Back to imperial weights and measures.

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • I think the OP needs to clarify the thread topic and provide a link.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Here is a selection of opinions on the subject.

Imperial measures drive will add costs for businesses, Asda boss says
    Supermarket chief says a review of how shops could use pounds and ounces again is "utter nonsense".
    www.bbc.co.uk

Imperial measurements will bring back 'British culture', says MP
    A Tory MP has said the UK will adopt imperial measures to bring back 'British culture and heritage.'
    www.euronews.com

Boris Johnson’s move to bring back imperial units is pure piffle – and simply unfathomable | James Vincent
    The prime minister is tapping into a history of xenophobia, pseudoscience and fears over lost political sovereignty, says author James Vincent
    www.theguardian.com

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• I don't have an axe to grind on this subject. I was bought up in the era when we had both units in use from the early 1970's. When I was an apprentice we used metric and imperial units so that we would be familiar with both so I don't really mind.

The only thing for me is that if you tell me your height in metric I will convert to feet and inches otherwise it has no meaning in terms of something I can understand. Similarly speed measurements have to be mph not kph or it means nothing to me...and I have been using metric for 50 years now!!

I can't say I think this is a priority. Perhaps Boris and his team of big brains should focus on more pressing matters like ...shall we say...the price of energy, petrol and diesel? And removing any policies that drive cost of living up rather than down. Maybe I am just full of wishful thinking.

Celebrate it, Anticipate it, Yesterday's faded, Nothing can change it, Life's what you make it

• Heero Yuy

Changed the title of the thread from “Back to imper” to “Back to impererial weights and measures.”.
  • Truebrit

Changed the title of the thread from “Back to impererial weights and measures.” to “Back to imperial weights and measures.”.
  • Thread title amended.

When I started at school it was wholely imperial and pounds, shillings and pence money. Long division in that was nasty.

Some things I've always used imperial like body weight and height. When measuring distances I tend to use the most convenient scale.

For cooking I tend to use metric just because it's easier with small quantities and calories are for 100 grams of product as a rule.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Apologies for the typo

I work in aviation where ,if you work Boeing inches it still the norm.

We still use the old measures where we like pints mph etc

Nothing else is worth changing in my opinion

• When I use the CAD for laying out a PCB it's convenient to work in imperial as a mil (one thousndth of an inch) is a very convenient measure like "6 mil track and gap" whereas fractions of a mm (awkward) or microns (too many) are inconvenient.

Aviation always use feet for altitude. IIRC one of the explorer craft sent to Mars crashed because the Americans were using feet and the Europens used metres.

4312-gwban-gif

• Car tyre sizes always makes me chuckle

Typical size would be 245/45/20 this breaks down as follows:

Tyre tread width is millimetres = 245mm

Side wall height or Aspect Ratio is a % of the tyre width = 45% of 245mm

Tyre diametre is inches = 20 inches

This is the global standard and has been for years.

The French tried to introduce a fully metric tyre back in the 1980's but it was too expensive and didn't catch on. I have always been amazed that the EU never waded into this and dictated the use of metric.

• I don't have an axe to grind on this subject. I was bought up in the era when we had both units in use from the early 1970's. When I was an apprentice we used metric and imperial units so that we would be familiar with both so I don't really mind.

The only thing for me is that if you tell me your height in metric I will convert to feet and inches otherwise it has no meaning in terms of something I can understand. Similarly speed measurements have to be mph not kph or it means nothing to me...and I have been using metric for 50 years now!!

Exact same here. I also have to convert body weight from KG to stones to but when is comes sockets and spanners I am happy with ether Metric or Imperial and can switch from one to another accept that slight difference may not quite fit as snugly but a 9/16th will always be a 14mm LOL

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!