of it , but is the Anti Terrorist Unit and MI5 who do all the leg work and surveillance on the ground not from behind a keyboard.

The people who have more info on all us is the Finance Companies and we tell them everything and anything to get a Mortgage , Loan , or Credit Card they know every transaction we make, well them and the old woman curtain twitcher who lives ay No 7

I don't care what the authorities do if it means me and mine are safer, I have nothing to hide, nor am I paranoid

• I don't care what the authorities do if it means me and mine are safer,

That's where your wrong they are not making us safer. Why do think we have such high crime rates. If the authorities didn't s send us into Iraq we wouldn't have the terrorist problems we now have. If you have nothing to hide can I have your name, address and banking details please :P

• If you are so adept with Technology you should be able to tell me what my bank account is, you will never find my biscuit tin under the garden shed 8|   ^^

We have had to endure acts Terrorism for years going back to the early 1900's , mainly from the IRA who were also active on the Mainland even during WW2, they worked with and for the Nazi's

The far left armed anarchists which ended up with a shoot out with the Army and Police the siege of Sydney Street, lots more after that, so did other countries in Europe Red Army Faction and others, they like us also have been attacked by Extreme Muslims Groups .

Yes Blair made us a target by taking us to war in Iraq he also committed out troops to at least four more conflicts, one day he maybe held to account, however in my opinion they were coming for the West anyway Blair just brought them here sooner.

As for the Crime on our streets sad to say most of the violence is generated by drugs, lack of parental control, lacy of discipline at home and in some schools , we have had Muggers Burglars , Rapists Fraudsters among us for years unfortunately, as per usual we don't have enough Police never have had, and they cant do their Job on their own

• Good posting Fred.. :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!