National rail strike on the cards

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • TBQH I'd press the nuclear button: Close the railways completely. Automate the whole thing, most of this is already in place, then reopen with 1/10 the staff with no chance of lefty loons holding the public to ransom.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I blame the government for these strikes. They’re refusing to get round the table and talk and have no interest. Why may I ask?

Well, it could just be that the government is not the employer - the train companies are.

The unions would dearly love to be slogging it out with the government, just as they did with the miners unions back in the day.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Yes as soon as I read the RMT Leaderships credentials far left extremists I knew that this is a Politically Motivated Strike, one of them posed for pictures holding an AK47 Assault Rifle in Russia showing support for Putin the Madman.

Out of the entire UK workforce only 6.4 million of them belong to a Union ,

• The teachers and the NHS workers will be next. This is a co-ordinated attack by the unions and it must be resisted with a robust response from the government and the employers.

Take away the legal immunity the unions have for financial damage caused to employers and issue ultimatums to employees to confirm they will work normally or face dismissal.

As fewer employees are trade union members these days, the unions may find it more of a struggle to cause the kind of disruption seen in the 1970s for any length of time.

• I blame the government for these strikes. They’re refusing to get round the table and talk and have no interest. Why may I ask?

I think they’re too busy playing politics. Publicly condemning the strikes but privately hoping they take place and there’s disruption so they can blame Labour for “being in the pockets” of the union barons. It’s a classic Tory electoral ploy and rather underlined the cynicism of this government.

Bang on.....

Note how the gov and media have put focus on driver wages when the drivers are not even members of the RMT and the majority are members of ASLEF. The problem is that the members of the RMT are required for the smooth running of trains so if they strike then drivers can't work if the signal man is not in his box or there is nobody to operate the platform. Believe it or not some parts of the country still use manual levers to operate signals and tracks. Heck...I bet a train is not allowed to run unless the cleaners have been in and cleaned up the mess in the carriages and at the same time done a visual inspection for any suspect bags left on the train. How much do they get paid. Saying that I have heard it's not so much over pay but about the cut backs on staffing levels, making redundancies and putting extra hours and /or jobs onto workers. In other words the ones left have to take up the slack, do more work for the same wage, which then affects passenger safety.

• All who work on the Railways are responsible for the smooth running of the Railways be they Union Members of not like any other workplace that is what they are paid to do, if they do not like the pay and conditions they are free to leave at anytime they like.

As for Aslef the Union Leader is Mick Whelan who is on a salary of £100,000 plus a year is as far to the Left as the Leadership of the RMT, they are working together to organise this Politically Motivated strike, they want a confrontation with the Tory Government .

During Covid the Tory Government they hate bailed the Railways out with £16 Billion of taxpayers money , the Teachers Union again left wing led is threatening to strike over pay , a Coincidence ? I think not,

The Government quite rightly is not getting involved because as already been said quite rightly the Rail System is not owned by the Government, besides the RMT state they will not negotiate with a Tory Government

The Union state they are striking to prevent Job loses redundancies, as far as I am aware there is no plan to sack staff , and any redundancies will be voluntarily, some 5,000 members of staff when asked stated they are interested in taking redundancy if it is offered.

Bottom line is if the Railways like any other business if not profitable it will go under , many thousands of workers across the UK may lose wages if they cannot get to work, key essential workers may not be able to get to work, etc our economy will take yet another big financial hit .

These Union Dinosaurs don't give a toss about anyone else, they want to cause as much unrest as they can , their ultimate aim IMO is to bring the democratically elected Government down, if they succeed put your watch back 50 years to the bad old days

• The teachers and the NHS workers will be next. This is a co-ordinated attack by the unions and it must be resisted with a robust response from the government and the employers.

Take away the legal immunity the unions have for financial damage caused to employers and issue ultimatums to employees to confirm they will work normally or face dismissal.

As fewer employees are trade union members these days, the unions may find it more of a struggle to cause the kind of disruption seen in the 1970s for any length of time.

With rampant inflation it’s little wonder people are looking for a pay rise

How much will MPs be awarded ?

Who says it’s coordinated ,The Daily Mail ?

• Yes as soon as I read the RMT Leaderships credentials far left extremists I knew that this is a Politically Motivated Strike, one of them posed for pictures holding an AK47 Assault Rifle in Russia showing support for Putin the Madman.

Out of the entire UK workforce only 6.4 million of them belong to a Union ,

Who are you referring to ?

• With rampant inflation it’s little wonder people are looking for a pay rise

How much will MPs be awarded ?

Who says it’s coordinated ,The Daily Mail ?

Large Pay Rises increases price rises and pushes up inflation even higher

• The Rail Unions are threatening more strikes between now and Christmas, if they do our economy will be badly effected some businesses trying to recover after Covid may not survive putting many people out of work , do the Rail Unions care ? No they want the Tories out of office

• All these comments about the rail unions reminds me of Scargill & the miners.

Scargill walked right into Maggies trap in the early 80s but deep down he was right about the government wanting to close pits.

• Labour closed more Pits as they were no longer viable uneconomical before the Tories were voted back into power and Maggie became PM, she knew full well what Scargill would do and was ready for him and his Flying Pickets, after the strike was over some mines had fallen into disrepair the only thing to do was keep them shut

The demand for coal had dropped , clean air act, no steam trains. factories changed to oil fired boilers schools no longer heated by coal, plus of course imported good quality cheaper coal was available, homes had gas fires, gas central heating, etc

Scargill failed to bring down the Government by force as was his intention, Voters kept the Tories in power for 18 years because the voters wanted them in power not Labour, Labour got back in eventually under Blair and true to form they made a right mess of it , we were broke again they had spent so much.

That is why to date the voters still don't want Labour in power, to me that says they don't want a far left Government

• Barristers are now going to take strike action starting next Monday over a row about Legal Aid , Teachers, Doctors and Rubbish Collectors may also strike ,

• Large Pay Rises increases price rises and pushes up inflation even higher

Current inflation is driven primarily by energy & fuel costs which impact on the price of almost everything.

The government has nothing to attempt to control this .

If Johnson was a genuine world leader he’d be pushing the Saudis to pump more oil

• I know what is causing inflation our Government cannot do anything about it nor can others Governments thanks to the far left Putin who is causing the energy crisis, you have no idea what Johnson or our diplomats are or may be doing behind the scenes nor other Governments

• I know what is causing inflation our Government cannot do anything about it nor can others Governments thanks to the far left Putin who is causing the energy crisis, you have no idea what Johnson or our diplomats are or may be doing behind the scenes nor other Governments

They could cut VAT and green taxes if they wanted to. The base cost rising as it has will increase the tax take significantly. The chancellor's budget assumes a certain amount of revenue from energy which must be being grossly exceeded by this windfall caused the global price increases. May they could cut the tax or impose a windfall tax on themselves ;)

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Current inflation is driven primarily by energy & fuel costs which impact on the price of almost everything.

The government has nothing to attempt to control this .

If Johnson was a genuine world leader he’d be pushing the Saudis to pump more oil

I’m sure the Saudis are quite happy keeping the flow as it is and raking in the money. After our criticism of the Crown Prince, I don’t think that country is falling over itself to do us any favours, which is what happens when you mix politics with business.

• They could and perhaps they should, if I recall correctly they have been considering it

Nothing more will happen until the Chancellor makes his autumn budget plans. Then we will have a better idea of where oil prices are going and he will be able to make a decision on how to help people through the winter.

I think the answer will be to temporarily cut tax on fuel, which would dampen inflationary pressures by avoiding problems with workers demanding ever bigger pay rises.

A windfall tax is really a one-off payment, so any offsetting for fuel increases under such a tax, by its very nature, will be time limited.

• Nothing more will happen until the Chancellor makes his autumn budget plans. Then we will have a better idea of where oil prices are going and he will be able to make a decision on how to help people through the winter.

I think the answer will be to temporarily cut tax on fuel, which would dampen inflationary pressures by avoiding problems with workers demanding ever bigger pay rises.

A windfall tax is really a one-off payment, so any offsetting for fuel increases under such a tax, by its very nature, will be time limited.

Except nothing much will happen, why not do something now ?

He’ll make some token gesture, & the Daily Mail will present it as big win for the people of this country.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!